HornsInTheHouse
(2500+ posts)
07/28/08 09:42 PM
Are you an alumnus if you didn't graduate?

Students aren't considered alumni because they haven't completed their education. Do you consider someone who leaves UT or any university without getting their degree an alum? I think part of being an alum is the common success of jumping through all the hoops, taking the required classes, and getting a degree.

4th&5
(1000+ posts)
07/28/08 10:10 PM
Re: Are you an alumnus if you didn't graduate?

Merriam-Webster definition: 1 : a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

IsThatATitleist?
(25+ posts)
07/28/08 11:57 PM

Nope.

blueag09
(250+ posts)
07/29/08 12:03 AM

American Heritage Dictionary: "a male [or female] graduate or former student of a school, college, or university."

Wikipedia: "The Ex-Students' Association of The University of Texas (more commonly known as Texas Exes) is the association of former students of The University of Texas at Austin."

GatorDave
(500+ posts)
07/29/08 07:47 AM

Do you think UT is going to tell Michael Dell that he is not an alum?

"Thanks for those millions you donated, but you're still a poser."

TexasStarHorn
(25+ posts)
07/29/08 08:06 AM

This is what aggy calls their "loophole." They don't have alumni, they have Former Students. I had a professor that did undergrad at A&M and she said all you have to do was go to one class on one day and you can get your "former student" sticker. Lame.

MilkmanDan
(5000+ posts)
07/29/08 08:46 AM

In reply to:

This is what aggy calls their "loophole." They don't have alumni, they have Former Students.

No, their claim is there's no such thing as an ex-Aggie, which is why they don't have an ex-students association.

I'm with 4th & 5 - the term for someone that puts in the work, jumps through the hoops, and gets a degree is "graduate".

Texas Taps
(2500+ posts)
07/29/08 01:12 PM

If alum = graduate then Longhorn fan = Foundation member

jbentley0813
(25+ posts)
08/01/08 09:20 PM

Texas Star Horn> I'm pretty sure that the Texas Exes have the same qualifications. After my first freshman year, I got an invitation to join the ex-students association before I got my final grade report. I considered it a bad sign.

tex-horn
(250+ posts)
08/01/08 10:36 PM

In reply to:

Texas Star Horn> I'm pretty sure that the Texas Exes have the same qualifications. After my first freshman year, I got an invitation to join the ex-students association before I got my final grade report. I considered it a bad sign.

Sounds like you were invited to the TESC. It's different than the alumni texas exes. I am almost certain you have to have a degree to be one of the full members.

Texas Taps
(2500+ posts)
08/02/08 11:21 AM

In reply to:

Whether you’re joining because you’re excited about giving back to your alma mater or because you want to hang out in the Alumni Center on game days, becoming a Member of the Texas Exes is a great way to stay involved with UT once you’ve received your diploma.

Texas Exes

jbentley0813
(25+ posts)
08/02/08 12:52 PM

That statement doesn't mean much. I'm sure that they're not going to have something online that says "once you've received your diploma or flunked out three times and finally gave up and went to SWT."

It's an interesting question. I think I'll call them Monday.

blueag09
(250+ posts)
08/02/08 02:23 PM

This probably just serves to encourage people to get their diploma if they want to be a part of the Texas Exes. I don't think the diploma is a requirement to join though.

LonghorninAustin
(250+ posts)
08/02/08 02:31 PM

You don't have to have attended UT to be a member of Texas-Exes, either as a yearly member or a life member.

MilkmanDan
(5000+ posts)
08/02/08 03:52 PM

In reply to:

Though we carry it out in a hundred different ways, the Texas Exes mission is simple: To unite, inform and involve alumni and friends for the purpose of promoting, protecting and preserving The University of Texas.

Texas Exes

The Texas Exes and Longhorn Foundation are equally discerning in who they will accept money from. And the Exes won't charge your credit card months prior to providing what you paid for.

BA93
(5000+ posts)
08/02/08 04:17 PM

If someone told me they were an alumni of UT but never graduated; I wouldn't put them in the same category as someone who graduated from UT.

But then again, I don't think I've ever used the word alumni when describing myself. I say I'm a graduate of UT. I don't mean it as a put-down to someone who didn't graduate but its just what I say.

Tailgate
(1000+ posts)
08/02/08 06:56 PM

The Texas - Exes need to change their name if they continue to accept people who are not "Exes."

Let's not be aggie.

LonghorninAustin
(250+ posts)
08/02/08 08:05 PM

Texas-Exes is the opposite of aggy by accepting people who never attended. Aggy drones on and on about how one is not an aggie unless he graduated from a&m. Texas is much more accepting than that.

Professors at Texas, people who have attended other colleges and move to Austin and then feel a closeness to UT, people who marry Texas' grads, are examples of people who want to contribute by giving to the Ex-Students Association.

If you graduated then after your name on the roster it has your graduation date and the initials for your degree, e. g. John Smith, BS '04, MS '06, PhD '08 and if you didn't then it just says, Friend. I'm not sure what it says if you attended but did not complete a degree.

Bill in Sinton
(1000+ posts)
08/03/08 08:52 AM

I bet the alumni assoociation would consider them alumni even if they haven't graduated if they send them money.

LITNIN HORN
(500+ posts)
08/03/08 04:33 PM

alumnus = male who graduated or attended an institution
alumnae = female ..........as above
alumni = plural of above(never an individual)

UTIceberg
(1000+ posts)
08/04/08 03:50 PM

All my exes live in Texas.

Horn69
(10,000+ posts)
08/04/08 04:19 PM

Mrs. Horn69, because she is loyal to her husband and children - all of whom are graduates of The University and she herself is actually a graduate of BlowU, is a dues-paying member of the Texas Exes.

Hook'em!!!

BevoDan
(250+ posts)
08/04/08 04:50 PM

I was not fortunate enough to attend Texas- Austin, but I did graduate from Texas-Dallas. At that time UTD had no alumni association, so being a Longhorn fan since the early 60's I became a Life Member of The Texas Exes. There are times that I feel funny saying I'm a Texas EX, but should I?

TornACL
(5000+ posts)
08/04/08 07:23 PM

My dad graduated from LSU and never stepped foot on the UT campus except to attend football games from time to time.

When I enrolled at UT, he decided to contribute to the University, and he did so....by becoming a paying member of the Texas Exes.

All you have to be able to do is sign your name to a check, and you're a member.

I'm Batman
(< 25 posts)
08/04/08 09:25 PM

UT has long been blessed by the resources and fervent support of the proud people of Texas and should be considered an institution that belongs to each one of them.