Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Rusty's Grill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
mrjefft
25+ posts
08/26/08 03:50 PM
Making a great homemade smoker...

Here is how you can save a bunch of bucks, and end up with a kick ass smoker. I like an electric smoker, because you don't have to watch the wood constantly. You can literally walk away from this for hours, and come home to perfect meat. The smoke is created by the Mesquite, or whatever kind of wood you like. Many commercial smoke houses use a similar setup, as it easier to control times and temperatures than with a fire box.

I perfected this when I bought a large commercial freezer at a sale, then it didn't work. The insides were stainless, as were the shelves, so, it lent itself perfectly. Any large metal container will do, however, an old charcoal grill, a school locker, whatever you have......

It needs to have some sort of adjustable vents, I just got some electrical outlet covers from Home Depot, drilled some 1 inch holes in the top and sides of my freezer for cross vents, and screwed the covers to them so I could still move them open or closed.

If you don't have stainless shelves, get some at WalMart. they are cheap and adjustable, in the grill section...

Get a single burner cooker. a Cast iron wood chip box, (all can be bought at wallytown) Some wood chips of your own taste, I like mesquite, but use differents types. you need an old pan, maybe 3 quarts for water, you don't want things drying up, and a thermometer. I used a small electric one, and drilled a hole in the side to mount it. That way I can check the temp without opening the smoker. (this is important, you don't want to open the smoker)

I actually used two burners, two wood chip boxes, and two pans for water, but, I was heating up a large Freezer.

O.K. Just Drill a hole for your wires, and poke em out the bottm for your burner(s). Silicon the hole shut. Drill the hole for your Thermometer. Stick it in. Silicon the hole.
Ready to use it??

Fill the wood chip boxes with wood chips and a little water to keep em damp for a while. Put this on top of a burner. Crank the burner on medium heat. Put the pan for water on top, with about 1 1/2 qts of water in it. Put in as much meat as you want to smoke, or it will hold, spaced out to allow the smoke to travel in between.

Close the door. Let it go for 1/2 hour. Check the temperature. If it isn't about 200 degrees, open the door, and crank it up a bit. Close the door and repeat until you have it set to run around 195-205 degrees.

In no time, there will be delicious smoke coming out of your cooker. About every two hours, open it up, and put more wood chips in the box to keep it smoking nicely. You really don't need to watch it too close. Many times, I start a pork roast, or some chicken, go to the lake, and come home to a perfect meal. My friends love to come over and see what the Smokinator has produced, as it always rocks!!!

Minimum cook time is 2 hours for chicken legs, I'd say about an hour per pound for other products. Have Fun!!!

Skydive San Marcos-- A great place to jump out of a perfectly good plane!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

VacantlyOccupied
5000+ posts
08/26/08 07:18 PM
Re: Making a great homemade smoker... [re: mrjefft]

In reply to:

I like an electric smoker

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

hornian
10,000+ posts
08/26/08 09:13 PM

Playing with fire is part of the appeal. This circumvents that. Not good.

baboso
2500+ posts
08/26/08 09:52 PM

In reply to:

I like an electric smoker

You lost me here.

MeaHorn
2500+ posts
08/26/08 10:15 PM

So you mean you plug it in? I don't get it.

mrjefft
25+ posts
08/26/08 11:22 PM

I know this is painful for the fire= smoke crew, but remember, you are cooking with SMOKE, which is created by heated wood. I think you would be shocked if you tried this at the simplicity of operation, amount of smoke produced, and quality of product. Heck, I love a pig roast as much as the next guy. Up in Illinois, on the farm where I grew up, we had a lot of pig roasts. This usually consists of :

Pig

Pit

Charcoal

Burlap Sacks

Steps,,,, Begin drinking beer.. Dig the pit... Butcher the pig. Start massive coals.. Wet burlap and place on hot coals.... Place pig on burlap..... More wet burlap... Bury the whole thing... Friends show up... More beer...More beer... More beer.... Pig is done!!! Party!!

Now, that is a roast. I am talking about smoking. Smoked Sausage. Smoked Turkey.. Smoked Ham.. Smoking is slow cooking, using only SMOKE to cook the meat. The heat should NEVER go above 245 when smoking, and this is hard to control when using a fire box.....

Don't get me wrong, I love when someone else sweats their ass off for 12-24 hours, adding wood, and worrying about temperature. If you try this, however, you will be shocked at the quality of smoked meat you can produce.

If you use a freezer like I did, you can do a whole hog no problem...

Oh yeah, Plug it in.....

Just an alternative, not preaching a total change out.

Luke Duke
2500+ posts
08/27/08 07:37 AM

I don't think that anyone is doubting that quality Q can be cooked in an electric smoker, but most people here enjoy the process of building and tending to the fire.

"Also, no big deal about the two decades younger. I'm Texas." -LonghornsWin

RichUT
1000+ posts
08/27/08 11:34 AM

No me gusta.

"I am a bad ass"

Steel Shank
2500+ posts
08/27/08 12:31 PM

I'll dance with the one what brung me.

Sip94
1000+ posts
08/28/08 12:37 AM

I'm sorry. I can't figure out where the charcoal goes.

"Hey you're Troy McClure! I remember you from such films as "Meet Joe Blow" and "Give My Remains to Broadway.""

aldenSponsor
1000+ posts
08/28/08 01:25 AM

Sounds pretty awesome. Not sure why everyone has a stick up their butt. I understand that the process is part of the appeal, but let's also push the envelope on awesome food. There will always be plenty of time to sit around and drink beer while your meat cooks.

Got any pics? That would really help with the details.

"The Texas Longhorns will be featured on Wheaties boxes. General Mills promises the special edition cereal will not crumble in big bowls." - The Onion

hullabelew
5000+ posts
08/28/08 07:28 AM
Re: Making a great homemade smoker... [re: alden]

Our homemade smoker: Still a work in progress.

This day, we cooked 4 briskets, 15 racks of ribs,
3 turkeys, a dozen bacon wrapped quail,
a [censored] load of jalapeño peppers stuffed with
sausage and cheese and wrapped in bacon.

One night we even cooked pizza on this thing.

For an upcoming cook:
Ribs: 24 racks
Brisket: 4
Pork Shoulder: 6
Chicken quarters: 40 lbs

RIP JoeMojica
Mihm_Rules, Rules

dlatin
250+ posts
08/28/08 09:10 AM

it moved

"Yeah...I want to go to Hawaii...yeah...."

El Paso Way
25+ posts
08/28/08 10:10 AM

Hulla, thats a nice looking cooker. Its about the same size that I built. Just curious, is the wood in the 4th pic hickory? The bark is smooth like the upper portions of a hickory tree.

hullabelew
5000+ posts
08/28/08 12:11 PM
Re: Making a great homemade smoker... [re: El Paso Way]

That is actually silver maple. We cut down 6 of those trash trees from our neighborhood pool and have been using that wood. It seems to do a good job. The fire box on the thing is set up to direct smoke to either of the two chambers or both, so when we have stuff in both chambers we can load a ton of wood in the fire box. We generally use a mix of wood to get the fire going (prob. mesquite and maple in this pic) then use oak later on. Seems to work for us.

This thing is a work in progress. We have another Harley exhaust to put on the vertical chamber and may add a header that leads to the pipe off of the horizontal side. Also will probably add a kick start lever to the valve that lead to the horizontal, much like we have the driver as the lever for the heat control on the vertical.

Some other adjustments: Longer handle on the firebox doors, better drain setup on the horizontal and join it with the one on the vertical. Maybe a folding shelf on the horizontal as well. We want to get a name plate like you see over the top of gates on some ranches and then sand blast and paint. The center stack on the horizontal is actually sealed up. That part of the pit was already made but it had a firebox directly below. That was removed, sealed up and built the one firebox to feed both chambers.

Do you have any pics of your setup?

RIP JoeMojica
Mihm_Rules, Rules

MeaHorn
2500+ posts
08/28/08 01:07 PM

hullabelew wins

Steel Shank
2500+ posts
08/28/08 01:11 PM

I'd like to comment further, but I'm currently pre-occupied trying to figure out how I get this stick up my butt.

mrjefft
25+ posts
08/28/08 01:39 PM

That is one AWESOME smoker!! Super job of construction, looks like a real work of art!! I won't can't argue with that.

I can't get pictures of mine, I am traveling, and won't see the smoker for a while still. It is padlocked so that no kids will try to get in it, and lock themselves in by accident, and I have the key with me, or I would get my neighbor to take some pics......

Great pictures of your smoker, though, I really like that....

One thing, though. The meat looks very good, but, people should notice that there is a lot of black on it. That means it may be burnt, and dried out.

This is what you avoid with an electric smoker. The meat is NEVER burnt. The temperature is easily controlled, and the water inside keeps it moist while cooking.

dlatin
250+ posts
08/28/08 01:53 PM

what's the dealio with the old school driving woods in your rig?

hullabelew
5000+ posts
08/28/08 02:17 PM
Re: Making a great homemade smoker... [re: dlatin]

The driver controls a butterfly valve that adjusts the smoke/heat going into the vertical chamber. Right now there is just a set of vise grips on the control to the horizontal. We plan to weld a harley gear shift onto that to replace the vice grips.

Those briskets weren't burned and were a long way from dry. We could easily put a pot of water on the bottom shelf of the vertical chamber but honestly, we have never needed to. The heat control on this thing is amazingly steady. I spent over 12 hours with that thing and only had to add wood 3 times. Each time we added one log when it reached 240 we dialed the vents down and it set at 225 for the next 4 hours.

We can cook a whole pig on the horizontal side. Can't wait to try that.

RIP JoeMojica
Mihm_Rules, Rules

Steel Shank
2500+ posts
08/28/08 03:06 PM

mrjeff, I'd like to invite to stand by the cutting board when I start carving one of my black beauties. Be sure and wear some white shoes.

Texas_Matt
< 25 posts
08/28/08 04:02 PM

i almost asked my welder to install an electrical cord, but decided against it.
hook'em

El Paso Way
25+ posts
08/28/08 08:12 PM

Mrjeff,
Those briskets are not burnt. They are very finely charred to make the perfect bark. Why do you think they are burnt? This is what happens when you smoke beef, chicken, cabrito or whatever. If the meat doesn't look like this at the end of the cooking process, then I would probably be concerned on the outcome. You need to understand, and maybe its a Southern thing, but cooking on the smoker is not all about speed. With most of us its an event, a hobby, and a passion. And by the way, it sounds like you did a good job on your cooker.

VacantlyOccupied
5000+ posts
08/28/08 09:37 PM

Hulla, where do you plug that thing in?

dlatin
250+ posts
08/28/08 10:16 PM

I think we're being punk'd

mrjefft
100+ posts
08/28/08 10:35 PM

O.K., I am outgunned by your pictures of big smokers. I must admit, I am having "smoker envy".

I think you may be missing my main point, which is, instead of spending $500-$3500 on a huge (although really nice) smoker, someone with a collegiate minimum income, a metal box of some sort, and $24 can build themselves a nice, operational smoker. ($10 burner, $6 wood chip box, $5 pan, $3 wood chips), total $24. A college kid could use this to smoke a brisket for his buddies, and not have to worry about passing out, and burning it, or any other anomoly.... lol

You guys have the wherewithall. How about this experiment. Spend the $24, and one afternoon. Just toss the basic heat element, etc.. into a metal box, and start this thing up. Stick in some chicken legs, turkey, beef, pork, or?? and see what happens.... It's cheap, it's really simple, and you will be pleased when you taste the smoked meat that comes out. Enough from me, I'm starting to feel like the crazy neighbor in another thread.....

I don't think anyone has a stick up their butt, either. I like both kinds, and will eat pretty much any meat put in front of me without hesitation, sans Menudo.

hornian
10,000+ posts
08/28/08 11:08 PM

In reply to:

One thing, though. The meat looks very good, but, people should notice that there is a lot of black on it. That means it may be burnt, and dried out.

You are so full of [censored] on that point that it's laughable.

Briskets are SUPPOSED to black when you smoke them. It has absolutely ZERO correlation to the brisket being burnt or dried out.

NCAAFBALLROX
5000+ posts
08/28/08 11:39 PM

This has been a most interesting thread, & not from a perspective that the OP had in mind.

“You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance.”

hullabelew
5000+ posts
08/29/08 08:39 AM
Re: Making a great homemade smoker... [re: NCAAFBALLROX]

I actually think his idea is good. I just can't imagine going through the hassle and torment of trying to convince my wife that having an old freezer in the backyard so I could find another way to smoke meat is a good idea.

RIP JoeMojica
Mihm_Rules, Rules

Texas_Matt
< 25 posts
08/29/08 09:01 AM

a good cook produces good food with whatever he's got.

hook em

Brisketexan
2500+ posts
08/29/08 09:23 AM

What Ian said. Only in a man's voice.

Hell, whenever I am at a bbq place, I ask the cutter (often hispanic) "por favor, con mucho negro" (I like the outside cuts).

My briskets are plenty black -- that effect is produced by the smoke, not heat.

"It is a burnt offering, an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the LORD."

Steel Shank
2500+ posts
08/29/08 09:40 AM

mrjefft
100+ posts
08/29/08 10:33 AM

All right then I can admit when I am wrong, although I said the brisket MAY be burnt or dry, I am obviously mistaken, which several folks have been quick to point out.

I hereby withdraw my comment concerning this matter. The more pictures I see, the hungrier I get for one of those babies....

mrjefft
100+ posts
08/29/08 04:21 PM

O.K. Guys, enough messing around...

Here was my plan....

1) Spend less than $30 to build a smoker
2) Get it done Today

So, I left my house this morning pondering my fate...
I was wandering the neighborhoods in search a smoking vessel.
I was hoping someone would toss out an old grill, and I could snag it for free. No such luck.
However, I did luck upon a garage sale. At this sale, I found a perfect ex- wood smoker,
WITH a thermometer on it, and a grease pan on the bottom, perfect.
I talked the lady down from $15 to $10.

This item= $10

At same sale I found one of those 1 burner cooker things for $5

This item= $5

Then I skipped off to a thrift store she told me about, where I found
a cast iron pan with some little legs on it for $2. I bashed the legs off with a hammer, and had a chip holder.

This Item= $2

Then it's off to Wally Town, where I happily purchase
some Mesquite Grilling Chips for $1.97. I also get a throw
away Grid for $1.

These items= (with tax) $3.24

I had a power cord with me, so, no problem.

Total Amount spent on smoker= $20.24
Total Time spent on smoker= 2 hours hunting down parts + 1 hour set up= 3 hours
Proving it can be done= Priceless.

I got a nice piece of beef and some Chicken legs, and headed out. (this doesn't count in cost, you can easily spend $100 here)

Within an hour of arriving, I had it cleaned up, assembled, and smoking..... See below. I can't wait to taste some of this grub,
but, just started it a minute ago.

I moistened the chips for a minute so they wouldn't just catch of fire, but smolder. No other water in a pan, as I don't think I'll need a
catylst for this small of a smoker. Temperature, 210, just waiting now......

hornian
10,000+ posts
08/29/08 09:20 PM

That's cute.

I also decided to smoke some meat.

Fired him up:

And threw on a couple of briskets for the tailgate tomorrow (can you fit almost 30 lbs of beef on that make shift "smoker"?):

I'll let you know how much I "burnt" it in about 15 hours.

jimmyjazzSponsor
10,000+ posts
08/29/08 10:25 PM

Kudos to the original poster. The 3 main components of BBQ are meat, heat, and smoke. Fussing over the source of the heat is getting down into the details, and I admire his thrifty nature.

Not that I'd be caught dead working with that thing, but still . . .

El Paso Way
25+ posts
08/29/08 10:27 PM

MrJeff,
Let me know when you have that gerbil and muskrat ready on that cooker. Be sure to let it get good and brown.

Just joking man.

mrjefft
100+ posts
08/29/08 11:49 PM

Gerbil and Muskrat pictures Follow. They are AWESOME, let me tell ya!!
The gerbil didn't last long at all, just a warm up til the muskrat was ready.....
8 hours of smoking for this small beast. (there's only one of me)
I wish you had smellavision right now..........better yet,
tastevision.....

Not my dream rig, but, got the job done, in fine fashion...

celis
1000+ posts
08/30/08 10:08 PM

It looks raw.

<P>

aldenSponsor
1000+ posts
08/31/08 06:01 PM

Nice. I applaud your thriftiness. This is also a great proof of concept for a larger operation.

Your pictures make me wonder why your brisket is not darker. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it. Maybe it's just less soot? Maybe it's a steadier, lower temperature. How'd it taste?

"The Texas Longhorns will be featured on Wheaties boxes. General Mills promises the special edition cereal will not crumble in big bowls." - The Onion

LazyEngineer
2500+ posts
09/03/08 02:06 PM

This is a great thread. Kudos to the OP. I like the idea for the heat source. My first smoker was a $50 electric Brinkman bullet smoker. I have made pork ribs on that crappy smoker that are better than I've had in just about any bbq joint in Texas. Now, I've moved up to a "real" smoker, but sometimes I wish I had something like this - but obviously executed a lot better.

The main problem I see here is that the heat source is too close to the meat. WAY too close. To do something like this, something large and insulated would obviously be much better. I'm going to have to think about this and possibly make one myself.

Another benefit here is that you could possibly fire something like that up on an apartment balcony where a fire is illegal.

RichUT
1000+ posts
09/03/08 03:50 PM

Um, good job MacGruber...

"I am a bad ass"

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy