Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Horn Depot

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
ballrific
2500+ posts
06/29/09 04:12 PM
how difficult to "move" ceiling fan?

previous owners, for some reason, stuck the ceiling fan right in the middle of bedroom so bed is not under it. Need to move it but wondering how hard other than running the electrical wire and filling in large hole...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

LITNIN HORNSponsor
1000+ posts
06/29/09 05:08 PM
Re: how difficult to "move" ceiling fan? [re: ballrific]

It needs to be properly braced with UL listed outlet box, or a standard outlet box mounted directly to structure with fan supported by the structure...not the outlet box.

Assuming you have attic space, none of this should be too difficult...if not, you will have to tear up and repair a large chunk of ceiling.

"Young ranks somewhere between William Travis and Willie Nelson."
-Gary Shelton, St. Petersburg Times

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

JohnnyM
5000+ posts
06/29/09 06:20 PM

In reply to:

previous owners, for some reason, stuck the ceiling fan right in the middle of bedroom so bed is not under it.

am i reading this right? are you really asking why they put it in the middle of the room and not over the spot where your bed now is? i don't know if i've ever seen a room where a fan is NOT in the middle. isn't that the best in terms of airflow?

LITNIN HORNSponsor
1000+ posts
06/29/09 10:49 PM

Middle of room would be best for airflow for the whole room, but in a bedroom, where you may want more concentration over the bed, it makes sense to center the fan over the foot of the bed.

ballrific
2500+ posts
06/29/09 11:35 PM

yeah, for a small, square room I agree, middle of room is ideal. I failed to mention our bedroom is a rectangle and our bed had to go against the wall on one of the smaller walls, if that makes sense. Hence, fan is a few feet past feet, can't even feel it. Like someone said earlier, fan at your feet is what im used to.

BigWill
10,000+ posts
06/30/09 12:06 AM

Home Depot sells a device that you insert through a small hole in the ceiling. You twist it and it expands to dig little spike claw dealies into the ceiling joists. Once that's tightened, you attach the box, run the wire, etc.

Here's the rub. You can't just drywall patch the hole. You need to install a blank plate, which will always be visable. Why? Because this will now be a "junction", a wire connection point. If a wire nut ever loosens up, you are [censored].

BigWill
10,000+ posts
06/30/09 12:34 AM

here's the thingy...not sure if this is the brand that HD sells, but it is similar The Link

Luke Duke
2500+ posts
06/30/09 07:58 AM

Are you sure that your fan isn't on reverse?

"Also, no big deal about the two decades younger. I'm Texas." -LonghornsWin

accuratehornSponsor
5000+ posts
06/30/09 08:45 AM

More difficult than moving the bed under the fan.

Knowledge is good

ballrific
2500+ posts
06/30/09 10:38 AM

not on reverse and i dont think we want to move the bed to the center of the room but we might if this is tough to do.

from someone who can't sleep without being cool, imagine having your fan about 5 ft past the foot of your bed. yeah, your feet kind of feel it, but that's about it.

bevosayshi
1000+ posts
06/30/09 01:33 PM

Sleep naked and with sheets only...problem solved.

brntorng
2500+ posts
06/30/09 04:39 PM

Try running the fan in reverse. It should create a better air flow along the bed from head to toe.

Perham1
2500+ posts
07/01/09 01:33 PM
Re: how difficult to "move" ceiling fan? [re: accuratehorn]

In reply to:

More difficult than moving the bed under the fan.

Now that's some Mark Twain/Groucho Marx like advice.

I was also wondering - what if the former occupant/future occupant wants to place the bed in a different spot (or is the room configured so that the bed can only go in one place)?

The middle of the room is where most fans go. I don't think I've seen a ceiling fan that wasn't placed in the middle.

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. Oscar Wilde

LITNIN HORNSponsor
1000+ posts
07/01/09 06:56 PM

"i don't know if i've ever seen a room where a fan is NOT in the middle."
"I don't think I've seen a ceiling fan that wasn't placed in the middle."

Y'all hang out in too many spec houses.

shorty
500+ posts
07/02/09 08:48 AM

My experience with ceiling fans is you get very little direct air on you if you are directly under the fan. You can feel more of a breeze away from the fan.

If it is a small bedroom, the fan may be too big. The only area where you would feel the breeze in a small bedroom with a large fan would be the up the walls.

JohnnyM
5000+ posts
07/02/09 09:09 AM

I have another ceiling fan question and didn't want to start a new thread....

I have a fan with a light. I want them to be on a dimmer. However, the separate wires were not pulled to the switch box.

1. How hard is it to fix the wiring issue? Can I tape two wires to the one and pull it through?

2. If I bought a fan that runs via remote control, this issue is moot correct (unless I wanted a dimmer on the wall as well)?

How about the cost of re-wire vs the remote-controlled-fan? We want to replace all the fans in the house anyway, so we're already looking to buy new fans. But if it's going to be a [censored] to re-wire we may just opt for remote fans.

Summerof79
2500+ posts
07/02/09 11:20 AM
Re: how difficult to [re: ballrific]

1) so you have acess to the attic above your bedroom? If so you can do all the work from the attic side,

2) If the room is a larger rectangle I might consider putting in TWO fans so the room is "balanced" astetically. You could probably run both fans off the existing box.

3) How large is your current fan? You may have a 48 inch fan that you could move up to a 52 or even a 60 inch fan. This woudl obviously be the easiest fix. The larger blades should move enough extra air to effect the bed area more.

4) Install this 74 inch twin spinner-

Longhorn Catholic- "Summer - are you saying Jesus............I mean Obama, used his teleprompter or not? "

ballrific
2500+ posts
07/02/09 11:33 AM

I think that twin spinner would be perfect! they have those at lowes/HD? seriously, I could just replace it. hmmm...

LITNIN HORNSponsor
1000+ posts
07/02/09 12:29 PM
Re: how difficult to [re: ballrific]

ballrific...I've never seen that fan at Lowe's or HD, though I haven't shopped either for fans in a while. Also, the ones I have seen like that are in the $500.00 to $1000.00 range. Companies are proud of their quirkiness. They are neat, though.

JohnnyM...If you have attic space, you could fish another wire into the switch box, but using the existing wire as a pull wire is probably not an option since they are required to be stapled in place, by code. Personally, I would go the 'remote' route. There are several ways you can do this...buy a fan that is already equipped with the controls, buy a retrofit kit for your existing fan, which has a remote control, or buy a kit that has the 'remote' built into a wall switch, with all of the controls...this would take the place of your existing switch. For both of the retros, you will have to open the canopy of the ceiling fan and wire in a receiver...instructions are usually clear enough. I have the wall control 'remotes' in all rooms of my house except the family room and the master bedroom. One thing you need to be aware of, when you install multiple remote controls, wall or handheld, is there are dip switches that need to be matched up from remote to receiver. They are matched up in the package, but if you don't reset them, your control in the master may affect the fan in another room...on and on...so each fan needs a different code.

RogerSponsor
2500+ posts
07/02/09 01:18 PM

In reply to:

Personally, I would go the 'remote' route. There are several ways you can do this...buy a fan that is already equipped with the controls, buy a retrofit kit for your existing fan, which has a remote control, or buy a kit that has the 'remote' built into a wall switch, with all of the controls...this would take the place of your existing switch. For both of the retros, you will have to open the canopy of the ceiling fan and wire in a receiver...instructions are usually clear enough. I have the wall control 'remotes' in all rooms of my house except the family room and the master bedroom. One thing you need to be aware of, when you install multiple remote controls, wall or handheld, is there are dip switches that need to be matched up from remote to receiver. They are matched up in the package, but if you don't reset them, your control in the master may affect the fan in another room...on and on...so each fan needs a different code.

I've gotten pretty decent at changing fans and light fixtures, as well as knowing what I can't do and have a list of things when I get time to hire an electrician. what was said above is the truth, from personal experience trying to add the dimmer yourself will cost you more in the long run, because you will end up with an electrician at the house. Even if you plan on hiring an electrician the cheaper route will be to replace the fans with pre-wired remotes. I'm about to do this myself in my living room.

Another potential option is to just replace the lights on your fans. You can get lights that aren't on dimmers but have multiple settings via a pull cord. If you are looking to use CFL bulb this might be your best option as I haven't found a good CFL that takes dimmers well (and yes this includes bulbs specifically designed for dimmers).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy