Bevo Incognito
(5000+ posts)
03/25/12 05:47 AM
Bill Byrne struck by cold reality

This is the sound of reality dawning on all the Aggies:

In reply to:

"I feel badly about that," Byrne said. "I'm very foolish. I assumed -- and it was a rash assumption on my part -- that our friends over in the state capital would want to continue playing us. It turns out they didn't think we were as much of a rival as we thought of them."

The Link

Gee Bill ... ya think? It makes me wonder, though, what A&M is paying BB for, given that Dodds said that we wouldn't play them again if they bolted to the SEC.

FWHORN
(5000+ posts)
03/25/12 06:20 AM
Re: Bill Byrne struck by cold reality

Byrne never wanted to leave the Big XII, the move was done over his objection. Still I will not miss his childish "friends in the state capital" remarks. I find it interesting that he now admits it was the LHN that caused the move while in the same breath saying it is going to fail. If its going to fail then why is it the reason you moved and killed a 100 plus year rivalry? Just makes no sense.

Longtex
(100+ posts)
03/25/12 07:15 AM

In reply to:

... just makes no sense.

agy logic? Sure, it does, if you're an agymoron... sorta like an oxymoron, but pretty ugly.

TheGallopinGoose
(5000+ posts)
03/25/12 07:24 AM

In reply to:

"You wouldn't believe how many Big 12 logos we have up around this campus because we were one of the original members," Byrne said.

What, you were expecting to see a bunch of Conference USA logos around campus?

dillohorn
(500+ posts)
03/25/12 07:53 AM

L4UT
(100+ posts)
03/25/12 08:36 AM

and he still can't speak the truth - still playing the victim - Texas was going to start their own network no matter what - all was fine until espn offered $300 million - he's just jealous because it wasn't his program offered that - the tidbit about high school games is bogus - that was settled pretty quickly - the network might not work and that's fine - we still get our money and we will try something else - our program won't be a "welfare" program - we will continue to try new avenues and not expect other schools, programs and conferences to support us -
his spewing this info and the aggy administration's attitude on how it's all Texas' fault - is exactly why we won't play them and i'm glad we are not

blonthang
(1000+ posts)
03/25/12 09:20 AM

In reply to:

"You wouldn't believe how many Big 12 logos we have up around this campus because we were one of the original members," Byrne said.

aggy and 11 other schools. $Bill makes it sound like aggy was something special.

Oh, and dittos on the "our friends over at the state capitol." Sounds like some junior high snot who still whines "GIRLS??, oohh, I HATE girls!."

And they wonder why we slammed the door after they walked out?

Good riddance, aggy.

Mr. Fiesta
(500+ posts)
03/25/12 10:13 AM

In reply to:

they didn't think we were as much of a rival as we thought of them

No shit....

LonghorninAustin
(1000+ posts)
03/25/12 10:31 AM

In reply to:

It turns out they didn't think we were as much of a rival as we thought of them.

Wow. You would have to be hiding under a rock for your entire life to not know that aggy is all about beating UT and that we focus on winning national championships and beating ousucks.

It is really going to be interesting to see how aggy is in a few years without us. It has to be hard on them since their traditions for the last 100 years have been about Texas. They have lost their reason for existing and if they flop in the sec it is going to really hurt their psyche.

Dionysus
(5000+ posts)
03/25/12 01:30 PM

Aggy — not unlike some graffiti artists — lives at the intersection of ambition and incompetence. Consumed with desire to make their mark on the world, but all they have in hand is a fucking can of Rustoleum.

LonghornCatholic
(2500+ posts)
03/25/12 03:37 PM

In reply to:

It turns out they didn't think we were as much of a rival as we thought of them.

But don't let that stop you from swaying back and forth as you sing about us.

watashi
(500+ posts)
03/25/12 04:48 PM

He's such an ass. Hurry up to the SEC and STFU.

agssuk
(500+ posts)
03/25/12 05:14 PM

Dionysus,

That is the greatest post ever.

Horn89
(1000+ posts)
03/25/12 06:29 PM

The point about the LHN needs to be restated. Over on texags, two mantras are repeated like gospel:

1) LHN was horribly unfair and created an insurmountable athletic advantage, prompting the aggies to go to a more "fair" league (this ignores the fact that the ags rejected our offer to be part of a Texas sports network AND the fact that they were never in favor of equal revenue sharing).

2) LHN is a giant flop. Ha ha ha. Egg on the face of UT. Ha ha ha. Huge failure. No one can get it. Ha ha ha.

Statalyzer
(25,000+ posts)
03/25/12 06:48 PM

In reply to:

It turns out that we left and cancelled the rivalry. Whoops!

Third Coast
(10,000+ posts)
03/25/12 07:08 PM

In reply to:

Aggy — not unlike some graffiti artists — lives at the intersection of ambition and incompetence. Consumed with desire to make their mark on the world, but all they have in hand is a [censored] can of Rustoleum.

taggies?

No le hace
(250+ posts)
03/25/12 07:34 PM

In the words of Philbert Desenix, also known as Wonder Wart Hog......... aggies is pigs!

Texas Taps
(5000+ posts)
03/25/12 07:37 PM

Alex, I'll take “Wake up and smell the coffee for $100"

Trusted Insider
(250+ posts)
03/25/12 08:01 PM

They are tailor made for the SEC. It's the only place on Earth where it's respectable to suck off the guys who kick your ass. And they absolutely love it. They have a Kentucky fan who posts on Texags who talks to those idiots like a man to his child, teaching the ins and outs of football.

LonghornCatholic
(2500+ posts)
03/25/12 08:54 PM

In reply to:

They have a Kentucky fan who posts on Texags who talks to those idiots like a man to his child, teaching the ins and outs of football.

I laughed for 30 minutes

ProdigalHornModerator
(500+ posts)
03/25/12 09:20 PM

There's something inherently wrong about a post that links "reality" and "Aggieland".

RomaVicta
(10,000+ posts)
03/25/12 11:04 PM

They're culture of conformity is antithetical to the culture of the state of Texas. Some of them are so happy to have a group to belong and claim credit by association. They think that all of the SEC will be wrapping arms over necks, swaying and singing "Saw Varsity's horns off" like a happy family.

In three years, they'll have stories about the rude fans of the SEC and how they themselves are the classiest fans in the conference. It will be the same consolation song they sang as they were getting kicked around the Big XII in the major sports.

As an aside, I think the rise of Texas Tech meat judging may be as big a factor as the LHN in their decision to flee.

Sangre Naranjada
(10,000+ posts)
03/26/12 06:05 AM

$Bill still has it wrong. We're not their "friends".

Sangre Naranjada
(10,000+ posts)
03/26/12 06:10 AM

In reply to:

No one is trying to get out of the Southeastern Conference. That's not true of the current conference we're in."

Not any more. After you dorks took off, our conference got a lot more attractive.

johnnyhorn
(500+ posts)
03/26/12 07:22 AM

In reply to:

No one is trying to get out of the Southeastern Conference. That's not true of the current conference we're in."

If the Big 10 were ever to expand and make an offer to Missouri, Missouri would leave the SEC in a heartbeat.

Trusted Insider
(250+ posts)
03/26/12 09:33 AM

It's a true statement though - that nobody wants out. There is a reason for it. That part of the country identifies more with their region than any other part. I was reading a thread on Texags where a Tennessee fan said he was a Southerner first, a Tennessean second and didn't quite care if he was American. Schools like Missouri and A&M won't quite fit that profile, which along with the fact that they are fairly mediocre athletically, could ultimately cause the SEC to be much more like all of the other conferences.
Other conferences are just athletic conferences, whereas the SEC is the living Confederacy.

geode
(25+ posts)
03/26/12 09:48 AM

There is always a lot of infatuation about A&M singing about UT. Anybody want to venture a guess where these lyrics come from "Texas Fight! Texas Fight! And it's goodbye to A&M!" Just sayin!

J.R.69
(1000+ posts)
03/26/12 10:25 AM

Re: "There is always a lot of infatuation about A&M singing about UT. Anybody want to venture a guess where these lyrics come from "Texas Fight! Texas Fight! And it's goodbye to A&M!" Just sayin! "

The correct wording is "...and it's good-bye to ALL THE REST"

blonthang
(1000+ posts)
03/26/12 10:31 AM

Well, actually the lyrics for the aggy and Texas' fight songs are below (note: HornFans automatically changes "Texa$University to
The University of Texas" --- I had to use the $ sign here to make this edit understandable.

One might note a glaring difference --- the aggy song has 13 lines --- 6 refer to The University of Texas.

Texas Fight comes in at 22 lines --- only the 2nd line says something about aggy.

Oh, and Texas fans don't sway back and forth "sawing aggy's horns off". We just sing about how we're proud to be Longhorns.

Big difference.

-------
Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!
Good-bye to The University of Texas
So long to the Orange and the White
Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys that show the real old fight
"The eyes of Texas are upon you..."
That is the song they sing so well
So good-bye to The University of Texas
We're going to beat you all to--
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!

------------------------

Texas Fight! Texas Fight!
And it's goodbye to A&M.
And we'll put over one more win.
For it's Texas that we love best.
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here,
And it's goodbye to all the rest!

Yea, Orange! Yea, White!
Yea, Longhorns! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Yea, Texas Fight!
Yea, Texas Fight!
The 'Eyes of Texas' are upon you,
All the live long day!
The 'Eyes of Texas' are upon you,
You cannot get away!
For it's Texas that we love best!
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!
And it's goodbye to all the rest!

Dionysus
(5000+ posts)
03/26/12 10:37 AM

In reply to:

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

What the fuck kind of homo-blabber is this anyway?

Sangre Naranjada
(10,000+ posts)
03/26/12 10:54 AM

In reply to:

Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!

Never was a gayer line penned into a fight song.

majorwhiteapples
(5000+ posts)
03/26/12 10:56 AM

I would like to know from on of our Aggie posters here, with all the tradition at Texas AM, you left a conference with Traditional foes like Baylor and Texas Tech, what are your feelings about those traditional games going away because you left the conference?

If you are such a "Traditional" school, are you going to have non-conference games with Baylor and Texas Tech?

You do claim to have so many more traditions than everyone else, just curious?

When is your next game with Tech or Baylor?

majorwhiteapples
(5000+ posts)
03/26/12 10:58 AM

I would like to ask of everyone, has anybody done a financial analysis on what the loss of the game means to Texas or to AM?

Has ESPN asked AM to play on Thanksgiving?

Statalyzer
(25,000+ posts)
03/26/12 11:02 AM

In reply to:

want to venture a guess where these lyrics come from "Texas Fight! Texas Fight! And it's goodbye to A&M!"

Texas Fight has 22 references to Texas and 1 reference to Texas A&M.

The Aggie War Hymn has 16 references to Texas and 6 references to Texas A&M.

Just like the State Fair when both fanbases are wearing shirts about Texas, when UT plays A&M both schools are singing about Texas.

Trusted Insider
(250+ posts)
03/26/12 11:22 AM

In reply to:

I would like to know from on of our Aggie posters here, with all the tradition at Texas AM, you left a conference with Traditional foes like Baylor and Texas Tech, what are your feelings about those traditional games going away because you left the conference?

They don't care. They are super excited about manufactured "rivalries" in the SEC. A&M has been assigning itself rivalries since they quit the Big 12. It's actually going to be funny when nobody reciprocates.

TheGallopinGoose
(5000+ posts)
03/26/12 11:37 AM

In reply to:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the [censored] kind of homo-blabber is this anyway?

"Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem" is the sound that comes out of Bill Byrne when he has to go to the bathroom.

PropositionJoe
(500+ posts)
03/26/12 01:06 PM

In reply to:

meh. i dont really care. i never looked at them as rivals (which i suppose helps me to understand the perspective of UT fans)

In reply to:

If you are such a "Traditional" school, are you going to have non-conference games with Baylor and Texas Tech?

if TT and baylor were up to it, sure, i'd be happy with that.

i'm ambivalent on byrne's statement because it's just the same rinse and repeat stuff from the A&M brass. at some point we've got to stop talking about UT (i know that's rich coming from an A&M fan). just stop it. no toungue in cheek comments, no "friends from the state capital", nothing. just let it go.

we're jennifer aniston to the longhorn brad pitt. trying to convince everyone we're ok when inside we're pining for attention.

i want to believe (and i think i still do) that this move was not about getting from underneath UTs shadow and that this was simply what was best for us from a financial perspective. but all this obsession with a team that we're not going to play is convincing me otherwise.

i wish byrne, loftin, and everyone would let it go. dont get baited. wish the horns well and talk about how we're excited to be in the SEC.

ShinerTX
(1000+ posts)
03/26/12 01:50 PM

Gotta admit I would have never put Jennifer Anniston and A&M in the same sentence. Cannot imagine her in painted overalls.

HammerOfTheHorns
(500+ posts)
03/26/12 02:01 PM

Baylor has a better winning percentage in football against A&M than A&M does against Texas. The way you look at them is how we view you.

Trusted Insider
(250+ posts)
03/26/12 02:13 PM

To be fair, he pretty much said that.

majorwhiteapples
(5000+ posts)
03/26/12 02:57 PM

Prop Joe has to be a Texas Lurker on a Texas board pretending to be an Aggie!?!?!?!?!?!

Just when you think you have it figured out an Aggie throws you a curve ball.........

SectionThree
(500+ posts)
03/26/12 05:17 PM

Dollar Bill is stuck in a maroon cocoon. Nothing more. His often-repeated obfuscation about
"not turning down $300 million" is so transparently false. That sum did NOT come up in the
early discussions and his, uh, 'vision' did not include the reality that the network could actually
come to fruition. Only later, when espn proposed the big bucks did Mr. Stupid try to claw his
way back in. Then he was no longer needed (as aggy now finds themselves) and his crying
is funny to watch.
The success or failure of the LHN, going forward, has nothing - NOTHING - to do with what
happened.

agssuk
(500+ posts)
03/27/12 06:26 AM

So, if I read this correctly, he is convinced the LHN will fail, but left anyway?

georgecostanza
(500+ posts)
03/27/12 06:33 AM

In reply to:

So, if I read this correctly, he is convinced the LHN will fail, but left anyway?

Yep.

coolhorn
(2500+ posts)
03/27/12 08:18 AM

Concerning agricultural's new neighborhood, I've been trying to wrap my mind around one thing...

Excepting Vandy and Florida, there's a chance agricultural will be the most rational, logical bunch in that conference. Maybe I'm giving the SEC too little credit, and almost certainly, I'm giving aggy too much, and then, Byrne opens his mouth, and I think..."No,,,SEC and aggy are gonna fit like two peas in a pod"..

As an aside, I hope that, move or not, Prop Joe continues to visit here. The idea of an ag fan with REAL common sense is refreshing in so many ways.

RooskiHorn
(First Time Poster)
03/27/12 07:36 PM

Who is this aTm farmer bunch, that you guys keep speaking of? <cough, cough, sputter, sputter> The last time I checked, there is no such team, school, university, entity, etc, in the Big XII conference. Thus, what they want or need is irrelevant! lol

Oh, wait, I think I remember...... There was a Texas A&M team on our schedule for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and on..... but THEY are the ones that decided to end the series!

For a moment there, I was confused in thinking that we were talking about a legitimate group!

My advice for the farmers: concentrate on raising some cotton, and please, please, please, learn to play with your privates IN PRIVATE! lol

Hook 'em Horns!!!!!

HammerOfTheHorns
(500+ posts)
03/27/12 10:19 PM

Never hurts to keep in mind $ Bill is always primarily crafting his message to play well with Jethro Six-Pack. "The Longhorn network is an unfair competitive advantage that will inevitably fail" narrative rings true to aggie ears.

lhbruleshalftime
(500+ posts)
03/30/12 09:41 AM

By $$B's account, aggy and Mizzou have brought in 35 million new potential SEC fans, because "we're pretty popular"?

So popular that there are imaginary lines of aggy fans who can't get home football game tickets since they always sell out? Dude is selling ice to Eskimos.....