Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Rusty's Grill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
scottsinsSponsor
5000+ posts
08/12/07 09:39 PM
Mrs. Renfro's Chow Chow

No one ever talk about this, but I grew up on the stuff.

I specifically recall having it with mayo on leftover turkey sandwiches from Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anyone else ever eat this great stuff?

"Better frozen with weiner in hand than naked on couch with peanut butter all over me. "

---Macanudo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

TexasHooch
500+ posts
08/12/07 11:04 PM
Re: Mrs. Renfro's Chow Chow [re: scottsins]

I thought for sure this was going to be a story about that unsavory Vietnamese restaurant on the other side of town.

-I've reached the point in my life where good beer is good and bad beer is nostalgic-

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

ERhine
5000+ posts
08/12/07 11:40 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about.

brntorng
500+ posts
08/12/07 11:50 PM

I can't eat a hot dog without Mrs. Renfro's Chow Chow and regular mustard. If you've never tried it, you have no idea what you're missing.

S197HQQKEM
1000+ posts
08/13/07 12:02 AM

Mrs. Renfro's is the tits, the closest place I can find it is at a Wal-Mart in Talalalaaaahhhaaaassseeee.

Be seeing you!

scottsinsSponsor
5000+ posts
08/13/07 12:04 AM

forgot all about the greatness of chow chow on hot dogs.

I must get some.

"Better frozen with weiner in hand than naked on couch with peanut butter all over me. "

---Macanudo

brntorng
500+ posts
08/13/07 01:57 AM

It can be ordered directly from Mrs. Renfro. The HOT version is the only way to go.

Smoky Brisket
1000+ posts
08/13/07 02:15 AM

antones, the sandwich place - not the blues place, had some kick ass chow chow.

i can taste it now.

Anyone have a chow chow recipe?

DallasCowpoke
500+ posts
08/13/07 01:44 PM

My Mom's Dad used to make big batches of chow chow every other year or so from his huge crops of green, late summer tomatoes and jalapenos. The stuff was so hot, I could never enjoy it, but those that did, loved it.

He took the recipe to the grave, and my mom and uncle have been trying to recreate it, with very mixed results, ever since.

After the lose to Texass I have heard some things come out of "soonerfans" mouths that embarrase me and its embarssing to be a sooner fan when 90% of our fans are ****ing morans.
-From soonerfans.com 10/15/06

mlchorn
100+ posts
08/13/07 03:35 PM

Love the stuff.
Just had some Saturday night on my hamburgers.
The only place I can find it here (Aledo) is at Brookshire's.

GakFoo
1000+ posts
08/13/07 03:46 PM

what is chow chow?

i tried to look it up on the interwebs but all i got was information about the dog

BrûléeOrange
500+ posts
08/13/07 05:04 PM

I've never tried Mrs. Renfro's as that would be blasphemy in my family to use "store bought". Chow Chow is much like a relish without the pickles, but more coarse and usually with a lot more kick to it (Hot & Sweet). I grew up with it and we always put it on top of a bowl of pinto beans. I don't know if this is a Texas or southern thing, but it's damn good.

My Grandmother shared her recipe (before she passed away in 1981) which has probably been cooked in our family for close to 75 years to a century now. She "put up" (canned) a lot of it every year as she had 8 kids and their families to share it with. This recipe makes about 20 to 24 pints:

Chow Chow

1/2 Cup of Salt
1/4 Cup of Black Pepper
1 tsp. Curry
1/2 tsp. each of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cumin, Cloves & Allspice
2 to 2 1/2 Cups Sugar (to your taste)
4 Heads of Cabbage
5 lbs. of Green Tomatoes
3 Quarts of Onions (you got me on how many)
1/4 to 1/2 lb. of Hot Peppers (however hot you want it)
1 1/2 Quarts of Vinegar

Bring to boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes (about 20 minutes total). Place it hot in the pint jars and put the caps on and let them seal.

brntorng
500+ posts
08/13/07 05:14 PM

Mrs. Renfro's contains "cabbage, bell peppers, sugar, spices and vinegar", taken from the Renfro Foods history link. Also provides some insight into the history of chow chow.

Gen. Applewhite
25+ posts
08/13/07 07:46 PM

smoky brisket, i actually stopped by the antones in rice village today and picked up a poboy. i love that place. strangely, today as i ate my sandwich, i found myself wondering: "what the hell is chow chow"?

sure enough, hornfans has an answer. it is indeed a fantastic condiment.

MaduroUTMB
5000+ posts
08/15/07 05:17 AM

I tried the peach salsa. Mrs. Renfro is dead to me now.

scottsinsSponsor
5000+ posts
08/15/07 09:47 AM

In reply to:

I tried the peach salsa

---Macanudo

judgroybeanbag
1000+ posts
08/16/07 07:19 PM

Love it on blackeyed peas...

locohorn93
500+ posts
08/17/07 08:17 PM

great stuff.

However, The HEB Special Committee to Screw Over locohorn93 has evidently added it to the list of products I like that have been removed from the shelves in the last 6 months in favor of, in this case, NOTHING.

So, I pay Randall's prices for Dixieland Hot Chow Chow (nearest equivalent, and probably made by the same people) and a couple other items I don't want to jinx.

[censored].

JohnnyBlaze
1000+ posts
08/17/07 09:31 PM

It's at Central Market.

GakFoo
1000+ posts
08/19/07 12:25 PM

i bought a jar of mrs. renfroe's hot last night at central market based on this thread

trying to decide what to try it on first

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy