Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
getBent()
500+ posts
02/12/08 08:34 AM
W-2 vs. 1099 Hourly Rates

I'm thinking about doing some work on a straight contract. What is an appropriate pay rate increase for 1099 work vs. being a W-2 employee?

For example, if I was making $50/hour as a W-2 employee should I be asking for $60/hour as a 1099? $70?

I know I'll be hit with another 7.5% in self-employment taxes, but what's appropriate for the other added expenses (bookkeeping, billing, etc.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

mishatx
2500+ posts
02/12/08 09:41 AM
Re: W-2 vs. 1099 Hourly Rates [re: getBent()]

In reply to:

I know I'll be hit with another 7.5% in self-employment taxes, but what's appropriate for the other added expenses (bookkeeping, billing, etc.)

It's more than 7.5% - the number at the bottom of schedule SE is 15.3% of the amount up to $97,500 (and 2.5% of any amount above that), and although half that is deductible from your regular income, it's still an effective rate of 10-12% most of the time.

You also need to consider that as a W-2 you probably got benefits - leave, insurance, etc that you won't get as a 1099. I'd think a $50/hr w-2 should need $75 as a 1099, and I remember seeing one rule-of-thumb somewhere that it should be as high as $100 (partly because as a W-2, if the work runs dry temporarily they'll find something for you to do and pay you, as a 1099 they'll send you home till more work comes in)

Check mii out
4546-0941-0561

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

getBent()
500+ posts
02/12/08 07:07 PM

Thanks for the response mishatx. This is new area for me and I thought I was erring on the safe side with a 20% increase - just goes to show how new I am. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get another 50% on top of my normal rate, but it's good to know that's a realistic number.

Thanks again.

CO Horn
250+ posts
02/12/08 11:49 PM

As a W-2 employee you pay 7.65% for social security taxes. As a 1099 contractor you pay both the employee and the employer portion, so it doubles to 15.3%.

We pay contractors 40-50% more than a W-2 employee, so if you would make $50/hr as an employee, I would ask for $70-$75 minimum as a contractor.

BA93
5000+ posts
02/13/08 02:52 PM
Re: W-2 vs. 1099 Hourly Rates [re: CO Horn]

Also think about how much time you will be working or not. People who employ contractors sometimes conveniently forgot that contractors don't get 10 paid holidays or a few weeks paid vacation. And sick days? of course not.

But if they are expecting you to work 50 hour weeks than you might be coming out way ahead.

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy