Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
dlatin
250+ posts
03/16/08 08:38 PM
New House - yard full of weeds - Help!

Just moved into a new house which the previous owner did not care much for lawn maintenance. The base would be bermuda, but it is pretty much all weeds.

I started working on the major weeds today, hand pulling, but then I realized it would take about a week of pulling to pull all the weeds by hand.

Does anyone recommend how I should go about re-claiming the yard? Does weed and feed really work in such extreme cases? Should I re-seed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

"Yeah...I want to go to Hawaii...yeah...."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
03/16/08 09:11 PM
Re: New House - yard full of weeds - Help! [re: dlatin]

While I am only a gardener in the process of learning, slowly, I will say that it may behoove you to put the back breaking stuff in now. I would not want to use any chemicals, not that you would. You gotta get the roots out or they could pop back up. Go get some tall brown garden bags and make a goal to fill two up a day. You have the added sunshine to do this.

Just make sure to get the roots. Then you can maybe turn the soil over and treat the yard? I am going on hunch here. I am sure the actual gardeners will have a better solution but that is what I woud do.

Efficiency and progress is ours once more, now that we have the neutron bomb... Jello Biafra

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

TexasEd
5000+ posts
03/16/08 09:42 PM

Weed hound or weed popper keeps you from having to bend over.

Dyson should sponsor OU sports

TheFied
1000+ posts
03/16/08 09:45 PM

I have a tool that is about 1 foot long and has a metal end that looks like a snake's tongue. I am basically on all 4s. I have yet to use the weed hopper but the tool I have plus a glove on the hand I'm using it with (otherwise say hello to blisters) works like a charm. But takes hours. I did the backyard this weekend for 2 hours and the front yard after work on Wed. for 2 hours. Not fun but I know that I have fewer weeds this year than last.

bozo_casanova
5000+ posts
03/16/08 10:02 PM

weed and feed sucks. Really, monoculture kind of sucks, but I understand about getting things under control.

Really, weeds are a symptom of poor soil health. Those are the plants that do well in the condition your yard is in. My thinking would be to
1) buy a weed popper or a diamond head hoe, and take down the weeds as you have time.
2) Top dress your lawn with about 1" of manure compost now and water it in to improve your soil.
3) Use a good organic fertilizer in mid april
4) Mow your yard as high as your mower goes, but do it every week. DO NOT BAG YOUR CLIPPINGS. The chopped up clippings are mulch, which hold moisture, protect the soil from high temps, and decompose nutrition back into the soil.
5) Water 1X/Week and not more, deeply.
6) In the fall, fertilize with a good organic fert and overseed with rye. Most people use annual ryegrass, but I'm beginning to think cereal rye is better. Either way, do it.
7) Next spring, spread Corn Gluten Meal in mid-February and start over.

Overtime, this will create a set of conditions that the grass will like and most of the weeds won't. A few really nice "weeds" that are superior in 1000 ways to bermuda grass (like sweet clover) will probably like it, but that's a good thing.

BOOM! POW!

Edited by bozo_casanova (03/16/08 10:03 PM)

TheFied
1000+ posts
03/16/08 10:24 PM

Why use rye?

Sangre NaranjadaSponsor
10,000+ posts
03/17/08 05:45 AM

I'll try that. Rye grows in cool weather so the yard is green in winter. A healthy stand of rye would presumably inhibit the ability of weed seeds to germinate over the winter when the Bermuda is brown and dormant.

"going to aggyland is about as glorious as a thorough proctology exam" - Horns83 8/1/07

chuychanga
1000+ posts
03/17/08 08:23 AM

If you water the lawn first to get the soil nice and soft, the weeds will come up by the root easier, instead of snapping off at the base.

Gardner Barnes
5000+ posts
03/17/08 09:08 AM

Man, I spent all day yesterday doing the same thing. My hands are toast today. Basically 4 kinds of weeds:

I had this kind of creeper weed that I could just rake up but that SOB stuck to everything.
Dandelions
Something that looked like parsley and had a white taproot
Wild Onion

Loneliness is Listening to Other People [do it] in a Hampton Inn
- Baboso

TheFied
1000+ posts
03/17/08 10:34 AM

In reply to:

Something that looked like parsley and had a white taproot

Gardner, I know exactly what you are talking about. What is it called? I had that BIG TIME last spring. Last spring was my 1st spring for my yard (I have bermudagrass and it was new construction).

This year, I have seen a few of those but nothing like last year.

This year, I am having alot of nut grass (in one particular area especially) and onion grass everywhere.

bozo_casanova
5000+ posts
03/17/08 11:29 AM
Re: New House - yard full of weeds - Help! [re: Sangre Naranjada]

In reply to:

I'll try that. Rye grows in cool weather so the yard is green in winter. A healthy stand of rye would presumably inhibit the ability of weed seeds to germinate over the winter when the Bermuda is brown and dormant.

yep, that's the idea anyway. Overseeding also gives you a nice looking winter turf, prevents erosion and compaction.

Two caveats, though-
1) don't use CGM in the fall to surpress winter weeds and overseed with rye or ryegrass, because the CGM will supress the that as well. This is why I use CGM only for spring/summer weeds. I find the ryegrass plus fall fert outcompetes winter weeds. and gives the bermuda a good place to grow into.

2) I've used annual ryegrass plenty, but never personally used cereal rye, so I can attest to how well ryegrass works, but can't speak for rye beyond what I've heard, which is great. I'll be trying cereal rye in the back yard this winter.

BOOM! POW!

Edited by bozo_casanova (03/17/08 11:34 AM)

Gardner Barnes
5000+ posts
03/17/08 11:31 AM

I have no idea what the parsley weed was called,, but they were pretty easy to pull up. There were just a lot of them.

I had the same issue as you as we have moved into a new house where the previous owner did not take good care of the yard. I figure this is a 3-5 year project of cleaning the mess up.

Man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but pulling is not going to cut it with nut grass. Usually they have 3 or 4 nodules/tubers/nuts that are weakly connected to the main stem. 98% of the time I tried to pull those up I did not get everything.

I suggest you use Image and reapply in 6 weeks.

Loneliness is Listening to Other People [do it] in a Hampton Inn
- Baboso

bozo_casanova
5000+ posts
03/17/08 11:58 AM
Re: New House - yard full of weeds - Help! [re: Gardner Barnes]

GB-that's why I recommend the weed popper specifically- it gets the nutgrass, root and all.

I guess I just get very concerned about putting anything (like imazaquin) that kills a plant like dollarweed or nutsedge being anywhere near my kids, my dogs, me, or my water supply.

BOOM! POW!

dendox
1000+ posts
03/17/08 12:18 PM

parsley weed - could it be purple nutsedge? That freaking weed is kicking my yard's ass this year. I have pulled tons of it up - only to learn that this is probably not a good thing. The seeds (nuts) reside under ground and when you pull them up you mess with the nuts and a few new weeds sprout up.

If anyone knows more about this stupid weed - fill me in.

Texags gem re $bill- Gate receipts is all that matters. Oh......and winning championships in dwarf equestrian underbelly riding championships.

TheFied
1000+ posts
03/17/08 12:29 PM

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi>link

I don't think that what I have is purple nutsedge based on the link above.

As for nutgrass, I am not surprised that pulling out by hand doesn't work. I did it 2 weeks ago only to do it again this weekend. I am getting the root though, doesn't matter?

jmatt
2500+ posts
03/17/08 12:45 PM

Try this (homemade natural weed killer) The Link It is similar to some mixes I've read or heard about, except for the salt.

Here's another site: Link

dendox
1000+ posts
03/17/08 12:51 PM

this is the nutsedge I have been having. It is really broad leaf pain in the ass. pulling is bad - at least that is what the internet tells me.

kind of looks like parsley to me. The other pictures that showed up on yuor link - I haven't seen that stage yet.

I ordered some sedge hammer stuff last week. Put it on on a Sunday (wasn't supposed to rain for about 8 hours) and it started raining almost an hour and half later. I think I may have wasted 30 bucks on that [censored]

Texags gem re $bill- Gate receipts is all that matters. Oh......and winning championships in dwarf equestrian underbelly riding championships.

dendox
1000+ posts
03/17/08 12:53 PM

I need to have my head examined. That doesn't look anything like parsley. my bad.

I was thinking onions.

What an idoit.

Brak
500+ posts
03/17/08 02:31 PM

I would not recommend hand pulling the weeds unless you are a masochist. As others have said, you want to get your burmuda healthy. Begin by mowing the weeds ever week to prevent them from going to seed and to stunt their growth. This will also allow your bermuda to compete.

Apply the Image. The bermuda won't really start growing until April. Them make sure you are watering on a regular basis, especially if we have not had any rain. Once the temps are consistently over 80 degrees you can apply MSMA which should kill the weeds that are left. This stuff works great in bermuda but not for St. A.

I also would recommend compost. Once the grass is growing make sure to mow weekly and water regularly.

My comment on Ryegrass is this. I mow my yard all summer and enjoy the break in the winter. If you have Ryegrass you will have to mow it. In a warm winter it will grown like crazy. Also once the temps start to warm up Rye looks like crap.

Edited by Brak (03/17/08 02:35 PM)

TheFied
1000+ posts
03/17/08 04:17 PM

In reply to:

I would not recommend hand pulling the weeds unless you are a masochist. As others have said, you want to get your burmuda healthy. Begin by mowing the weeds ever week to prevent them from going to seed and to stunt their growth. This will also allow your bermuda to compete.

Interesting. I mowed the yard back in November or December but mainly to mow over all my leaves (red oaks and live oaks) to mulch them up. I mowed this past weekend also to mulch the leaves. So you are saying to not pick the weeds out by hand but instead mow over them? Which weeds does this work for?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy