Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
Mr. Longhorn
2500+ posts
07/11/06 10:57 PM
Getting rid of black widow spiders

Anyone have a good remedy of getting rid of these POSs? I killed about 10 of them in the garage 2 weeks ago, cleaned out the garage and sprayed some ORTHO Home defense and then now I found 2 in consecutive days. I know that the ortho wasnt made for them, but it was all I had, plus it kills them in about 30 sec.

Am I going to need to call out an exterminator or is there a special spray that I can buy. I found a couple in the backyard also, so I need it to be safe around plant/pets.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Not that BobSponsor
500+ posts
07/11/06 11:17 PM
Re: Getting rid of black widow spiders [re: Mr. Longhorn]

The Link

Hail! Hail! The gang's all here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Brak
250+ posts
07/12/06 12:01 PM

I've bought some kind of Spider killing spray insecticide at Home Depot. Works pretty good. Where do you live to have so many. I have them around my yard but I've never run across one in the house or garage. They mainly find out of the way places where it's dark.

Nobody comes to visit me in my little cloud.
I don't know why. Maybe it's 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins.

Mr. Longhorn
2500+ posts
07/12/06 07:19 PM

We just built a house in a new development just south of Cinco Ranch. There are other houses on the street, just none next to us yet so I can shoo them the other way.

I actually killed a male last night, the other 15 were female. They just came out of God knows where and set up camp on my property. The builder even said that he has never seen one, so hopefully this is just a fluke

ashmead's
250+ posts
07/12/06 11:16 PM

Are they clearing lots or developing nearby land for houses? When we moved into our home 11 years ago, we backed up to a field. Never had a problem. As soon as they started bulldozing that field for new houses, we were overrun with black widows. I can still look at a web and tell you instantly if it was spun by a widow. Nasty little things.

Keep the garage clear, if possible, to eliminate the kinds of hidey holes they like. Avoid them. The female is the dangerous one, and she's usually pretty shy. Just don't blunder into her web. You'll know the webs because they look really random, with lines that stretch here and there from some box or pot, or log to the ground.

Good luck. When the lots were all finally cleared, the problem cleared up for us.

Hook 'em!

Waxahorn
25+ posts
07/13/06 12:30 AM

Get some orange oil cleaner in a pump spray bottle and keep it handy. One squirt will kill any kind of spider or other insect. Plus it is non-toxic to you.

" A man gotta do what he thinks right " - John Wayne

TEXAS1026
1000+ posts
07/13/06 01:30 AM

My brother-in-law was bitten TWICE by a black widow yesterday and spent the night in the hospital in horrible pain. It was so bad they had to put him in ICU (partly due to an existing heart ailment). He's currently in bad shape resting at home. The spider that bit him was probably between the size of a penny and quarter.

The spider guy (think Steve Irwin, but with spiders) came to my sister's house and said the best way to get rid of them is to kill their food source. Killing the spiders is hard because they don't come in much contact with poison, so the best option is to starve them. The spider guy sprayed a lot of the exterior of the house with powerful stuff after he saw several irregular webs (a sign of black widows) he also said the spider that bit my BIL was the largest he'd ever seen in the area (Frisco)

A good home remedy is peppermint oil. It supposedly keeps them away.

TXSNOS
1000+ posts
07/13/06 02:34 AM

A guy I worked with many years ago would actually eat them. He ate a lot of weird things.

Flick them up in the air and catch them in your mouth. Just be sure to bite them before they bite you.

TXs N Os

"To err is human; to forgive, canine."

HornsN04
5000+ posts
07/13/06 03:22 AM

TXSNOS, that is really really [censored] up.

Mr. Longhorn
2500+ posts
07/13/06 11:03 PM

Wow, I agree. That is [censored] up.

They are clearing some lots in front of us and in back of us, so maybe that does have to do with the recent invasion. As for getting rid of their food source, I think that is pretty close to impossible. They seem to like junebugs, probably because they are the most retarded insect alive. We hear them flying into our windows and the garage at night so the widows just snatch them up. I think that every other day or so, I am going to try and spray the ORTHO around the garage and backyard and clear all the webs, maybe they will get the hint. I only saw a male today, but I am about to check again tonight since that is when they come out.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll probably end up trying all of it.

WolandSponsor
1000+ posts
07/13/06 11:53 PM

Keep your vehicles tightly closed. You don't want any baby black widows hatching inside your car.

Purple Rose
250+ posts
07/14/06 05:38 PM

We recently had a problem with them, I killed a nest of baby ones and one in my kid's sand box, then Huck killed the Mama one & another one near the sand box. We ended up calling an exterminator out who sprayed the heck out of our outside & in our garage (although we haven't found any in the garage...but there's plenty of potential for them in there. Today I found a newly hatched nest of baby widows all dead in the same area where we killed the mama widow. Now I'm glad we called the exterminator.

This site has some info on controlling spiders: The Link

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy