Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
denchen
250+ posts
06/14/08 02:36 PM
New AC Unit - What brand is best?

Looking to update new AC unit. We have an old Lennox system that is coming to the end of its life. House is not big, about 1100 sq feet. I know what some of the major brands are: Lennox, Trane, Carrier, etc. Anyone have knowledge of which brand is best? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

BigWill
10,000+ posts
06/14/08 03:13 PM
Re: New AC Unit - What brand is best? [re: denchen]

coke/pepsi.

All you mentioned are good, thrown in York as well.

Look at SEER ratings on each unit. Operating cost is key.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

ScoProSponsor
5000+ posts
06/14/08 03:15 PM

Here's a list I found at a remodel site:

In reply to:

Top Air Conditioner Brands:

1. Trane Air Conditioner
2. Carrier Air Conditioner
3. Goodman Air Conditioner
4. Lennox Air Conditioner
5. York Air Conditioner
6. LG Air Conditioner
7. Mitusbishi Air Conditioner
8. Tempstar
9. Friedrich Air Conditioner
10. Fedders Air Conditioner

I have a Trane 1100 - It's a 4 ton unit that's performed flawlessly for 13 years with annual maintenance checks.
(knock on wood)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

BrûléeOrange
1000+ posts
06/14/08 03:18 PM

"It's hard to stop a Trane."

MaduroUTMB
5000+ posts
06/14/08 03:52 PM

The brand of A/C unit barely matters compared with how your home is insulated.

November 27th, 2008. No Mercy.

cmvUT75
500+ posts
06/14/08 04:26 PM

Concentrate on hooking up with a reputable contractor. A reputable contractor should do a heat load calculation of your home and make recommendations on the size and brand(s) of unit best for your situation ... in other words, he should give you options.
Note that most contractors sell and install more than one brand.

"You'll get nothing and like it!"...Judge Smails

zzzz
10,000+ posts
06/14/08 07:28 PM

My friend does AC work and I believe he said Lennox used proprietary parts -- so they cost more to service and are generally a pain to deal with (from the contractor's POV).

rhg84
1000+ posts
06/14/08 08:59 PM

Craigcito
500+ posts
06/14/08 09:27 PM

FWIW, Trane residential units are made in Tyler, TX. Keep your money in-state if everything else is the same.

The Link

NCAAFBALLROX
5000+ posts
06/14/08 10:36 PM

I will ask for reccomendations from the A/C contractor I do some work for; will see what he says.

“You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance.”

HornHuskerDad
2500+ posts
06/15/08 06:30 AM

My previous unit was a Lennox, and it was total garbage. When it failed, my A/C contractor (local company with an excellent rep and a lot of experience) surveyed the house, did has calculations, and upgraded me to a larger Trane unit. It has worked flawlessly so far and with the higher efficiency, my electric bill went down over $200/month. And the house is much more comfortable now.

HHD

TxStHorn
2500+ posts
06/15/08 07:44 AM

My Carrier is only 4 years old, installed when the house was built.

I've had to have it serviced (usually for leaks) at least one every single year I've had it.

Last month, the compressor blew, and I had to have it completely replaced. It was covered under warranty, but warranty doesn't cover labor, which was $500.

My service tech is a good guy, and says he recommends nothing but Trane.

zzzz
10,000+ posts
06/15/08 09:58 AM

Goodman doesn't advertise much but they have a good reputation. They are based in Houston.

In reply to:

Harold learned that another HVAC manufacturer was closing its doors and selling off its manufacturing equipment. He quickly stepped in to purchase the shuttering company’s machinery, transported it to a large warehouse in Houston, and in 1982, Goodman entered the market as a manufacturer of central air conditioners and heat pumps.

brntorng
1000+ posts
06/15/08 10:19 AM

Trane makes very good units. These are also available under the American Standard brand for a lower price. If you're in Austin, check with Million-aire AC and Heating for an excellent price on American Standard. They did two units for me last year and the price, workmanship and service was outstanding.

denchen
250+ posts
06/15/08 01:37 PM
Re: New AC Unit - What brand is best? [re: zzzz]

In reply to:

My friend does AC work and I believe he said Lennox used proprietary parts -- so they cost more to service and are generally a pain to deal with (from the contractor's POV).

Thanks a ton for all of the responses. The reason why I thought to post this question here is that, from my experience, AC contractors tend to push the product/brand that they get the most kickback from. The quote above is what I've also been told about Lennox. Seems like a lot of people have had good experiences with Trane. Love more feedback if anyone has any.

wolfman
2500+ posts
06/15/08 10:55 PM

I bought my first Trane unit 3 years ago and had been happy with it until this spring when the coil in the outside unit got a major leak in it and had to be replaced. The technician found no gouge marks in the coil. The thing just failed. The part was covered under manufacturers warranty, but the labor and the freon that was lost was not. It ended up costing me $1500 to get the repair done. The fact that Trane would not compensate me for the freon that I lost due to their failed part made me more than a little upset. I heard good opinions from lots of satisfied Trane customers before buyng my unit and overall they are probably good, they are just not as infalable as some people believe they are.

ScoProSponsor
5000+ posts
06/16/08 08:37 AM

Nothing is infallible, as Pete Carroll has demonstrated so well.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

Clarence Iba
500+ posts
06/17/08 08:45 AM

I have a Trane XL10 heat pump at home and it has worked flawlessly since its installation in 1999 with the only maintenance being keeping grass off of it and changing the filters very very often.

My parents installed a Trane XL19i that has trouble keeping their house at 71 degrees during the heat of the day. It can only maintain 74-75 or so which is perfectly acceptable but if you like siberia you might not like this one.

My sister just installed a Lennox XC14, which is actually a 15 SEER (strange). It is virtually silent, runs on 410A, and seems excellent so far. The jury is still out long - term though. I think a proper installation is more important than brand...go with only the most reputable of installers. If friends have had great experiences, see if you can request the same installers who did their home.

DogbertSponsor
1000+ posts
06/17/08 09:33 AM

I find no listing for "Million-aire AC and Heating" in Austin.

NCAAFBALLROX
5000+ posts
06/17/08 12:35 PM
Re: New AC Unit - What brand is best? [re: ScoPro]

American Standard
Rheem
Ruud...

In that order.

Hank was in a meeting & couldn't talk long, but said that Consumer Reports is pretty much spot on with their list (I don't have access to it).

He said Goodman is probably at or near the bottom of the list.

I had every intention of asking him what components make up a good unit vs. a bad one but he didn't have time (I'm expecting it's something like bearings or hose fittings, but don't know).

“You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance.”

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy