Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
robr
25+ posts
10/31/07 03:19 PM
Do speeding tickets "go away"?

I got a ticket about 7 years ago in west Texas (Pecos County, I think). I never took care of it. Is there a statute of limitations where it just falls off, or is it there forever?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

rhg84
1000+ posts
10/31/07 03:40 PM
Re: Do speeding tickets "go away"? [re: robr]

i'm no lawyer but you probably have a warrant out for you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

WhoseHouseSponsor
500+ posts
10/31/07 03:43 PM

It has not gone away.

Sangre NaranjadaSponsor
10,000+ posts
10/31/07 03:56 PM

Dude, you're probably [censored]. Next time you go to renew your license, you'll get handcuffed.

Voluntarily contact them and they might use lube.

"going to aggyland is about as glorious as a thorough proctology exam" - Horns83 8/1/07

halsteadfrost
1000+ posts
10/31/07 04:00 PM

I say just ignore it. I'm not going to say it's gone away, but if you aren't getting letters, it's not coming up when you get pulled over, and the yallow you to renew your license, don't worry about it. My theory is eventually it will go away, and if it doesn't, pay the warrant, plead not guilty, and then see if the cop shows up.

Twenty bucks says he's sitting in his car debating on whether or not he should go out...

po elvisSponsor
10,000+ posts
10/31/07 04:21 PM

how bout if i got a ticket in Florida 17 years ago. i paid it, but late. they sent me a notice saying i owed them more for a late fee. i never sent that in.

surely if i got stopped in Florida right now there would be no consequences, would there?

thank you. i am dumber for reading this.

halsteadfrost
1000+ posts
10/31/07 04:58 PM

When you go to renew your license and a ticket comes up they just tell you they can't renew it and then give you a phone number to call which will tell you any warrants you have out. I did it yesterday successfully despite having some sort of outstanding ticket.

Twenty bucks says he's sitting in his car debating on whether or not he should go out...

Sangre NaranjadaSponsor
10,000+ posts
10/31/07 06:15 PM

Maybe not when you renew your license, but at DPS I have witnessed on several occasions people being arrested and handcuffed when they went in to get a copy of their driving record or an SR-22. Those people had outstanding warrants for, among other things, traffic tickets.

"going to aggyland is about as glorious as a thorough proctology exam" - Horns83 8/1/07

tx 3 putt
500+ posts
10/31/07 06:43 PM

Go into hiding, I recommend Argentina.

Live the rest of your life under an alias.

scottsinsSponsor
5000+ posts
10/31/07 06:44 PM

In reply to:

Is there a statute of limitations where it just falls off, or is it there forever?

This is a good example of a widely held misconception about the system tjhat I shall now clarify.

A statute of limitations describes a maximum time limit, during which someone must be charged with a crime, after it is alleged to have been committed.

IOW, a SOL runs from the time the alleged crime is committed until that person is charged. It does not have anything to do with the time that elapses from the time you are charged, until they take you to court, or can convict you, etc.

that will be $100 please.

"Better frozen with weiner in hand than naked on couch with peanut butter all over me. "

---Macanudo

robr
25+ posts
10/31/07 07:45 PM

scott, that was a perfect example of why attorneys can be pontificating pricks.
They have sent me stuff, I do have a warrant. I've even been pulled over,also in a wreck where they ran my license in. One officer told me about it, but didn't want to mess with it. The other officer saw it on his computer a few years ago, but didn't mention it to me. I just can't imagine 20years down the road some cop trying to give me the business over a speeding ticket from somewhere else.

rhg84
1000+ posts
10/31/07 08:49 PM

it just takes one [censored] cop and your going to jail, honestly you have gotten way too lucky i have never met a cop that wouldnt take someone in if they had a warrant no matter how old it is. I dont see anything wrong with what scottsins said he was just explaining something. just take care of it and avoid any trouble later

scottsinsSponsor
5000+ posts
10/31/07 08:55 PM

In reply to:

scott, that was a perfect example of why attorneys can be pontificating pricks

sorry for stating that your misconception was common, and that i would proceed to clarify it for yourself and others.

the $100 please was a joke.

jesus. i made it clear that your view on SOL was wrong, but common. That means that there's no degradation of you for thinking that way, since MOST people have the same view of it.

"Better frozen with weiner in hand than naked on couch with peanut butter all over me. "

---Macanudo

NickDanger
10,000+ posts
10/31/07 09:26 PM

That was helpful advice, Scottsins. Thank you for taking time out of your day to offer some free legal advice. I'm sure you were hoping to be insulted, so that was a nice bonus. We're all appreciative of being called pontificating pricks on occasion. That's usually the only reason I ever wear a necktie. So that I can keep the foreskin from obscuring my vision, you know.

C.L. McLovinModerator
10,000+ posts
10/31/07 09:57 PM

As a member of the non legal public, thank you Scottsins for clearing up a common misconception. When I read it I did not even think of it as a direct response to the original thread made by a person who irresponsibly did not take care of their own actions and continue to choose not to unless forced to.

Your words were educational and quick to the point. I now feel empowered with such potent legal information and thank you on behalf of the planet lucky enough not to be lawyers. Ty and go have a beer for us.

Please see above.

C.L. McLovinModerator
10,000+ posts
10/31/07 09:58 PM

(now, give ME that hundy dollah)

Please see above.

idigTexasSponsor
2500+ posts
10/31/07 10:13 PM

I've been irresponsible and am hoping that there won't be any consequences. Can you give me some free legal advice? Oh, that's not the answer I was looking for, you prick.

Does this karma make me look fat?

Orangesweat
2002 Omaha Challenge Champion
10/31/07 11:51 PM

In reply to:

We're all appreciative of being called pontificating pricks on occasion.

You're lucky. I've never been called one.

Edited by Orangesweat (10/31/07 11:52 PM)

C.L. McLovinModerator
10,000+ posts
11/01/07 12:23 AM

Are you soliciting?

Please see above.

uisge beathaSponsor
1000+ posts
11/01/07 12:29 AM

I've never been accused of pontificating.

Sangre NaranjadaSponsor
10,000+ posts
11/01/07 12:40 AM

^
|

Jeez, watta' prick...

hullabelewSponsor
5000+ posts
11/01/07 11:19 AM
Re: Do speeding tickets "go away"? [re: uisge beatha]

In reply to:

but if you aren't getting letters, it's not coming up when you get pulled over,

I can personally say this is horrible, this advice. I got pulled over one day. The DPS dude ended up giving me a warning but he asked my buddy for his license. He didn't have it on him but gave the trooper his name. Trooper sent us on our way, then in about 5 minutes, he lit me up again, cuffed my buddy and took him to jail for an unpaid speeding ticket.

I had to pay his fine and fees to get him out of jail. He had no money on him. Wanna take that chance?

Please Visit JoeMojica.com
Mihm_Rules, Rules

Here's To You Balzac

KaiserSoze
5000+ posts
11/01/07 12:57 PM

In reply to:

scott, that was a perfect example of why attorneys can be pontificating pricks.

Are you [censored] kidding me? The guy helped you out and you're calling him a prick? Lighten up Francis. So far that comment of yours is the only prick-like post on this thread.

Walk heavy, talk wild, and kick ass in every direction.

sawbonz
250+ posts
11/01/07 05:12 PM
Re: Do speeding tickets [re: C.L. McLovin]

Yeah, I thought scottsins' post was well written, informative, and rendered in a nonjudgemental tone.

Still doesn't mean he's not a pontificating prick though

kevwun
5000+ posts
11/02/07 11:52 AM

When you don't pay a ticket your name is sent to a DPS database called OMNI. You won't be able to renew your license and if you ever get pulled over again and they run your name, a DPS warrant will show up for you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy