Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Archives
   >> Around Austin

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
theropods
2500+ posts
10/11/07 06:04 PM
Re: Alligator in Town Lake? [re: hornian]

In reply to:

What about snakes, crash? I have seen some of them but so far only water snakes of the non-venomous kind. Though I am sure there are moc' s in there. Just have not seen them.

I've seen a water moccasin at Town Lake, but only once. I was looking in some tall grass and it raced into the water.

As to gators in Town Lake, it is well within natural habitat range for a gator. If someone released one into Town Lake, it could probably survive just fine. I have never heard of one though. If there were credible rumors, they would make the bigger news outlets and someone would go relocate it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

TouchdownTexas
500+ posts
10/11/07 07:38 PM

I heard on the radio the other day that Killer Bee's had arrived. Everyone watch out.

"Sweet sweet nectar...it's like my pool is tearing ass around the backyard...but it's staying still. Still waters run deep." Carl

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Alpine
< 25 posts
11/19/07 10:10 PM

She probably saw Oatie, the Town Lake Monster.

Stuck_At_Work
1000+ posts
11/20/07 07:55 PM

I was on Texas Crew for a while... and I remember hitting Nutria in the lake all the time with our boat...

CleverNicknameSponsor
2500+ posts
11/21/07 12:28 PM

Aren't gator-lings like a couple bucks at those weird parks? I'm shocked nobody has released a few yet.

THEU
500+ posts
11/24/07 07:56 PM

young alligator's usually cost between 30 and 60 at a reptile swamp. I used to have a pet alligator when I lived in IL. I will say most people I know do eventually 'return' their pet alligator to a natural habitat after time. Most don't buy them with the intention to just dump them in a lake. Normally it is just that they are tired of having a gator. You can do a fair job of controling their growth rate. I had one friend who was from Mississippi and intentionally fed his gator a good bit to get him big enough to release. Took him to a swamp and let him go.

C.L. McLovinSponsor
10,000+ posts
11/24/07 09:00 PM

Does being somewhat domesticated for a certain amount of their formative years impair a gator when put into the wild? I know that most predators it does and there is a fine line of what age is acceptable to release or keep in a preserve.

Royer's Round Top pies are now available in the Metroplex area Whole Foods. Be a hit at your holiday table, worldwide. Royer's, the way "pie" will be spelled in the future.

Orange&White
2500+ posts
11/26/07 06:48 PM

In reply to:

I heard on the radio the other day that Killer Bee's had arrived. Everyone watch out.

Oh yeah, well I read that YOUR cell phone is killing all of the bees. So we don't need to watch out for those anymore.

“Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

THEU
500+ posts
11/26/07 11:18 PM
Re: Alligator in Town Lake? [re: C.L. McLovin]

C. L. I don't know about how much these small gators instincts are impaired. The couple I knew were fed live fish too, so they had to 'hunt' them in their tanks. These of course weren't large aquariums or anything, but they did have to go after the fish. We would just get them goldfish to chase. Now goldfish aren't very nutritious, so beyond that the gators ate puppy chow which is very healthy for them.

HornGrandiosoSponsor
1000+ posts
11/29/07 03:56 PM

Alligator gars aren't scary... Oh wait,

HOLY [censored]!!!!!!

CleverNicknameSponsor
2500+ posts
11/30/07 11:13 AM

I used to do the jump on the backside of Mansfield Dam. One day I scrabled up the wall, looked down the good 35' drop or so and say an enormous gar just hanging out right where I wanted to jump. I didn't jump that day, and never did again.

dognduckhornSponsor
250+ posts
12/13/07 03:20 PM

Memory is faint, but I seem to recall that the cartoonist Burke Breathed (formerly of Academia Waltz, then Bloom County and now Opus)got into trouble for releasing baby alligators into Town Lake and/or Lake Travis when he was a student at UT. Daily Texan did a story on it. I don't think any of them survived to maturity

bozo_casanova
5000+ posts
12/13/07 04:31 PM
Re: Alligator in Town Lake? [re: dognduckhorn]

In reply to:

Memory is faint, but I seem to recall that the cartoonist Burke Breathed (formerly of Academia Waltz, then Bloom County and now Opus)got into trouble for releasing baby alligators into Town Lake and/or Lake Travis when he was a student at UT. Daily Texan did a story on it. I don't think any of them survived to maturity

You are correct. And I remember hearing about this from my god father, who lost value in his property as a result of the scare. In the man's own words:
In reply to:

I wrote about an unnamed student who secretly released hundreds of baby alligators into nearby Lake Travis, which would have been compelling if I hadn't made it up. Property values around the lake plummeted over $70,000,000 the next week, which brought federal game agents into town. I was arrested, eventually—you think I'm lying again, but I'm not, check the records—and then the death threats and getting kicked out of my apartment complex and I won't bore you with the rest, except to add that some wise sage finally suggested that the cartooning desk might be where I belonged, as I could let my little imagination soar wherever it wanted, and federal agents wouldn't be needed. So I started copying Doonesbury, and you know the rest.

CleverNicknameSponsor
2500+ posts
12/13/07 06:25 PM

It sounds like he didn't actually release any baby gators, just made up the story.

pantone159
250+ posts
12/23/07 05:33 PM

Around 1999, a 3.5 foot gator was pulled from Town Lake. It was almost certainly an escaped pet (P.S. Alligators do not make good pets), somebody had painted some bright orange on its tail, presumably to help keep it in sight. It was going to be sent to a commercial farm (i.e. become wallets) but ended up at some sanctuary.

This Chronicle link mentions the story: The Link

And some photos of "Snappy":

Go Texas Soccer!! - The Link

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy