Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
DeadHeadHorn
500+ posts
07/26/04 03:10 PM
Does house paint go bad?

I need to do some touching up on some spots in my house before we move out, and there's a bunch of old paint lying around. Does it need to be replaced or just shaken up. It's oil-based and probably three years old.

Call me a cheap [censored], but I'd prefer to save a few bucks as we're already getting [censored] on the security deposit.

"Deadheads are like people who like licorice; not everyone likes licorice, but people who like licorice really like licorice." -Jerry Garcia

Hook 'em!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

AgamemnonSponsor
100+ posts
07/26/04 03:18 PM
Re: Does house paint go bad? [re: DeadHeadHorn]

I'd be interested in know this, too. I opened a 5 gallon can of semi-gloss that a contractor had used at my duplex. It had been about 4 months since it had last been used and I got this whaff of bad milk scent. Blew me away. I tossed it out and bought new paint but I never really knew if it was "bad" or not.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Agent007
25+ posts
07/26/04 04:02 PM

I am led to believe that if the can has been opened, then it will go bad after a short period of time. Exposure to air could also potentially affect the hue of the paint. I always hear people that say to buy extra paint when you start so you can save it and do touch ups later, but if the paint has been continually exposed to open air then i think it can go bad or change hue.

gecko
1000+ posts
07/26/04 05:15 PM

My house is being painted today...so I asked a professional if oil based goes bad and the answer is, "no". They said there may be a scum that forms on the top of the paint...scrape that away and have it shaken.

MilkmanDanSponsor
2500+ posts
07/26/04 05:41 PM

I touched up some spots in our house using a can of paint left behind in the garage by the previous owners. After it dried, I realized that it had yellowed noticeably. The can wasn't perfectly sealed, which probably contributed to the change in color.

welcome to my killfile

hollisdude
2500+ posts
07/26/04 09:47 PM

In Houston, opened paint cans will spoil and mold very quickly. Best advice I ever got was to always get the paint codes of the mixtures so you can get an exact match later on at the store.

"It sucks being away, doesn't it?" - David Feherty

DeadHeadHorn
500+ posts
07/27/04 12:36 AM

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll try my luck just buying some primer.

"Deadheads are like people who like licorice; not everyone likes licorice, but people who like licorice really like licorice." -Jerry Garcia

Hook 'em!

wolfman
500+ posts
07/27/04 04:59 PM

You might as well try to use the paint that you have. If there is a problem with it you can always just paint over it.

I agree with Hollis on the paint codes. I needed to paint my bathroom a while back with enamel and wanted to match the color or the water based paint in the rest of the house. I had a can of the water based paint that was over 5 years old but you could still make out the color combination code on the label on the lid. I took it to Home Depot and they used the code to mix a gallon of enamel that was a perfect match.

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy