Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Rusty's Grill

Rate thread Print Thread
1990txgirlSponsor
1000+ posts
09/26/07 01:58 PM
Side dish for crab cakes?

Looking for some new ideas for a starch to accompany crab cakes. I've served htem with oven roasted potatoes with herbes de provence, cous cous and quinoa (didn't like that, a little too heavy for the crab cakes).

Veggie will likely be green beans or asparagus. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

DallasCowpoke
500+ posts
09/26/07 02:14 PM
Re: Side dish for crab cakes? [re: 1990txgirl]

Halve an acorn squash. Scoop out the pulp. Rub the "bowl" w/ butter. , Mix together S&P, a couple of shakes of cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder and a small spoon of brown sugar. Sprinkle liberally into the squash, pressing the mixture over all parts of the buttered flesh.

Place in a low-sided casserole dish w/ the bowl up. Add roughly 2 jiggers of white wine and a few Tbls of water to the casserole.

Bake uncovered at 375 for about 30-45 minutes, or until the flesh takes a fork inserted into it easily.

After the lose to Texass I have heard some things come out of "soonerfans" mouths that embarrase me and its embarssing to be a sooner fan when 90% of our fans are ****ing morans.
-From soonerfans.com 10/15/06

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

BrûléeOrange
1000+ posts
09/26/07 06:46 PM

A nice Corn Relish type dish always goes well with crab cakes, but I don't have a recipe handy.

Tailgate
1000+ posts
09/26/07 09:40 PM

I like to counter a nice crab cake with a cold good slaw.

[censored] OU

Napoleon
500+ posts
09/26/07 10:24 PM

Beer

Starch = Carbs = Beer

orange avenger
1000+ posts
09/26/07 11:22 PM

Tailgate is right on. But make the slaw with a vinaigrette, and use both green and red cabbage.

Another simple side is tagliatelle, allowed to cool, tossed lightly with some grilled chanterelles, a good sour cream, and plenty of cracked peppercorns.

blkshoes
1000+ posts
09/27/07 09:04 AM

i think crab cakes should be treated as the sidedish.

DoobieWah
1000+ posts
09/27/07 11:20 AM

Aglio Olio

Saute two thinly sliced cloves of garlic in 2 tbsps of good olive oil.

When just browned take off of the heat and toss with cooked spaghetti or linguini, (or fettucine).

Toss well. Light, easy and deelish.

You can mix it up with some sauteed 'shrooms, brocc, carrots, oregano, basil, Parm, whatever.

I almost always sprinkle some crushed red pepper on mine.

You can plate your crab cakes atop, aside or even in a separate dish.

SmurfetteSponsor
2500+ posts
09/27/07 02:14 PM

A friend of mine made me a salad w/ Crab cakes. She make the salad w/ fried goat cheese, avacado slices, and wasabi dressing, (she bought the dressing at Central Market-- I think it was their brand.) It was fantastic!

Mrmyke709
2001 Chilipaloosa Champion
09/27/07 06:51 PM

Grilled corn on the cob.
Roasted new potatoes.
Mixed green salad.

Help Lance kick cancer's ass.

Summerof79
500+ posts
09/28/07 10:54 AM

You get some starch in your breading so in my mind you don't need an additional starch. I don't use a lot of binding but the starch is there and you need some breading for a nice crust.

I tend to go with others here and lean towards a slaw or salad paired with the crab cake. I also though like to give my cakes a little drizzle of chipotle sauce (mayo/chipolte/sour creme) so the cooler crisp counter flavor is expecially nice.

Two things that will make your meal better-
1) Panko Bread crumbs
2) Ferrari Carano Fume
3) Marzetti's cole slaw dressing (tastes home made so toss the bottle if you are goint ot cheat and claim homemade)

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy