Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
wild_turkey
1000+ posts
12/04/07 08:10 PM
What to do about a squeaky box spring?

I bought a new Sealy mattress set about 8 months ago, paid about $1400, and the box spring squeaks really bad. It's gotten worse over the months and now I'd like to have it fixed or replaced. I'm afraid if I get a replacement then I will spend a lot of time arranging pickup/delivery, and end up with the exact same thing. Is there a way to fix a box spring on your own? Surely some of you have encountered this problem.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

EuroHorn
1000+ posts
12/04/07 08:17 PM
Re: What to do about a squeaky box spring? [re: wild_turkey]

I just put more sound proofing material in the walls.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Tyler Durden
1000+ posts
12/04/07 08:48 PM

Stop jumping on the bed or whatever it is you are doing. Do your house guests/family hear the squeaks?

wild_turkey
1000+ posts
12/04/07 10:21 PM

We don't have kids, but during periods of heavy use it gets pretty loud. We could never take part in such activity if there were people at our house, plus it's just damn annoying. Even when one of us rolls over in the middle of the night, there's a loud creak that's enough to wake both of us up.

Smoky Brisket
1000+ posts
12/04/07 10:44 PM

"No sex at all"

NCAAFBALLROX
2500+ posts
12/04/07 11:38 PM
Re: What to do about a squeaky box spring? [re: Smoky Brisket]

I find that marriage tends to diminish if not end all bed noises save for snoring.

HornzUp
25+ posts
12/04/07 11:38 PM

In reply to:

"No sex at all"

I thought that was only on Esthers.

I kid, I kid!

Wild BillSponsor
2500+ posts
12/05/07 12:01 AM

People in Columbus, Ohio would probably suggest burning it, but I'm not sure that would help.

next2naus
5000+ posts
12/05/07 02:58 AM

buy a new bed that doesn't require a box spring. Box springs are hold-overs from when mattresses were thin, [censored], and not springy

...She'd never been to Texas, never heard of King Kong...

gsoda3
1000+ posts
12/05/07 03:06 AM

get married. uh huh.

TexasDan
500+ posts
12/05/07 08:29 AM

Bring a smaller woman home?

wild_turkey
1000+ posts
12/05/07 10:29 AM

In reply to:

buy a new bed that doesn't require a box spring. Box springs are hold-overs from when mattresses were thin, [censored], and not springy

What are you supposed to use in place of the boxspring? The mattress stores all sell boxsprings with the mattresses, so I'm not sure what the alternative is here. I'm not gonna set the mattress directly on the frame because then it sits too low.

hookemhookem
25+ posts
12/05/07 12:18 PM

Are you sure it is the actual box spring? I had the same issue--started about 6 mos after I got the new box spring and bed. The noise was coming from the box spring rubbing against the frame. Everywhere that the two touched, I just added some padding.

1) Have someone else jump/roll/crawl/swing on top of the bed to induce squeaking
2) Crawl under bed to identify actual location of squeakiness
3) Add padding (I used those things that they put under rugs to keep them from slipping)
4) Resume pre-squeak activities in relative silence

mayberryrfd
100+ posts
12/07/07 01:50 AM

Check the corners of your boxspring. We just bought (this week) a new 'top o the line' Sealy set too and noticed it had reinforced corners that look like metal. The bed frame and rails are metal and I am thinking the scraping of metal on metal is causing the noise. I'm going to re check the bed in the morning and pad/buffer the corners if that is the case.

NCAAFBALLROX
2500+ posts
12/07/07 03:39 AM
Re: What to do about a squeaky box spring? [re: mayberryrfd]

Yeah, but Mayberry - when your hubster deploys to Iraq you shouldn't have any squeaking anyhow.

mayberryrfd
100+ posts
12/09/07 04:08 AM
Re: What to do about a squeaky box spring? [re: NCAAFBALLROX]

In reply to:

Yeah, but Mayberry - when your hubster deploys to Iraq you shouldn't have any squeaking anyhow

Rox...erm...it's not MY mattress. I have a king sized sleigh bed...

We just upgraded the bed the 8 yr old sleeps in.

next2naus
5000+ posts
12/09/07 04:29 AM

Wild Turkey: get a real bed frame if your still using one of those cheapee collapsible frames that tend to be so low to the ground.

here is where I make the magic happen
I have enough clearance to store items underneath with easy access if need be and it's just the right height for 3:16 activities

it's all metal and makes little noise. find a style you like and good with it. this is my second bed sans box spring and I don't see ever going back.

...She'd never been to Texas, never heard of King Kong...

wild_turkey
1000+ posts
12/09/07 01:34 PM

I don't have a cheap metal frame, it's a big wooden bed. The rails that support the boxspring/mattress are wooden too, so it's possible the noise is coming from wood against wood. I'll check that out later today, but otherwise the mattress company said they'd send us a new boxspring.

wild_turkey
1000+ posts
12/09/07 08:09 PM

In reply to:

1) Have someone else jump/roll/crawl/swing on top of the bed to induce squeaking
2) Crawl under bed to identify actual location of squeakiness
3) Add padding (I used those things that they put under rugs to keep them from slipping)
4) Resume pre-squeak activities in relative silence

Ok, did this today and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll know better once I've slept on it and on it a few times.

wild_turkey
1000+ posts
12/09/07 08:11 PM

In reply to:

this is my second bed sans box spring and I don't see ever going back.

The only problem with that is that I like my bed to sit up high, so a box spring is kinda required.

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy