Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Rate thread Print Thread
beencounting
25+ posts
08/17/08 03:59 PM
your monthly gas/electric bill?

We were thinking about moving into a 2700sqft one-level Texas home, built 2003, which has combination gas/electric for heating and cooling.

Current owner claims that the electric / gas bills will be:

Hottest summer month : $300 electric $30 gas
Coldest winter month : $50 electric $300 gas. This winter gas bill seems high, what is your experience?

Average month total gas and electric to be $150-200.

Iím looking for feedback from those who have gas/electric setups and their monthly bills.

Do the numbers the owner provided seem correct? What has been your experience in similar size Texas homes with a dual setup?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Ignatius
2500+ posts
08/17/08 04:34 PM
Re: your monthly gas/electric bill? [re: beencounting]

When he says 'electric', is he including water, wastewater, and trash pickup in that $300? If so that seems a little low to me (especially if it's a good size yard), but then our A/C is about 10 years old...

I am enraged by this policy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
08/17/08 05:48 PM

There is no way he is including wastewater, sanitation and the other costs that make up the total bill.

My bill was:

Electric: 92.00 (for sure more than last year)
Water Service: 7.00
Wastewater: 12.00
Solid Waste: 15.00
Drainage/Street Service: 11.00

Ask him if you can see a copy of the bill or how much the city adds on for the other costs. Have an energy audit done to the house to see if there are improvements you can do to drop it or if he has already been ahead of the curve and the house is good to go.

If so, it will be less than you expect but not as low as what he says. His electricity alone costs that, not the bill.

Don't peek at the ribs, they are still there - Hornian in his rib tutorial

DogbertSponsor
1000+ posts
08/17/08 05:48 PM

I'm all electric. My July bill was $175 for water and $275 for electricity. And then there were all the extras.

beencounting
25+ posts
08/17/08 06:05 PM

sorry, didn't say --- water, wastewater(sewage) and trash are separate and was stated as $75-90 / month.

I thought the reason everyone liked gas heating was the lower cost in winter vs. electric heating.

madscientistSponsor
5000+ posts
08/17/08 08:19 PM

sounds about $50 or so too low for 2700 sq. ft.

the path to knighthood is paved with strength and nobility, not LSD and sideburns.

pmg
10,000+ posts
08/17/08 10:34 PM

Where in Texas? In Austin, just look up the last two years on line of the utility usage.

never mind.

DogbertSponsor
1000+ posts
08/17/08 11:13 PM

Got a link to Austin energy usage?

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
08/18/08 12:38 AM

I use gas in the winter to heat and it is really cheap compared to my friends who use electricity. Then again, I am pretty insulated and sealed. I make use of ceiling fans to push the heat down as well.

jimmyjazzSponsor
10,000+ posts
08/18/08 01:33 AM

Our 12-month average use, normalized to a 2700 sf home:

Austin Energy -- $221 (electric, water, wastewater, trash, etc.)

Texas Gas Service -- $83

Total -- $303/month

I have no idea whether that's a good guess or not.

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
08/18/08 02:58 AM

I assume that you close vents to unused rooms. Do you have a programmable thermostat? Those are pretty good numbers for a house that size, I think. Are you well insulated? How is your fiber intake...nevermind, wrong forum.

kmac30
25+ posts
08/18/08 09:42 AM

my house is about 2200 sq ft., but it's old (60 yrs). electric bills in summer are 290 (that's w/o extras, just electric). biggest gas bill this past winter was $162. we keep the house fairly cool in the winter. my house is pretty inefficient at this point. i've got two units and both are on programmable thermostats. if the house doesn't have them, they're super easy to install.

as for closing vents, i've been told countless times not to do that. i had the insulation and duct work in this house redone last summer and they told me closing ducts can mess with air flow and actually make it more inefficient.

zzzz
10,000+ posts
08/18/08 11:08 AM

In reply to:

I thought the reason everyone liked gas heating was the lower cost in winter vs. electric heating.

Natural gas used to be cheaper, but prices have been trending upward:

[img]http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/brochure/oil_gas/rngp/images/figure1_NAG.png[/img]

In reply to:

The high prices were driven by market conditions that included weak natural gas production despite increased drilling levels, colder-than-normal weather for long periods during some heating seasons, production disruptions from hurricane activity in the Gulf of Mexico, fluctuating net import levels, and record high crude oil prices.The Link

It likely still is cheaper (you'll need to plug in the current rates):
In reply to:

A furnace with a seasonal heating efficiency of 80% will use 12.5 therms to produce the million BTUs. "Therms" are the unit of measurement that utilities companies use for natural gas consumption. One "therm" = 100,000 BTU's. For the sake of argument we'll say that 1 therm costs $1.50 (a pretty accurate figure by the way). So, at a cost of $1.50 per therm, heating with gas would cost $18.75 (12.5 therms x $1.50).

An electric heater would consume 293 kilowatt hours to produce the million BTUs. At a cost of $0.11 per kWh (again, an accurate enough amount), that's $32.58.

So right of the bat, you can see that heating with electric is more expensive than natural gas. And, that's usually the case since a lot of electric is generated by burning natural gas.The Link

The point about much of our electrical power being generated by burning natural gas is a good one to keep in mind. It used to be - might still be -- that the price of electricity in Texas was officially pegged to the price of natural gas.

wolfman
2500+ posts
08/18/08 03:25 PM

Those numbers are probably in a range of possibility. There are several factors that will vary though like how well insulated the house is and how wisely they use energy. I have a 2000 sq foot house in the D/FW area that is gas/elec and at peak times in the summer I spend roughtly $30 gas/$200 elec. In the winter peak times are more like $180 gas/$65 elec.

I know that you used to be able to call the utility company and they would tell you an average yearly cost for any address. I did that when I bought my place, but who knows what electric company this guy may have since everything deregulated. You may want to try calling the one that used to have your community. In Dallas area it is TXU.

Schlieffen Plan
25+ posts
08/18/08 08:45 PM

For a 2100 square foot house built in 2003 hottest electric gas is like 300/35 and coldest is like 80/80. I own several sweaters.

Bookman
10,000+ posts
08/19/08 05:42 PM

My electricity bill's about $70 a month.

Hey there Ma and Pa here I am,
Money's running out all the same,
I just close my eyes and bring it on home again.

bevo_daddy
1000+ posts
08/19/08 05:46 PM

My electricity bill was $525 last month and $487 this month. I am truly at a loss how it gets that high.

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
08/19/08 10:15 PM

Close your windows and find another pet besides Penguins.

zzzz
10,000+ posts
08/20/08 01:31 AM

By "energy efficient AC" you mean a system and not a unit, right? If you have a two-story home and multiple units you might save some money by waiting until late in the day to run the upstairs AC.

l00pModerator
10,000+ posts
08/20/08 02:58 AM

I use units and have timers on them. I also have it on "energy saver" mode most days. At night when sleeping I have only the bedroom unit on and turn the others on standby. They turn on about two hours before I wake up when it is not yet hot so they don't have to work too hard to cool the rooms down. This helps out a lot as all are energy star.

My house is small enough that a standard system would be counter productive and much more costly. I may do the mini-duct system in the future. But for now I save a good amount of money and have a very comforable climate to live in. Ceiling fans are a major help in this.

I strongly suggest properly placed and sized ceiling fans for everybody.

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy