Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Rusty's Grill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
michaelpshayes
1000+ posts
06/25/07 11:49 PM
Re: Salt Lick Potato Salad [re: hornian]

In reply to:

1/3 cup Vinaigrette salad dressing

I've never had potato salad from there, but I'll try the recipe ....what kind of vinaigrette are we talking about?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

hornianSponsor
5000+ posts
07/03/07 09:17 PM

I'm making some to take to a pot luck 4th of July barbecue tomorrow (I don't want to show up the host or I'd just smoke a brisket or a pork loin or something). I'm taking pictures along the way, and we'll see how it turns out. I have the onions marinating right now, the rest of it will come later.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

hornianSponsor
5000+ posts
07/04/07 04:00 PM

Alrighty, I finally got around to making this. It was an interesting experience. I think I boiled the potatoes a little bit too long, because when I mixed everything together the consistency got a little bit closer to mashed potatoes, but oh well. It still tastes great. Oh, and I doubled the recipe, that's why I have two onions to start out with.

First things first, I got a couple of white onions:

And then I diced them up pretty darn fine. It wasn't very fun and my eyes watered a lot, but it was worth it:

Then I placed them in a tupperware, covered them with dill pickle juice, and let that marinate in the fridge over night:

This morning I boiled the potatoes, skin on. When they were done, I peeled them by hand (no tool needed, the skin slipped right off), and this is what they looked like (only two shown, I had 8 all together):

Then I chopped them up and threw them in a bowl:

A couple more potatoes joined them in the bowl (I only made half the batch at the time), and then I added the celery seed, salt, and pepper and mixed that all up:

When that was mixed up, I added about half of the marinated onions to the bowl:

And then stirred that all together:

Then I grabbed my vinaigrette dressing and salt lick barbecue sauce (I bought the spicy kind because it was all they had at my local HEB):

And I poured 1/3rd of a cup of each on top of the potatoes:

Then I mixed everything together and this is what I had:

Like I said, I think I cooked the potatoes a little too long, since all that mixing turned them into close to a mashed potato consitency, but it's still a potato salad. I left out the mayo, because the taste test said that it didn't need anything else. And as far as taste goes, it's great. The celery seed and marinated onions are what really give it that distinctive flavor. And I actually really like the little kick from the spicy barbecue sauce as compared to the normal sauce. All in all, it's pretty darn close to the real thing, and very tasty. I'll be making this in the future.

Mrmyke709
2001 Chilipaloosa Champion
07/06/07 12:25 PM

The original chef over there was Hisako Roberts. She made use of anything in the kitchen, such as peach juice from the peaches for cobbler, and hence, the use of the pickle juice. Nothing got thrown out if it was useful.
I remember the days when they only were open on the weekend, and Family Style was cheap. We'd leave bloated, drunk, and satiated.

Help Lance kick cancer's ass.

utexas_61
5000+ posts
10/25/07 12:09 PM

i am just posting cause i am going to use this next week and don't want to lose the page

hullabelewSponsor
5000+ posts
10/25/07 12:25 PM
Re: Salt Lick Potato Salad [re: utexas_61]

ut61, Thanks for snagging that from the back pages. I may make it this weekend. Cooking some ribs for the games on Saturday so your timing is perfect.

Please Visit JoeMojica.com
Mihm_Rules, Rules

Here's To You Balzac

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy