Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Cactus Cafe

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
RockyBalboa
100+ posts
06/14/08 10:43 PM
Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes?

Personally, I'd go with Calvin, but tonight I was flipping through an old Far Side book and had tears I was laughing so hard. One of my favorites:

"I'm simply not impressed." - SL Xpress on Rick Barnes' coaching job in 07-08, best season in school history.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Squall
1000+ posts
06/14/08 11:07 PM
Re: Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes? [re: RockyBalboa]

nope, can't pick a better one. they both go together at the top of the list.

perfectly cooked steak or 30 yr old scotch??

having both Calvin and far side is what makes this world great

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

YoLaDu
500+ posts
06/14/08 11:08 PM

Far Side.. and It's not even close.

parkerco
250+ posts
06/14/08 11:30 PM

Far Side by a mile. At least two or three times a year I see someone push on a door that says "pull" and laugh as I think about the school for the gifted.

mandingo
2500+ posts
06/14/08 11:40 PM

#1: Far Side

#2: everything else.

"It has been scientifically proven that the universe consists of Vince Young and some other stuff."
-Dionysus

bevo_daddy
1000+ posts
06/14/08 11:42 PM

far side. I wish Gary larson would unretire

Posted from my iPhone

Mr. Longhorn
2500+ posts
06/14/08 11:45 PM

Far side.

" If only we could establish the time of death"

kujotx
1000+ posts
06/15/08 12:43 AM

Bill Waterson's takes on realism combined with his high-minded philosophy kicks Larson in the ding-ding.

Don't get me wrong: The Far Side was punny, witty, and all that. But, Calvin and Hobbes was cartoons set at eleven.

Oklahoma: Texas' hat

toucan82
500+ posts
06/15/08 06:56 AM

what kujo said

Upgrayedd
500+ posts
06/15/08 08:02 AM
Re: Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes? [re: toucan82]

The comics pages have really declined since the '80s.

Chest Rockwell
2500+ posts
06/15/08 08:38 AM

The Far Side.

One of my favorites . . .

Agent007
1000+ posts
06/15/08 08:46 AM

calvin and hobbes.

no arguments.

DeathTongue
25+ posts
06/15/08 09:52 AM

How can I choose between:

"Don't mock my smock or I'll clean your clock" (C&H)

and

"I cuss. You cuss. We all cuss for asparagus." (FS)

NB_LONGHORN
500+ posts
06/15/08 10:01 AM

The Link

One of the good things about my relocation.

halsteadfrost
1000+ posts
06/15/08 10:29 AM

I think Calvin and Hobbes is better as a set. Sure the far side is good for a quick piece here and there tacked to an office door, but C&H works best when sitting down and reading through the books strip after strip on a Sunday afternoon. There's just so much going on with that comic from elementary slapstick to deep thoughts all from a child's wide-eyed perspective. I enjoyed Calvin and Hobbes as a child because I identified with Calvin. I think I'll identify with the comic just as much when I have kids of my own, but on a whole different level. The Far Side is good (really, really, really good), but as a whole Calvin and Hobbes is untouchable in the comic realm.

RomaVicta
5000+ posts
06/15/08 11:09 AM

This is a "Which Charlie's Angel is prettiest?" question.

The thread has made me realize the difference in genre-- Getting all in one frame versus using a series of frames. I remember that there used to be a drug store on the Drag where I stood like a giggling, guffawing idiot for about ten minutes reading every Far Side greeting card on the spinning rack.

I came to Calvin and Hobbes within a year of the strip coming to an end. I couldn't believe I'd been ignoring something so clever for so long.

At least we have Sally Forth in their place.

groverat
2500+ posts
06/15/08 11:41 AM
Re: Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes? [re: RomaVicta]

Calvin & Hobbes

But why make me choose.

HOOKMD
500+ posts
06/15/08 01:01 PM

Always have been a far side dude, but C&H holds very special memories for me from my childhood.

Longhorn_Fan68Sponsor
10,000+ posts
06/15/08 01:07 PM

My vote is for Far Side, but not by much.

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
06/15/08 01:10 PM

Calvin and Who? What and a hobbit? Please.

Far Side.

Don't peek at the ribs, they are still there - Hornian in his rib tutorial

blueglasshorse
1000+ posts
06/15/08 02:02 PM

Dilbert!

TexanneModerator
10,000+ posts
06/15/08 03:04 PM

Perhaps someone can find and post for me my favorites from each strip. And I can't pick a favorite.

The Far Side

Two spiders have spun a web across the bottom of a playground slide. One spider says to the other, "If we pull this one off, we'll eat like kings for weeks!"

Calvin and Hobbes

The math atheist cartoon.

These days, I'm a Get Fuzzy kind of gal. It's the only dailly strip I read.

"These are just simple Farmers. People of the land. The common clay of the new west. You know ... morons."

MaduroUTMB
5000+ posts
06/15/08 07:40 PM

To go along with an earlier poster's response:

"Maui or Rome?"

November 27th, 2008. No Mercy.

Fetoid
25+ posts
06/16/08 12:35 AM

Larson wins.
I will find the pic:

(fishing with caveman as bait for giant evil fish)

"Throw Grog, throw! Throw!!!!"

buckhorn
2500+ posts
06/16/08 04:03 AM

C&H.

Sublime.

FS.

Cute.

C&H.

Both pretty damned great.

mr. sunshine
500+ posts
06/16/08 08:57 AM

The last Far Side strip ran January 1, 1995 and the last Calvin & Hobbes ran on December 31, 1995. Both Larson and Watterson must have had mountains of cash offered to them over the past 13 years to continue, but they've shown that money's not at the top of their lists as far as priorities go, particularly Watterson. Now that's artistic integrity.

trueut2003Sponsor
1000+ posts
06/16/08 10:13 AM

One of my favorite far sides...

You can't post a Far Side without featuring cows...

And if anyone can find the one with the rhino in the fortune teller tent, that may be my favorite.

Hayden_Horn
25,000+ posts
06/16/08 10:19 AM
Re: Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes? [re: Longhorn_Fan68]

In reply to:

MAROON
1000+ posts
06/16/08 10:58 AM

What do you boys want for breakfast, Bar-B-Que?....OK Chili

mia1994
1000+ posts
06/16/08 11:01 AM

I loved both of them dearly. That said, I find my self digging out "The Pre-History of the Far Side" more often than any of my Calvin and Hobbes collections.

Ultimately, I'd put mid-80s Bloom County of either of them.

Against Michigan in the Rose Bowl, UT down 10 points with 10 minutes to play, Young slapped Brown on the stomach and said, "Don't worry, Coach, I got this."

Bob in HoustonSponsor
5000+ posts
06/16/08 11:04 AM

In reply to:

Dilbert!

Dilbert is funny the first 200 or 300 times. After that, it's just mind-numbing, and occasionally depressing.

I have just about all the Calvin books around the house... no Far Side. Like them both, but I choose C&H.

DigglerontheHoof
2500+ posts
06/16/08 11:50 AM

Both are greatness.

"At some point, I'd like to take a visit to whatever planet it is Aggies fans come from."

-Stewart Mandel in reference to aggy question of whether or not A&M would consider Steve Spurrier.

YoLaDu
500+ posts
06/16/08 01:02 PM

halsteadfrost
1000+ posts
06/16/08 03:35 PM

The Link

mia1994
1000+ posts
06/16/08 03:51 PM

The Link

It should be noted that Garfield is funnier when you remove Garfield.

Against Michigan in the Rose Bowl, UT down 10 points with 10 minutes to play, Young slapped Brown on the stomach and said, "Don't worry, Coach, I got this."

Big Ess Fro
500+ posts
06/16/08 05:31 PM

Actually, Far Side isn't always a single pane. Here is my 2nd fav:

My first fav is also a multi-pane. It is the one above with the cows standing when nobody is looking.

I think Far Side is quite a bit better than C&H.

halsteadfrost
1000+ posts
06/16/08 06:48 PM

In reply to:

(couldn't find it on the internet)

Ummmm did you happen to look here?

Do I Make You Horny?
2500+ posts
06/16/08 08:00 PM

Calvin and Hobbes

The snowmen strips alone qualify for the Funny Papers Hall of Fame.

The cheese doesn't know why it is hot.

Namewithheld
25+ posts
06/16/08 08:57 PM

Superfan
1000+ posts
06/16/08 09:14 PM

Calvin and Hobbes for my more intellectual times.

FS for a quick giggle.

Like Texanne said though... I'm a "Get Fuzzy" lover. Pretty hard to beat a Yanker loving cat living with a Red Sox fan!

Bucky Katt
"Wait...is that Jesus? No wonder you guys beat us! You have the Son of God batting leadoff.

Mark my words, next year Steinbrenner will have Buddha coming out of the bullpen"

Or something to that effect.

Vince Young Vince Young Vince Young. Rocks your ass. All night long. The paragon of how to play a football game and we’ll never see better.

Upgrayedd
500+ posts
06/16/08 09:46 PM
Re: Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes? [re: Superfan]

Calvin and Hobbes is more for liberal arts types. FS is for math/science people. Both are awesome, but I prefer C&H.

I re-read the complete works with my son a few years ago, and it has stood the test of time very well. Me and my son both loved it.

orangeblack&goldSponsor
1000+ posts
06/16/08 11:18 PM

Knowing the lions preference for red meat, the Spamalopes remained calm...

but wary.

My little brother and I used to spit out Far Sides from across our dorm room at each other late at night when we couldn't sleep. I still remember laughing until it hurt with tears in my eyes.

I love Calvin and Hobbes, but Far Side brings back too many great memories for any other strip to beat it.

My new favourites are Zits and Candorville.

"They're like the old Texas teams. They scare you."

Larry Cochell, OU Baseball Coach

GatorHorn
2500+ posts
06/17/08 09:30 AM

The greatness of Calvin & Hobbes for me comes from this mix:

The ability of Watterson to include adult philosophical concerns with childhood antics with such precision.

The authentic childhood friendship between Calvin and Hobbes, from their dialogue to their antics

The calamity that Calvin's parents face on a daily basis concerning having a rambunctuous six year old kid.

The well-drawn scenes and situations. Nothing is better than watching the expressions of the characters as the situations arise. Calvin pretending to die from tasting his mom's dinner is a classic example.

"Question my fanhood again and it's interweb go time."

Rex Krammer

Statalyzer
10,000+ posts
06/17/08 11:40 AM

I don't understand all the "not even close" and "by a mile" on this thread. Either way, it's close. Dilbert is 3rd IMO, but it's a clear-cut third.

In reply to:

Its not about wins and loses, if it was we wouldnt be t.u.'s rival...

~Texags.com poster

nath05
25+ posts
06/17/08 12:15 PM

wow.

"None of that spring break movie stuff. No bullfights, no gambling, no donkeys, no vanilla extract, no piñatas, none of that stuff. Straight football. Yup. No switchblades.”

LonghornDanSponsor
500+ posts
06/17/08 12:46 PM

When was that strip from? I've never seen it before this thread, and I have all of the collections (and have read them all several times).

simihorn
500+ posts
06/17/08 01:40 PM

My sons (11 and 9) love C&H. I've read the entire collection multiple times and now have it on my pc (html file linking to every cartoon).

I love FS, but I think C&H was/is better. You get more guffaws out of FS, but C&H could make you cry, laugh, wince etc. Just a complete work and a great collection.

And, it only gets better once you have kids and experience it from the other side, not just the calvin side.

My favorite is the snowman peeking over the hill

Hook 'Em

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Steel Shank
2500+ posts
06/17/08 03:50 PM

FS's "When car chasers dream" and "At the popular dog film, Man Throwing Sticks" is some good stuff.

RockyBalboa
100+ posts
06/17/08 05:53 PM

In reply to:

When was that strip from? I've never seen it before this thread, and I have all of the collections (and have read them all several times).

It's not from Bill Watterson, it's from a fan. I forget now, but the fan was either suggesting how he wanted to see the series end, or he was commenting on children and ADD drugs. Or maybe it was both. But it wasn't from Watterson.

"I'm simply not impressed." - SL Xpress on Rick Barnes' coaching job in 07-08, best season in school history.

GatorHorn
2500+ posts
06/17/08 07:32 PM

That would be tragic. Such a dismissal of Hobbes would be entirely in contrast with the spirit of the strip. Although, I could see it being a statement about ADD and modern drug use.

"Question my fanhood again and it's interweb go time."

Rex Krammer

Texas Dipper
1000+ posts
06/21/08 08:52 AM

Every Calvin & Hobbes strip...ever

I'd take Calvin and Hobbes. But it is very, very close.

Hornius EmeritusSponsor
10,000+ posts
06/21/08 05:24 PM

The correct answer is either Doonesbury or Pogo.

See my Images of Texas:
The Link

killerfrog17
500+ posts
06/21/08 06:39 PM

Definitely Far Side.
Anyone remember Nutty, the Kitten with Testicles for Legs in the Daily Texan back in the late 90s?

REMEMBER: Plurals are not formed with apostrophes!

Lulu
500+ posts
06/21/08 08:50 PM

calvin and hobbes...no contest!

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life" -Thoreau

"Away,away for I will fly to thee" -Keats

El Torito
1000+ posts
06/21/08 10:21 PM

Far Side. . .by far!

"Attention all planets of the Solar Federation. . .Attention all planets of the Solar Federation. . .We have assumed control. . .We have assumed control." - Rush, 2112.

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
06/22/08 04:28 AM

calvin and whatshisname, blah.

Don't peek at the ribs, they are still there - Hornian in his rib tutorial

Doperbo
1000+ posts
06/23/08 11:04 AM

Making Hobbes animate when he and Calvin were alone gave a depth to that strip that no other comic has really come close to in my opinion.

MilkmanDanSponsor
5000+ posts
07/10/08 01:43 PM

trueut2003Sponsor
1000+ posts
07/10/08 03:53 PM

^
|
Was that translated into Japanese and then back into English?

2feathersSponsor
500+ posts
07/11/08 06:45 PM

Far Side:

"He who defends everything defends nothing!"
Frederick the Great

midwayhorn
25+ posts
07/11/08 11:31 PM

Overall, Far Side.
But one of my favorite lines is from C&H: "You can present the material but you can't make me care."

hornFANtastic
5000+ posts
07/15/08 09:27 AM

Far side by a long shot

College station is the motherland of unintentional commedians---12thStudStan

NativeTXchic
1000+ posts
07/15/08 11:47 AM
Re: Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes? [re: hornFANtastic]

C&H!!

LongestHorn
2500+ posts
07/15/08 12:37 PM

Waterson's brother is a teacher at Austin High School.

But Far Side is funnier to me.

HornGrandiosoSponsor
1000+ posts
07/15/08 01:20 PM

preznick555
250+ posts
07/15/08 02:51 PM

C&H no contest

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy