Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
Iconoclast Texan
250+ posts
02/09/06 02:09 PM
Bicycle Recommendations for my 60 year old dad

My dad would like to start biking around the neighborhood for exercise. He has a bad back so a comfortable seat and ride would be key. Do you guys have some recommendations as to brands and/or models we should look at. I don't really bike so I don't have a clue. I think he would prefer a easy to use model without a million gears as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

pmgSponsor
5000+ posts
02/09/06 02:24 PM
Re: Bicycle Recommendations for my 60 year old dad [re: Iconoclast Texan]

What's the neighbordhood like where your dad lives? Hilly? At all? or flat?

never mind.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

K-Man
1000+ posts
02/09/06 02:46 PM

A hybrid will keep him most upright, which shoulod be easiest on the back. Something like this

Giant Bicycles

Iconoclast Texan
250+ posts
02/09/06 03:35 PM

My dad lives in the Villages in Houston so we are talking flat land. He won't be doing any offroad biking just on pavement

washparkhornSponsor
2500+ posts
02/09/06 04:38 PM

I second the hybrid suggestion. Most are not mountain bikes, but are road bikes, with more upright positioning and a flat handlebar.

This is my hybrid (I use it regularly as a commuter), but may be a little overkill. The upright position is easier on the body plus it gives you a good view of the road and traffic. The tires and wheels are road, not mountain, so they roll and corner easier. Also, while mine is shockless, most hybrids have a shock in the seatpost to smooth the ride out a bit.

1 in 166 children

Iconoclast Texan
250+ posts
02/09/06 08:54 PM

Thanks for the recommendations guys, my parents and used that to get the Marin Belvedere.
The Link

TenaciousTgarden
1000+ posts
02/09/06 08:59 PM

I have a Del Sol "comfort bike" and I love it. very comfortable and versatile. I'm not even close 60, but my back acts like it is sometimes.

RogerSponsor
2500+ posts
02/09/06 11:07 PM

A Recumbent bike is the way to go here is a FAQ about this type of bike.

washparkhornSponsor
2500+ posts
02/10/06 01:14 AM

The Marin is a nice bike. I like the pre-equipped fenders - they do come in handy.

Make sure he wears a helmet. It is still a pretty hostile world for bicyclists. If he finds he is getting a lot of flats, have the bike shop put thorn resistant or self sealing tubes on the bike. And a bike computer helps keep your motivated to stay riding.

1 in 166 children

K-Man
1000+ posts
02/10/06 11:32 AM

Sweet bike, Washpark.

happy fun ball
1000+ posts
02/10/06 12:06 PM

Not all backs are alike. I'm not 60, but I do have two herniated discs at L3-5. I absolutely cannot ride a mountain bike or an upright hybrid, too much pressure flowing down the vertical plane of the spine, combined with the hip movement from pedaling just kills me.

However, I am a new man spread out on a road bike. With about a third of the weight thrown forward on my hands, my back feels great. I've been road biking for about 18 months, and my back's in the best shape in 20 years.

Not sure what's best for your dad, but just my 2 cents, some screwed up backs like to be stretched forward rather than upright.

washparkhornSponsor
2500+ posts
02/10/06 03:16 PM

Thanks K-Man.

I would be lying if I didn't tell you a large reason I wanted it was for the color.

It is a fun quick bike and good for commuting.

1 in 166 children

Longhorn AlSponsor
2005 Omaha Sweepstakes Champion
02/10/06 03:48 PM

Take him back to his days of youth.

washparkhornSponsor
2500+ posts
02/10/06 04:45 PM

That looks a little like the bike of my youth:

1 in 166 children

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy