Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
BA93
5000+ posts
03/17/08 03:54 PM
Oil lease royalties question

Over the past 16 months, a relative of mine has received a very nice oil royalty for some land last owned in our family 50 years ago. Its in Zavala county. The amount has gone from a few hundred to per year up as high as 12 grand per month. Over the past few months, its down to 8 to 9 grand per month.

Some firm has given her an offer to purchase her share for 85K. To me thats seem low since at the current rate, that amount should be reached in 9 months or so.

Does this sound like a fair offer or someone trying to rip her off? I told her to keep the share unless she really needed the money now.

Edited by BA93 (03/17/08 03:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

kevwun
5000+ posts
03/17/08 04:07 PM
Re: Oil lease royalties question [re: BA93]

Did she get a letter in the mail that was unsolicited? If so,tell her to burn the letter. Her share is worth a lot more if they're offering that much.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

BA93
5000+ posts
03/17/08 04:29 PM
Re: Oil lease royalties question [re: kevwun]

Yes, I believe it was unsolicited. Another company offerred about 25% less about 2 months ago. Almost seems like someone fishing to find a person desperate for money.

Is it normal to receive unsolicited offers like this?

kevwun
5000+ posts
03/17/08 04:32 PM

Yes, it's a common tactic in areas with a lot of oil activity. You described what it is perfectly. It's not illegal, but it's definitely [censored]. They prey on old people mainly.

CaboWaboSponsor
1000+ posts
03/17/08 04:34 PM

I think I would tell them to F off. She should know, however, that those royalties can come to a halt as quickly as it started up.

kevwun
5000+ posts
03/17/08 04:37 PM

That's true. If they're willing to pay that much, there's a good change it's not going to stop in near future. They're not offering 85,000 for no reason.

DCA_HORN
500+ posts
03/17/08 05:01 PM

If these royalties have been in the family for years and they have increased that much it is due to more than just prices going up. Most likely there is significant drilling in the area. I would tell her to hold onto them. If you do get to negotiating be sure to hire a lawyer and engineer.

We're almost finished, so instead of talking about the normal issues of pigeons, elevators and ticket scalping, Wednesday Weekly will be limited this week to the information we have on the football VIP newsletters.

Lat22Sponsor
5000+ posts
03/17/08 05:12 PM

No way. Keep your minerals. Little old ladies are always bringing in these bank drafts and they have no idea that they are getting ready to sign over all of their mineral rights. That is, until we tell them.

badexcuseSponsor
2500+ posts
03/17/08 05:51 PM

Forget it...I'll pay you $100K!

rice97ut02
1000+ posts
03/17/08 09:12 PM

I bid $101k

SMDhorn
1000+ posts
03/17/08 11:59 PM

If someone offers you $85k for something you already own, and they plan to make more money off of it...

I guess there are stupid people who fall for it.

"Aggies are conundrum-guisada wrapped in enigma and smothered with stupid sauce, and served on a pile of refried ignorance." - kujotx

jmrob93Sponsor
1000+ posts
03/18/08 09:10 AM

My mom is in a little different situation-- the owners of the well are pumping a very small amount down from 2 yrs ago-- they have offered to buy all the shareholders out-- my dad thinks they are backing off to get them to sell then go full bore making lots of money

BA93
5000+ posts
03/18/08 10:01 AM
Re: Oil lease royalties question [re: jmrob93]

Actually this situation may be similar. The monthly checks started to drop then some offers were made to buy her out. seems suspicious.

How could someone check out what is going on? does the drilling company have to provide any data to the mineral rights owners about their future production estimates? Or are you at the mercy of them and their ethics? scary thought.

ScoProSponsor
5000+ posts
03/18/08 10:16 AM

Maybe Kenny Lay ain't really dead.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

lnghrnpe13
< 25 posts
03/18/08 11:50 AM

You can find production data for any oil or gas lease in Texas through the Railroad Commission website.

Here is the Link

lnghrnpe13
< 25 posts
03/18/08 11:55 AM

The most likely scenario is that a well was just drilled or re-completed and production is now steeply declining (common for new wells) and thus you suddenly see an increase in royalties that are also steeply declining. If she is intereseted in selling these royalties she definintely needs to hire a petroleum engineer or engineering firm to evaluate current and potential (future drilling) value of the royalties.

SullHorn
500+ posts
03/18/08 12:12 PM

In reply to:

Actually this situation may be similar. The monthly checks started to drop then some offers were made to buy her out. seems suspicious.

I'm not 100% certain because I work with Wyoming oil leases, but there could be a unit problem--if someone is a partner/royalty owner in the area, they could be a stick-in-the-mud and cause a hangup in any potential stimulation. In this case, the company might just try to get all of the royalties to simplify operations and potentially increase production.

If your family member isn't the one being the pain in the ass, stick it out.

marghorn
25+ posts
03/19/08 04:25 PM

South Texas (especially Gulf of Mexico onshore) wells tend to have a very quick decline curve. A resource play in West Texas may get you smaller royalty checks for 30 years, whereas Gulf Coast you would expect large checks for 2 or 3 years that then begin to decline quickly. For Gulf Coast a reasonable low-end value multiple would be 3x your annual royalty payment. Thus, I would tell your mom not to consider selling her interest for anything under $200k. Much more research would need to be done obivously, but thought I would supply a rough metric.

Frogstyle
500+ posts
03/23/08 04:13 PM

Mineral acquisition by mail is 99% of the time a game played in bad faith as royalty snipes are essentially looking to create arbitrage opportunities at the mineral owners expense. My wife has leased up several unconventional acreage positions development pending non-participatory or back-in offers from reputable mid/large cap operators, so she’s practiced at refusing unsolicited chickenshit bids. I agree with whomever advised you burn the contract.

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy