Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
Texas97
2500+ posts
09/26/06 02:59 PM
Ashley Furniture & Sofa Mart?

We are currently looking for a nice leather living room set and a bedroom set. Both very traditional styles are what we are looking for.

I have been to Havertys and I like their sofas. I didn't like too many of their bedroom sets. I went to Ashley Furniture and I really like their bedroom sets. I went to Sofa Mart and I liked a few of their sofas.

So I was wondering, what type of reviews do you guys have on Ashley Furniture and stuff from Sofa Mart? Obviously Ashley makes their own stuff. GOod stuff?

And Sofa Mart has a variety of different manufacturers but good quality? We are looking to spend about $2000-3000 total on a bedroom set (not including the mattress) and around $3000-4000 on a living room set.

Obviously Havertys is the most expensive of the above but trying to get an idea on the quality of the rest.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

TxStHorn
1000+ posts
09/26/06 07:07 PM
Re: Ashley Furniture & Sofa Mart? [re: Texas97]

You might want to just wait for sales to go on.

I bought a classic-style leather living room set (sofa, chair, love seat, and ottoman) from Dillard's a few years ago for $4,200. They were far better quality than I had seen at any of the other places.

Also, this may sound cheap, but check craigslist. I bought a really nice complete bedroom set, brand new in the box, oak, king sized sleigh bed, side table, dresser, and mirror for $1,200. Some guy off of Burnet & Northland/2222/whatever...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Texas97
2500+ posts
09/26/06 07:14 PM

I went to Dillards and Macys and I wasnt as impressed with the sofas there. I have also been to Havertys and they have some nice stuff obviously. Anyway, I really liked a few sofas at Sofa Mart. One was made by Ashley and another was made by some Italian co.

EJC+1
250+ posts
09/26/06 09:47 PM

My dad sells Ashley furniture at his store down in south Texas and it is definately middle of the road furniture. Not high quality at all but not too terribly shabby either. My house is packed with Ashley stuff and it is holding up ok. However, Haverty's is definately a step up.

The sad thing with furniture is the ridiculous markup. Easily a 80 to 100% markup at Ashley. Try to wait for a sell or find a 10% off coupon if you can.

Texas97
2500+ posts
09/26/06 10:48 PM

In terms of durability (springs, material) how long would an Ashley sofa last vs. Havertys?

Crusher X
1000+ posts
09/27/06 11:07 PM

We bought a great living room set and bedroom set for a total of about 7k about a year and a half ago. We got it at Furniture Row in Austin (Sofa Mart/Oak Express). It fit our style perfectly. Plus, we got no interest financing til 2010. Remember, we got that in 2005. We really like our stuff.

Understand that change begins with the individual.

Texas97
2500+ posts
09/27/06 11:59 PM

how does ashely, havertys, sofa mart, bassett, foleys, macys all rank in comparison to each other?

austinmama
500+ posts
09/28/06 12:10 AM

Check out this website --The Link Great leather pieces -- some of the same stuff in Louis Shanks and John-William. Much, much lower prices.

Texas97
2500+ posts
09/28/06 01:50 AM

where do you buy that? it looks like the stores are only in NC.

austinmama
500+ posts
09/29/06 05:35 PM

brick and mortar stores are in nc. you can order over the phone, though, and shipping is very inexpensive (sometimes free if the manufacturer is having a promotion). if you want to see stuff in person, you can call and ask who the manufacturer is (it is not listed on their website), find out who carries it locally, and go look at it then order.

i saved $1700 on a table and chairs by using boyles, and saved about $1000 combined on a desk and chair. the leather sofas i have in my media room (got them at john-william) are on there and i am afraid to ask how much they are at boyles. my interior designer has had clients order from them and says their prices are lower than she can get the stuff at market in dallas.

cannot recommend them highly enough.

austinmama
500+ posts
09/29/06 05:41 PM
Re: Ashley Furniture & Sofa Mart? [re: austinmama]

to explain further, this place carries furniture by various brand name manufacturers (the same furniture you find at places like star, louis shanks, etc.). pursuant to agreements with the manufacturers, they do not list the specific manufacturer of a piece on their website. some manufacturers allow them to list prices online, some require that you call or get an email quote.

they are very helpful over the phone -- i suspect you can call and tell them what you are looking for and what you want to spend and they can give you some ideas in your price range and tell you the manufacturers of the pieces, at which point you can go look at them in a b&m store if you want.

again, cannot recommend them highly enough.

wolfman
1000+ posts
09/29/06 06:34 PM

If you are thinking of ordering furniture, you may want to check out these guys. I saved around 40% on what I was planning to buy at Havertys, and that included the shipping charges. You kind of have to know what you want before ordering form them though:
www.furniturelandsouth.com/

UT94Horn
100+ posts
10/01/06 02:44 AM

I bought a leather living room set from Ashley's a couple of years ago, and have no complaints. I'm in SA and they seemed to have the overall best selection.

The set is well made and I have had no complaints.

magicpie
First Time Poster
08/02/07 12:52 PM

I ordered furniture from Ashley Furniture in Charlotte NC. The showroom was large, with many selections. I knew what I wanted from the internet. Unfortunately I cannot say how good it is, because I am STILL waiting for delivery. They do NOT promise any delivery date, and they only call you 2 days before the date to tell you if you are going to get the furniture. It is going on 6 weeks for me. They put all these clauses in their delivery verbage, which basically states they can deliver whenever they want to, and you have no rights to your money back. They give themselves a 14 day window from delivery date, and they keep moving the delivery date out within 14 days. Then they call again, to "reschedule" within another 14 day window. I will never buy from them again. Every other store I have used can promise a definite delivery date

PacSER
5000+ posts
08/02/07 03:05 PM

We bought from sofa mart and LOVE the couch but it is less than a year old. It also is not leather but it is very comfortable. No interest financing for awhile. Nice people as well.

Let this be a great thing in life, but donít let it be the best thing that ever happens in your life. Öbe great husbands and great dads, and make a difference. -Mack Brown

mishatx
2500+ posts
08/02/07 05:29 PM

We're in the process of replacing our Roomstore funiture (anyone want a well loved couch and loveseat on the real cheap?) and just picked up a couch at Ashley. Only had it a few days but it's nice.
They do promise a delivery date, and showed up on time as scheduled. Sofa Mart on the other hand, couldn't even tell us if the furniture we had picked out would ever be available.

UTEE
2500+ posts
08/02/07 06:54 PM

Ashley is decent, middle-of-the-road furniture. We bought a sofa/loveseat set from them about 6 years ago and it's still holding up well, it has at least another 4 years of life in it, and by then we'll be ready to change the style anyway.

And actually, we bought it from Texas Discount Furniture rather than from the Ashley store, and we got a better price. TDF has catalogs and you can order a lot of the Ashley stuff even if they don't have it on their showroom floor.

"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word." -- John Steinbeck

gsoda3
1000+ posts
08/02/07 07:13 PM

i'll echo magicpie's statements. i bought a bedroom set from ashley's two months ago and didn't receive the last piece until 2 weeks ago. at first they couldn't guarantee a delivery date. then they called 2 days later and told us they had a delivery date, but they'd get here sometime b/t 7am and 11pm. that's right, 7AM and 11PM.

then the day they are supposed to deliver, they call us and tell us they can't deliver it b/c one of the items they received at the warehouse is damaged. apparently ashley's warehouses don't actually have a lot of inventory, they have to order it from somewhere else and it gets delivered to the warehouse before going onto the truck. so i tell them that was unacceptable b/c i had guests coming over and we need places to sleep. but no dice, they couldn't get it here so they gave us a $50 loyalty card and say they'll deliver w/i a week.

the next week they call and tell us to expect delivery on monday from 7am to 11pm. they deliver the item, but the order is incomplete. someone at the store only ordered one half of the box spring. so we have a mattress, the frame, and one half of a box spring. we get on the horn again and ask them what kind of business they're trying to run, and they promise to refund our delivery fee of $99.

that last call was made 3 weeks ago, and i'm still waiting on our check. this is the ashley furniture on 35 and wells branch pkwy.

brett_reeves
< 25 posts
08/06/07 03:51 PM

Whatever you don't buy from Ashley. In early may of this year I ordered living room furniture for the place I was about to move to. The furniture was scheduled to be delivered June 2nd. Nobody showed up or called. I called their customer service department and they agreed to deliver it the next saturday. The next saturday the delivery guys and arrive and immediately have me sign something. I asked him what it was and he said not to worry it was just confirming what I had ordered(which turned out to be a lie). They bring in the ottoman and tables which were in good condition. Then they bring in the chair and couch with the cushions face down. While I'm using the bathroom they run out of the door. I come out and turn over the cushions and it looked like somebody scratched the cushions with the end of a screwdriver. There was also a hole in the leather that looked like they tried to repair it, as well as scratches all along the back and sided from where they just shoved it through the door. Needless to say, it was obvious that they delivery guys knew that they were delivering damaged goods. I call the customer service and they tell me that I signed a document saying that I received the merchandise in good condition and that I was stuck with the furniture. The customer service department was full of the rudest people I've ever dealt with. After hours of yelling and cussing at the numerous customer service people I finally spoke to someone in charge. Finally she agreed that the shady actions of the delivery guys warranted me getting new furniture. A second delivery was scheduled for the next saturday. The delivery guy this time scratched the leather again and left a scratch about 2 ft long in the leather. So I refused the furniture. Then they told me they had to order furniture so it would be a while before I got my couch. The third time the delivery guys say that they don't think they should try to bring the couch up the stairs of my apartment because they think it would probably get scratched again. You would think they would keep some bubble wrap or something in their trucks. So the fourth delivery was scheduled for last weekend from 4-6pm. I go into work and get a phone call from the driver at 1:00pm saying that they are about to be there. I told them that I was still at work and they acted mad at me for not being there three hours early. Then someone from customer service called and acted annoyed with the whole situation. I told her that if anybody should be pissed it should be me. She asked why I was being so difficult. Then I told her with multiple f bombs that all I wanted was my furniture delivered in good condition and when they say it's going to be there. Needless I'm frustrated as hell. Any advice. Should I demand some of my money back or just take it?

tbone
2500+ posts
08/06/07 07:28 PM

I've had good luck at Ashley.

Walk on home, boy...

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy