Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
That's Right
500+ posts
09/14/08 04:01 AM
Best High School football game you've seen

Just wanted to see what the best HS football game some of you ever attended is. I've been to a decent amount of football games and seen some great ones. Almost every Pflugerville/Leander game was a classic, P-Ville/Klein Forest in '03, all the P-ville Waco games, P-Ville/Abilene in the state semi's last year at Texas Stadium was extremely crazy, went to Ced Benson and Eric Winston and Huston Street's final game at DKR, plenty of great games, even more that I won't list. As a caveat, anyone who was in attendence for Plano east/Tyler John Tyler in '94 (and stayed until the end) automatically wins. However, my submission is for a Pflugerville/Westwood game in either 98 or 99 I believe. It was Westwood's Homecoming, and I don't remember anything from the entire game except for the very last play. I know there are a ton of WW alums on these boards so I'm sure some of you were there. Pflugerville was losing by 3 with a few seconds remaining and was lining up for what I would today assume was anywhere from a 45-55 yard FG. Westwood had a man playing deep just in case pflugerville tried a fake. They didn't. P-Ville instead kicked a very weak field goal which was then caught by the Westwood guy playing "safety", at about the 10 yard line. He catches and then, not realizing it's a live ball, pitches it backwards towards an official working the game, I'm assuming the back judge. Well the official moves out of the way, kinda backing up since it's a live ball. So this guy for WW picks up the ball and AGAIN pitches the ball backwards, this time intop the end zone. While all of this is going on Pflugerville RB Anthony Kreig (Baylor) is sprinting towards the end zone knowing it's a live ball. Some Warriors give pursuit, but Kreig dives on the ball in the end zone before any WW player could get to it. The refs talk it over for a few minutes before deciding TD Pflugerville. Crazy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

centexorange
500+ posts
09/14/08 04:23 AM
Re: Best High School football game you've seen [re: That's Right]

I guess mine would have been the Crawford vs Thorndale state championship game.. Wow a few years back can't remeber the exact year of that but it was played in Temple, Wildcat Stadium. Standing room only electric atmosphere and the game lived up to it. Even though the Pirates lost due to the skills of Thorndales QB..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

txfight84
25+ posts
09/14/08 06:11 AM

the best game ive ever seen in person, would probably be back in 2004 when Arlington's Grace Prep played Ft. Worth's Nolan Catholic. I went to GPA...Grace at the time was TAPPS 3A and Nolan was the defending 5A State Champion. It was a defensive battle for most of the game and with 2 minutes left in the 4th, Nolan held a 13-6 lead. Grace didnt have a kicker either as their starting kicker had ruptured his spleen the week before and it cost the Lions (Grace Prep) 2 missed FG's and a missed EP in this game. Grace drove almost the distance of the field in the last 2 minuetes and converted 4th down twice to tie that game at 13-13 (we made the XP). So the game went to OT, tied at 13 all. Nolan had the ball 1st and scored in 3 or 4 plays i think to make the score 20-13. Grace took over and converted a 4th and 7 from the 11 putting the ball at the 4 yard line. They failed to score on the next 3 played bringing up a 4th and goal from the 5. On that 4th down, Nolan sent a heavy rush, and just before taking the sack, the Lions QB found an open receiver in the end zone who made a diving catch for the TD to make it 21-20. Grace decided that without a reliable kicker, they would go for the win. They lined up in a goal line set and the QB snapped the ball, faked a handoff, and rolled out to the right. At first he didnt find anyone open so he headed for the pylon. Right as he got there, 2 Nolan defenders met him there. He dove for the pylon and barely knocked it over giving Grace Prep the 22-21 victory. Grace would go on to win its 2nd straight TAPPS 3A State Title that season...

TexLaw04
500+ posts
09/14/08 06:35 AM

Without a doubt, the best game I've ever seen was the Abilene Cooper-Odessa Permian game in 1992.

The scene was Ratliff Stadium, and Cooper's program was just beginning its resurgence under Randy Allen (now head coach at Highland Park). CHS was ranked #1 in the state at the time, and Permian, meanwhile, was clearly the old-school big dog in District 4-5A and a regular state title contender.

Cooper jumped out to a 17-0 lead, but that was cut to 17-14 by halftime. In the second half, Permian scored two TDs, then kicked a field goal midway through the 4th quarter to seemingly put the game out of reach at 31-17.

Cooper came back and scored a touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go to make it 31-24. They then recovered an awesome onside kick, and drove down the field for another TD to make it 31-30 with something like 17 seconds left in the game. Then it was decision time. There was no overtime in college or HS football then, so coach Allen was faced with the Tom-Osborne-1984-Orange-Bowl decision: win or tie? Allen went for the win. Mike Rose, the CHS running back who went on to OU, took the handoff but was stopped just short of the goal line. Permian won, but no one in Abilene blamed Allen for going for it.

CHS would face two more years of futility against Permian, and then would finally beat them (for the first time in 18 years) in 1995.

You can't take a pitch pipe out of a guy's hand when he's in the middle of a very funky groove.

BillyW
1000+ posts
09/14/08 07:09 AM

Cant remember the year, but it was probably late 70'a or early 80's there was playoff game between Gladewater and Dangerfield in Rose stadium in Tyler that was classic. I am not a follower of either school and didnt care who won but still found myself jumping up and down and hugging people I didnt know at the end

Horns11Sponsor
2500+ posts
09/14/08 07:25 AM

Easily the Plano East/John Tyler game at Texas Stadium in the 1994 playoffs. The way that Tyler dominated the first 42 minutes of playing time, and the way PESH came back, and how they blew it on the last second kickoff. Crazy go nuts.

Olehornfan
100+ posts
09/14/08 07:29 AM

For those of us who were there, it was breathtaking. It's long been said that the 1963 San Antonio Lee-San Antonio Brackenridge bi-district football game was the greatest high school game ever played in Texas. Lee's Linus Baer, who went on to play at the University of Texas, and Brackenridge's Warren McVea, who starred at the University of Houston and won a Super Bowl ring with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Baer and McVea were the two best running backs in the state, perhaps the nation.
Each team was undefeated. They were ranked No. 1 and No. 2. And the game was epic, witnessed by nearly 25,000 fans at San Antonio's Alamo Stadium.
The game was played just days after President John F. Kennedy was assasinated. Both running backs were brilliant, with McVea rushing for more than 200 yards in the game.
Ultimately, Lee won the game 55-48 on a last-second touchdown. There were lots of kickoffs in this game, but with one exception, there were no traditional (long, in-the-air) kickoffs for fear of a runback by the other team's star. The one time Lee made a "normal" kickoff, McVea ran it back for a TD.
Brackenridge pulled a surprise by starting McVea at QB (his normal position was running back) in order to maximize his touches. Great move on their part. I don't remember if each team scored on every possession, but it was awfully close to that so that, for most of the game, the score was either tied or one or the other was ahead by a single TD. Finally, toward the end of the game, Lee scored to tie, was able to stop Brackenridge on their next possession on a dropped fourth down pass (maybe the only time all night that they did that), and scored again to win the game. My stomach is churning as I think about that game again.

I went to most of Brack's games that year and there was one game were Mc Vea was not tackled. I believe he scored five touchdowns and did not play the rest of the game.

Warren McVea was the greatest running back I ever saw in high school, yes even better than Earl. If the shifty McVea played today he would be the top recruit in the nation." I'd go further than that and say that if you measure greatness in terms of how the player stacks up against the competition at his own level McVea stood out from his peers more strikingly than any athlete I've ever seen in any sport at any level

hot_c_win_horns
100+ posts
09/14/08 07:42 AM

2000 Pville vs Round Rock McNeil....Final game of the regular season, both teams were undefeated. The game lived up to the billing as Pville scored with under 1:00 minute remaining. everyone expected the game to go to overtime. All state McNeil linebacker Justin Crooks' (Baylor) went down with a sprained ankle and his backup missed an easy tackle in the backfield and the pville running back took it to the house with only seconds remaining. Heart breaker for McNeil! Best high school game I have ever seen!

Knoxville-Horn
2500+ posts
09/14/08 07:46 AM

My alma mater, Garland, was playing one of the Mesquite schools a few years ago when both were ranked Top 5 in the area. Overflow crowd. Game went back and forth.

If memory serves, the game went into overtime. Garland scores a TD but misses XP. Mesquite scores TD and lines up for the win. Garland blocks it and returns it for 2 pts. Never seen a crowd go nuts like that...

Also, first Garland game I ever saw as I had just moved to district as a Soph. We were terrible. Playing an equally terrible WT White team. 0-0 late in the game. WT White drives down to about the 5 yard-line with 2 seconds left. Garland blocks winning FG attempt and runs it back for a TD as time runs out.

George Bluth Sr.: Michael. You've got to get me out of here.
Michael: I thought you wanted to be here instead of prison.
George Bluth Sr.: No. In prison, you have to close your eyes and take it. Here, you have to close your eyes and give it.

I35
1000+ posts
09/14/08 07:54 AM

AAA district championship game #1 Breckenridge vs #2 Stamford

A back and forth game that ended 28 to 23 Stamford.

( I think) 1992

AAA playoff game in Bedford Texas #1 South Lake Carroll vs #2 Vernon. This was back when SLC was doninating the class AAA games. But they ran across the #2 team that was just as good. It went back and forth and SLC with less than 2minutes took the lead. Vernon drove the ball to midfield before connecting on a pass that took the ball to the inch yard line. With just seconds left Vernon tried to take it in for the score and winning TD but the RB fumbled the ball into the enzone and SLC recovered it as time expired.

A few years back the Dallas Morning News ranked that game the second best HS game in Texas history.

Edited by I35 (09/14/08 07:55 AM)

El Sapo
1000+ posts
09/14/08 08:20 AM

Great Thread.

For me, it was when Austin High beat Westlake a couple of years back for the first time in... a long time. Very exciting game.

Industry

Officer_Cartman
250+ posts
09/14/08 08:39 AM

2001 Houston Madison vs. North Shore, 3rd round of the playoffs. The Madison Vince Youngs won 61-58.

salonghorn-70
1000+ posts
09/14/08 09:00 AM

The 1963 Brackenridge vs. Robert E. Lee playoff game. Warren McVey vs Linus Baer.

NB_LONGHORN
500+ posts
09/14/08 09:13 AM

Alamo Heights 33 New Braunfels 31

Colder than hell that night with most of the points coming in the 4th quarter of the game. Unfortunately my beloved Unicorns fell short that night.

Another NB game

NB 19 Kerrville 18

New Braunfels scores in the last minute to beat the Antlers in Kerrville for the fist time in 2 years.

One of the good things about my relocation.

topwater
250+ posts
09/14/08 09:22 AM

Lee/Brack '63. end of discussion. btw, i ran into linus last week. i'm always amazed each time i see him just how unassuming he looks. 4 sport star at lee and a great guy

bobekteam
250+ posts
09/14/08 09:43 AM

The Woodlands vs Tyler Lee
2003 Region II Finals @ Texas Stadium
The Woodlands won in double over time. It was by far the best game I've ever seen!

breakfast_taco
500+ posts
09/14/08 09:45 AM

2001 Semifinal - Westlake 48 - Houston Madison 42.

In the last year of the Astrodome, Vince Young vs Chad Schroeder. Something like 1200 yards of total offense combined from both teams. Westlake jumps out to a 2 touchdown lead, then its back-and-forth. Vince and Madison will score a TD in 2-3 plays. Then, Westlake methodically marches down in 7-9 plays and scores. Two plays later, Madison scores. And, so on.

ut1969
25+ posts
09/14/08 09:48 AM

The game itself was a little sloppy but the Bremond-Wink championship game in 1981 had one of the greatest finishes of all time. Bremond got the ball with 1:21 left in the game on it's on 20 was down 9-6. A cold front had blown through that day and the wind was blowing 20-25 mph in San Angelo. On the drive into the wind, Bremond completed one pass for 40 yards that bounced off two different players. The final play of the game came down to 4th down and 12 from the 25 yard line. We had a left handed sophmore who was the 2nd baseman on the previous year's state baseball champion playing quarterback on this drive. He hit his older brother in stride as he split the two safeties on the goal line for the championship. If this had been a 5A game, it would have been ranked up there for greatest finishes of a state championship game. The most ironic thing about the game was that Wink had just been featured in Texas Monthly about their football team and town. Guess they featured the wrong team.

Horn@AC
250+ posts
09/14/08 10:40 AM

I remember that P-Ville WW game, it was before I got to WW but I can remember talking about that the next week. That was wild.

tangouniform
100+ posts
09/14/08 10:55 AM

Coppell-Southlake 1999.

We needed a goal line stand in the last minute to beat Southlake on their home field. Our win snapped their 30-something year playoff streak. Their players, parents, coaches were in tears since going to the playoffs was just something everything expected at Southlake. Being 18 at the time, their tears put a smile on my face. Being 26 now, they still do.

DrRad
25+ posts
09/14/08 11:02 AM

I'm old. HPSlugga may appreciate this. I was there in 1957 when Highland Park stopped Abilene High's 49-game winning streak winning on penetrations (score tied 20-20) in the state semis. Jack Collins, all stste, went to Texas, but a knee inj ended his career. Four players went to Colorado. One of those I believe was the same Reed Johnson that worked for the Broncos for a number of years.

KazooMan
500+ posts
09/14/08 12:54 PM

1. Lee - Brack '63 Nothing else comes close.

2. Austin Reagan / Abilene Cooper, state championship, 1967
One of the biggest upsets in Texas High School football history, and featuring many future college stars - Ray Dowdy, Jack Mildren, etc. Cooper was already a dominent program, and Reagan the upstart newcomer - and the newcomer won with a last minute goal line stand (Jack always said he scored, but I believed Dowdy's version more - that he stayed on top of Jack, short of the goal line, until time ran out).

3. Ced vs. Westlake - one guy CAN beat a good team, if he is good enough.

Hpslugga
10,000+ posts
09/14/08 09:07 PM

In reply to:

I'm old. HPSlugga may appreciate this. I was there in 1957 when Highland Park stopped Abilene High's 49-game winning streak winning on penetrations (score tied 20-20) in the state semis

That game, unfortunately, stood as the most significant victory in Highland Park history for 46 years until we beat the 3rd nationally ranked Ennis Lions in the 3rd round of the playoffs.

Ennis came into the game 12-0 and they had a total team package. Of course everyone knew about the sick offense with Harrell leading the way with a receiving corps (Anthony Jenkins, Jarvis Woodson, Andrew Novak, Miles Tenney) just about as sick as the 2001 version (Broderic Jones, Vincent Marshall, sophomore Jarvis Woodson, Joey Martinez), but they also had a defense that was just as dominant.

People drooled over Ennis' offense, and rightfully so because they were averaging 56 points per game and had broken the 60-point barrier 5 times, but they also came into that same game giving up 8 points per game. Up until the game with us, they had outscored their opponents 671-95 and pitched 5 shutouts (including 4 in a row during weeks 3 and 6 of the regular season). Matthew Stafford was merely a 15-year old sophomore during that game, but he went 26/36 for 405 yards, 3 TD's and no picks to lead the improbable 38-28 upset over the top state ranked Lions.

But that wasn't the best game I ever saw. Oddly enough, however, the best game I ever saw was between those 2 teams in that same stadium. It was in 2001, my junior year. Ennis was 13-0 and ranked 1st in the state (as they should have been since they were the defending state champs), we were 12-1 and ranked 3rd in the state (behind Denton Ryan, who was in the other bracket).

In that week, our coaches toyed with the idea of starting me on the kickoff unit to use the sky/pooch kick in order to keep the ball out of the hands of Jones and Marshall. By Wednesday of that week, they decided to start me with that strategy. However when the opening kickoff time arrived, our ST coach inexplicably went back on this strategy and used our starter, Ryan Wolcott, to kick it deep. He kicked it to Jones and he returned it 96 yards for a TD, so I played the rest of the game and my cover unit kicked ass (average return of 5 yards).

We jumped to a 38-24 lead with about 6 minutes to play in the game, but our defense broke down and Ennis scored 21 unanswered points in about 5 minutes and we lost 45-38. Empirically, it was the state title game because Ennis went on to bulldoze Southlake Carroll (and amazingly, SLC has only lost 3 games since then) and Bay City for their 2nd state title in 2 years.

The Run-and-Shoot has landed in the Park Cities.

Edited by Hpslugga (09/15/08 08:17 AM)

Doughbroz
250+ posts
09/14/08 10:29 PM

Not sure of the year, I think 1990, Schulenburg vs. Groveton in the 'Dome for the 2A title. Groveton's Rodney Thomas ran wild, Schulenburg's Marc Tidwell passed for a ton. Groveton won something like 35-31, with Schulenburg throwing an int in the end zone at the very end, supposedly 'cause the receiver turned the wrong way. Overheard reporters after the game saying it was one of the best they had ever seen. Schulenburg won the title the next two years.

I have only one fault; I am a pathological liar.

HornDig_It
25+ posts
09/14/08 11:17 PM

West Orange Stark CC Calallen 2001 at Astrodome. WO-S just can't stop the power running attack of Callalen but answer touchdown for touchdown and took a badass play to beat them

Squall
1000+ posts
09/14/08 11:38 PM

abilene cooper lake highlands

1996 methinks

That's Right
500+ posts
09/15/08 12:02 AM

In reply to:

1. Lee - Brack '63 Nothing else comes close.

So which is it, Hornfans? This game, or Plano East/TJT from 94?

longtex
25+ posts
09/15/08 01:59 AM
Re: Best High School football game you've seen [re: Olehornfan]

In reply to:

1963 San Antonio Lee-San Antonio Brackenridge

Well, hell - you beat me to it.

My roomie was from Lee, but he'd already dragged me to see Warren McVea once that fall... I don't even remember who they played, but I sure was impressed. I swear that little *&@#$ changed directions faster than any human I ever saw in my life - his foot was more like a hoof... his shoe size I think was an 8EEE, pretty close to square. I reckon he could've run down antelope if he'd had a mind to.

That Lee-Brack game, though, man! That was pretty amazing stuff. I think Lee kicked off onside to START the game, recovered it, and stuffed it down their throat. They mighta done it twice... but I do remember that when they did finally go to a traditional kickoff, McVea ran it back for a TD.

What a game that was. Baer was hot, alright, but McVea was unbelievable.

Like a lot of folks, I was sure disappointed that Darrell didn't recruit McVea, but I guess he just wasn't ready to integrate... well, at least Cougar High wasn't in the SWC yet. McVea did get to play in the Astrodome, in dirt on account of the famous TAMC Aggieculcher Skule's special indoor grass turned out to be - uhh - less that successful... but at least the plastic replacement "turf" took the name of the stadium all over the world.

"Don't talk to me about woulda-shoulda-coulda... what shoulda happened DID happen." -- Saint Darrell Royal, c. 1961

scharnell
1000+ posts
09/15/08 07:57 AM

Lewisville v. Aldine Mac. - 1994 State Championship Game.

The game was back and forth with each team thinking they had it locked up at least once. Aldine scored with about 3 minutes left and Lewisville marched down the field, with its Wishbone attack and scored with a few seconds left. Aldine returned the kick to about the 50 and the guy probably should have taken it all the way.

I believe the QB for Aldine was one, Odel James, who I thought started his career at Baylor.

"For some weird reason, some people just don't want to be an Aggie. " - onthewayposted 12:25a, 6/16/2005

CumberlandBlues
100+ posts
09/15/08 09:11 AM

Lake Highlands vs nacogdoches in 1992. 3rd round of playoffs. Phil Dawson hits a 52 yard FG as time expired, his second 50+ yard winning kick of the year.

34blast
< 25 posts
09/15/08 10:09 AM

1993 5a state championship.
Lewisville 43 Aldine Macarthur 37

Lewisville comes back to win in last minute. McArthur almost runs back ensuing kickoff as time expires. Odell James as a sophmore played like a man, to bad he tore up his knee later on.

Booyakasha!
100+ posts
09/15/08 12:34 PM

#1. Lee VS Brack

Before my time, but the only game that I ROUTINELY hear associated with the greatest high school game of all time. Some of the articles I have read about this game are pretty amazing.

BoSquared
500+ posts
09/15/08 12:40 PM

1987 Class 5A State Quarter Finals Game between Arlington and Odessa Permian in Texas Stadium...

Arlington smacked Permian around for three quarters and led 35-7 when Mojo came back to tie it 35-35 in the 4th...

Arlington held Permian out of the end zone to finish the game and the penetrations were tied at five apiece...The refs had to go to first downs and I think Mojo had a 22 to 21 edge there and won it...

Unbelieveble football game....

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."
Pete Edward Rose

ElJefe
100+ posts
09/15/08 02:46 PM

In reply to:

abilene cooper lake highlands

I played in that game

Markstanco
500+ posts
09/15/08 10:56 PM

Allsome thread.
it was either 82 or 83, the state championship run by Daingerfield. I think they had less than 10 points scored on them ALL YEAR. Maybe somebody could confirm that.

I was from Atlanta and followed them around that year until the end. Total domination to the point where it cant be explained.

I dont know how that kind of season could ever be trumped.

COmountainhorn
25+ posts
09/15/08 11:20 PM

Plano 29 Highland Park 28, 1977 Quarterfinal

The 1977 quarterfinal between Highland Park & Plano, two of the most storied programs in the state's history in one of, if not THE greatest comeback in TX playoff history. HP led 28-0 late in the third quarter, but Plano came back to win it 29-28 on a 60 yard pass with 33 seconds left, followed by the 2 pt conversion. Plano went on to win the 4A state championship over Port Neches-Groves in a game that also established the all-time attendance record. Hard to beat that game and you'll find it on every list of the best!

givemhelSponsor
250+ posts
09/15/08 11:57 PM

Lee-Brack was in a class by itself. I wasn't at the stadium, but the game was so big it was broadcast on local tv. I've actually got a copy of the game (coach's game film) on vhs tape. I really should transfer it to dvd...

p_town_horn
500+ posts
09/16/08 12:43 AM

To answer the above question, Plano East Tyler John Tyler is the winner.

Down 45-17 with 2:42 left in the game. Plano East kicks and recovers and scores on-side kick after on-side kick. They take the lead with seconds remaining when they finally kick it deep. Tyler john Tyler runs the kick off back for the game winning touchdown with no time left on the clock to spoil the upset bid.

REDICULOUS!!!

BigEarlinBastrop
250+ posts
09/17/08 04:00 PM

blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2007/08/the_greatest_hi.html

In reply to:

The greatest high school football game. Ever.

The greatest high school football game. Ever.
It's long been said that the 1963 San Antonio Lee-San Antonio Brackenridge bi-district football game was the greatest high school game ever played in Texas.

Several years ago, I did a story recapping the game and the most significant players -- Lee's Linus Baer, who went on to play at the University of Texas, and Brackenridge's Warren McVea, who starred at the University of Houston and won a Super Bowl ring with the Kansas City Chiefs.

After researching the game and its significance, I was sold. It was a wild one with high stakes.

Best.

Ever.

Baer and McVea were the two best running backs in the state, perhaps the nation.

Each team was undefeated. They were ranked No. 1 and No. 2. And the game was epic, witnessed by nearly 25,000 fans at San Antonio's Alamo Stadium (where, by the way, a certain defensive end/offensive tackle later played for San Antonio Edison in the late-1970s). Golden Bears!

But I digress.

The game was played just days after President John F. Kennedy was assasinated. Both running backs were brilliant, with McVea rushing for more than 200 yards in the game.

Ultimately, Lee won the game 55-48 on a last-second touchdown. The winning touchdown was not scored by Baer, but fullback Larry Townsend, who years later was one of my coaches at Edison. Great guy, great player.

Still, the more I watch this video of the 1994 Plano East-John Tyler game, the more it seems no game could possibly match the ebb and flow -- and stunning turn of events at the very end -- and all in the final 2:40 of what was a 24-point lead.

All you need to know is one announcer apparently had stuff coming out of just about every orifice, he was so excited.

"I done wet my britches."

"I'm about to throw up."

Etc.

I'll still give Lee-Brackenridge because of so much on the line and the caliber of the two star players. But Plano East-John Tyler has got to be a very, very close second.

But let's localize this thing, because for all the high school football games I've seen, it's difficult to pinpoint the single greatest high school football game in Houston's history.

Any thoughts? And I need details.

shorty
500+ posts
09/18/08 07:10 AM

Our local team has given us many memorable games in the playoffs. However, the 2007 rivalry Battle of the Ax game is one of the best high school games I have seen.

Late in the 3rd quarter Denison faced a 19 point deficit. They started their comeback and the rest is history. Even better news is a large majority of the players on the Jacket team were sophomores last year.
The Link

You have to love high school rivalry games. This rivalry has now been documented back to 1901 with 110 documented games played.

The Southlake/Abilene High school game in Texas stadium where AHS almost came back to win was an awesome game too.

South Austin
1000+ posts
09/18/08 07:19 AM

Ridgemont v. Lincoln. Charles Jefferson tore it up that night.

snow leopard27
25+ posts
09/18/08 07:47 AM

My dad took me to the '77 HP-Plano game when I was 11. I remember the long Plano TD pass at the end and them taking a time out to discuss going for 2. Seemed like that TO lasted about 30 minutes.

HP had a big comeback against Plano 2 or 3 years later, only to get mauled by Permian in the semis.

HP-Conroe in "85 was a great game also.

HP Slugga, please correct me if my memory is not accurate; I don't swear by it anymore

Hpslugga
10,000+ posts
09/18/08 08:12 AM
Re: Best High School football game you've seen [re: snow leopard27]

I couldn't tell you much about any of those games because I wasn't alive for the first 2 and was only a few months old for the Conroe game (which was actually in 1984, not 85. Final score was HP 17 Conroe 16). The Plano rematch you refer to was in 1980 (23-21) and the Permian game was lost by a score of 21-3.

The Run-and-Shoot has landed in the Park Cities.

snow leopard27
25+ posts
09/18/08 08:27 AM

You're right about the Conroe game; I was thinking class of '85, but that actually would have been fall of '84.

I remember HP had to make a final drive to win, and converted on a 3rd & 13 and a 4th & 4.

LoneStarSpur
25+ posts
09/18/08 09:06 AM

Judson vs. Midland in the 2002 title game.

Midland scores with seconds left to take the lead. Their kids were so excited and celebrating already. Somehow the Midland DC leaves 1 on 1 coverage on the outside and the Judson receiver gets behind him for a long TD pass.

Even though my two kids graduated from Judson, I felt really bad for the Midland kids. I'm not sure that all of them even saw the Judson TD.

Judson really had no business being in the game; they had hung on for dear life the entire way. Fantastic finish to a great game.

DallasCowpoke
1000+ posts
09/18/08 05:41 PM
Re: Best High School football game you've seen [re: COmountainhorn]

In reply to:

Plano 29 Highland Park 28, 1977 Quarterfinal The 1977 quarterfinal between Highland Park & Plano,/quote]

I was waiting for someone to mention this 1.

I'm a 78 HP grad and played mike-LB.

I get together with 3-4 of my teammates from that period about every 3rd month and talk about those "Glory Day".

We rarely mention that game. It still haunts us.

I saw Rockwall vs Hooks in a state semi around 74-75. It wasn't that outstanding a game, as ranked here. But I did see some kid named Billy Sims run wild for like 20gazilion yards.

After the lose to Texass I have heard some things come out of "soonerfans" mouths that embarrase me and its embarssing to be a sooner fan when 90% of our fans are ****ing morans.
-From soonerfans.com 10/15/06

Statalyzer
10,000+ posts
09/18/08 05:53 PM

For a bit I thought you were saying the final score was 74-75.

In reply to:

Its not about wins and loses, if it was we wouldnt be t.u.'s rival...

~Texags.com poster

coolhorn
1000+ posts
09/18/08 07:01 PM

1988 AAA championship game, at HEB field up in the Fort Worth area. Mexia versus Vernon. Vernon jumped all over Mexia for three quarters, with a healthy lead going into the fourth quarter. It was a bitterly cold day, and Mexia's best running back was playing with a taped down shoulder. Somehow, he broke a long touchdown run to start the fourth quarter, the Blackcats went for two, got 'em, recovered a fumble just moments later, (one of Vernon's very few mistakes.) and went in for a touchdown and PAT that gave Mexia a 22-21 lead. Vernon drove deep into Mexia territory, but for one of the few times, the 'Cat defense held, and Mexia won the championship by a point, after trailing by about fifteen going into the fourth quarter. It took me two days and some very good Tex-Mex to warm up.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Lost_In_Ohio
25+ posts
09/18/08 07:19 PM

Any St. Xavier vs. Colerain game the past five years. Were talking OHIO high school football here y'all. Both teams have won state the past couple of years and they have to go through each other to represent southwestern Ohio. Have both been ranked in nation's top ten consistently.

No game jumps out becasue there all so good. 19-12, 21-18, 14-12 etc.

That's Right
500+ posts
09/18/08 08:49 PM

You emphasize OHIO like we should be impressed....

anhyzer
250+ posts
09/18/08 08:50 PM

Is it a bigger heartbreak to lose a game on the last play -- or to "lose" the chance to advance to the state semis on the 3rd tiebreak?

"Only Ags care about A&M, everyone else ignores us."
-- motis, on TexAgs

Lost_In_Ohio
25+ posts
09/18/08 10:05 PM

haha you should be. Ohio and Texas easily have the BEST hs football in the nation. We didnt rep very well this year in Herbstreit but it's becasue we had [censored] teams like my own, who got destroyed against Cedar Hill in Texas Stadium.

orangecat
500+ posts
09/18/08 11:36 PM

I was in the band in high school for a school that never even sniffed the playoffs, so I vote for a rivalry game. In my sophomore year of college, my roommate and I had a good friendly rivalry going. He graduated from Westwood and I from Round Rock.

He suggested going to the game, so we went, this was in 1984. Round Rock was the big underdog. That was the most entertaining first half ever! Tied 31-31 at half and my alma mater went on win 41-31.

Speaking of Round Rock, it was so funny during our first year. My Freshman year coincided with the first or 2nd year in the move up to what is now 5A. We were in the district with the big boys, Temple, Killeen, a couple of Waco schools and Bryan.

I wish I had some video of the crazy highlights, both football and in the stands type of stuff. There was the strange sight of visiting one of the Waco schools I think, or maybe even Bryan, and the band marching military style 6-5, trying to be a JV TAMU I guess.

And then there was our first game against Temple or Killleen? (the John Walker team) We were the visitors, and I told somebody on the bus I would consider it a victory for us if we scored.

John Walker was the star running back for that team, and I know he played almost all of the first quarter, probably touched the ball 7 to 8 times in the quarter, scored 3 times in the quarter like our guys weren't even on the field. They could have put up 80-90 points pretty easy. I think we did score, and the final was something like 48-6.

And then there were the strange home games. When Temple would visit, there would be more fans on the visitors side than the home side!

One last one at home, when Copperas Cove visited. We always played the theme from Patton to open the game. The football players supposedly loved it, said it fired them up. Well Copperas Cove, perennial 1-9 team, fields the kickoff and runs it back for a touchdown while we're still playing Patton!

And then maybe the strangest trip of all was when we traveled to Dallas to play North Dallas High School. (Kind of curious if that high school even exists anymore)

Anyway, so they get ready to play the National Anthem and their band stands there and one trumpet player plays the Anthem.

The fans that scream the loudest are sitting in the cheap seats

derilc1
25+ posts
09/19/08 07:59 AM

Early 90's at Texas Stadium. The day Shawn Walters met the Permian Panthers.

BRay2244
500+ posts
09/19/08 08:30 AM

For me personally , it was my schools state semifinal playoff game my sophomore year in November 1993. It was Galveston O'Connell vs. Fort Worth Christian for a trip to the Tapps 3A State championship game. We played on a very cold and windy night in Caldwell ,Tx. I will never forget the opening kick . I was on the front line on our recieving team, and I had been kicked to before on an onside kick and knew to fall on it, although there were times in the past I went for some fat-boy glory by picking it up and trying to run with it.

This particular kickoff was different...their kicker put it straight up in the air off the tee. The windy conditions swirled it around and it came straight down to me, although it seemed to take forever and it sort of floated. I don't know what went through my head at the time, but for some reason I treated it like a punt and backed away from it instead of pouncing on it. One of their players jumped on it and I knew instantly that I f'd up as their crowd went nuts. One of my fellow lineman knew that I was wanting to crawl into a hole and hide and told me he wasn't sure how to treat it either, since the only onsides we had ever seen never went straight up like a punt, they jusat hopped around on the ground. I was a combo of the nervousness of the big game and the lack of experience of dealing with a play like that.

Nonetheless, our defense stopped them for a 3 and out and they punted it to us and our O got the ball on the 13 yard line. Our all everything RB was Rodnick Phillips. Coach called a run for him on the left side (my side) between guard and tackle. We opened a crease for him and he was gone. 87 yards on our first play from scrimmage for 6 and it was on my side, I felt somewhat redeemed for my earlier brainfart. We had a pretty good kicker, but the wind pushed his extra point wide and we led 6-0. I remember me and all of our teammates thinking that we were going to run away with it. We thought that score was so easy, we were going to have no problems scoring.

This was the team who had knocked us out of the 1992 playoffs in the Quarterfinal so we wanted to take them out. We were wrong about the easy scoring. It was a constant 3 and out for both schools, mixed in with some turnovers through out the next three quarters.

Fast forward to the 4th quarter and starting middle LB had broken his arm on the previous defensive series. We had the ball and were on @ our own 35 yard line with about 3 or 4 minutes left. At this point it was a defensive game and a battle of field position, still 6-0 good guys. 4th down, we punt...our punter booms a high hanger that we down aroung their 15 yard line. Flag on the play, illegal formation...we line up to rekick. They sent an all out punt block and no one picks up their burner he blocks the punt, we hear the dreaded double thud and they end up with the ball inside our 10 yard line. With about 2 minutes to play they were down by 6 we knew what was coming. We had watched film on them all week leading up to this game, and they used what they called "jumbo" package, we called it the "cheesebuger" package. They took their biggest 2 boys, I believe it was their 2 starting tackles and lined them up in an "I" formation. Having the first cornfed as the lead blocking fullback to clear a hole and the 2nd fatboy woul get the ball and bring it between the guards. I was prepared to watch our defense win it or lose it from the sideline when our D coordinator yelled for me.

I hadn't played Defense all year except screwing around with it in 2-a-days before the season. Since our MLB was out they moved on of the DT's to MLB and needed some ass out there to defend their "cheeseburger" package. I was as nervous as it gets. I didn't even listen to the defensive captains calls in the huddle. I knew what was coming, and why I was in there...to create a pile and stop the mass of humanity from plowing into the end zone. They ran the same play downs 1-3. Straight up the gut, and set up a 4th and goal at the 1 and a half yard line. It was nut cutting time. They ran 4th down same as the other 3 downs straight up the middle. It was bonnet crashing and clawing, and we couldn't tell if he made it in. Seeming like a cliche' football movie in hindsight, we realized we were going to state when the pile was lifted off of fat boy and he was about 4 inches short of paydirt. We could not believe we were going to state and it was surreal for me.

I know this wouldn't come close to being some of your top HS games, but it was and is my lasting memory of making it to state, which by the way we got slaughtered the next week in Waco at Floyd Casey stadium. But it did however turn me from a Offensive Guard to a Defensive Tackle for my Junior and senior seasons, at which I was pretty successful and found a new love for playing defense after that game. Ahhh, good times.

dallasmg
First Time Poster
08/19/09 02:59 PM

Does anyone have any of these games on VHS or DVD? I am also looking for state championship games on DVD. You can email me @ mgarner@shepherdcontrols.com

rosevilleblock
250+ posts
08/19/09 03:30 PM

Hey Coolhorn, that Vernon vs Mexia game was in 1989, not in 88!

HornDawg1957
25+ posts
08/19/09 03:59 PM

Went to high school in the early '70s in San Antonio. Lee High School was our archrival.

In 1972, I saw Baytown Sterling beat Lee (with Tommy Kramer), 21-20, ending Kramer's high-school career.

Lee won the state title the previous year. The amazing thing about that state-title team is that unless I'm misremembering something, every possession in which the opponent scored against Lee that year, Lee came back to score on its next possession. Every time, in every game.

Lee was 13-0 coming into the game against Sterling. As I recall, Sterling dominated the game statistically, but they couldn't put Lee away throughout the game.

So, late in the 4th quarter, Lee scored with 1:19 left to make it 21-20, Sterling leading by 1, and Lee decided to go for two points. (I think they had to. If I remember correctly, there was no overtime in those days, and Sterling had more penetrations inside the 20 than Lee did, so they would've won the tiebreaker.)

On the two-point attempt, Kramer rolled to his left, and, just short of the goal line, got hit by somebody from Sterling and fumbled the ball. A Lee player recovered the ball in the end zone, but the officials ruled Kramer's knee had touched the ground before he fumbled--so no fumble, and a failure on the two-point conversion attempt. We were sitting on the opposite side of the field from where the play occurred, and with lots of players around the ball we didn't get a good look at whether it was a good call or not. Oh well.

Sterling went on to run out the clock for the win.

TexanneSponsor
10,000+ posts
08/19/09 03:59 PM

For me, it was Temple vs Permian, regular season, 1992. Temple won that game, 20-16, en route to a state championship.

The crowd in Wildcat Stadium was so enthusiastic -- everyone was jumping up and down and we broke our stadium.

I also remember that, at one point, the Permian QB lined up under his right guard. I bet that OLineman was surprised at the impromptu goosing.

Oklahoma: First they stole the land. Then they stole their colors from Harvard, their fight song from Yale, their players from Texas, and their state song from a Broadway play. -- Elgin Hot Sausage

overmaars
250+ posts
08/19/09 04:43 PM

Plano East/TJT from 94

Money may not buy happiness, but it'll buy a waverunner. Ever try to frown on a waverunner?

overmaars
250+ posts
08/19/09 04:45 PM

Plano East V. CUJO 1994

Money may not buy happiness, but it'll buy a waverunner. Ever try to frown on a waverunner?

FattyMacSponsor
250+ posts
08/19/09 05:28 PM

Austin Reagan v. Abilene Cooper - 1967.

Dinkin' Flicka.

accuratehornSponsor
5000+ posts
08/19/09 05:42 PM

"Like a lot of folks, I was sure disappointed that Darrell didn't recruit McVea, but I guess he just wasn't ready to integrate... well, at least Cougar High wasn't in the SWC yet."

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG-Please quit saying this!

Darrell Royal was the first SWC coach to recruit a black football player, and it was Warren McVea. We recruited him heavily, and it came down to Texas or Cougar High. McVea chose UH, and yes, they went on probation over his recruitment. How different it would have been had McVea chose Texas.
Check it out if you don't believe me.

But that McVea/Linus Baer game is still regarded by many as the greatest ever in Texas high school football history. My cousin grew up in San Antonio and went to it-it was an epic contest.

Knowledge is good

I35
1000+ posts
08/19/09 05:50 PM

I was actually at the Class AAA semi-finals game in the early 90's when #1 Southlake Carroll vs #2 Vernon Lions. This game was ranked #2 all time Texas high school football games by the Dallas Morning News. SLC score with about a minute left in the game. Vernon got the ball back and drove down to the 1 yard line. The RB broke one tackle when the clock ran out and looked to score and he fumbled the ball as he was stretching it out and SLC recovered it in their own endzone for the win.

WHAT A GAME!!!!!

AustinBatSponsor
1000+ posts
08/19/09 05:54 PM

In reply to:

2. Austin Reagan / Abilene Cooper, state championship, 1967

Besides ending in a goalline stand, Reagan ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown. I predicted that on the way to the game - wish I could predict the stock market as well!

I was in school at the right time- state championship my senior year, and a national championship at UT my sophomore year - good times!

Bonafide
250+ posts
08/19/09 06:48 PM

North Shore-Houston Madison 2001 - Astrodome

The Link

Rip76
5000+ posts
08/19/09 06:56 PM

One of my high school years (Texas City), finally beat La Marque, after a long drought against them.

Texas City defeated Corsicana for the 1997 state championship in the dome. Me and a bunch of old high school buddies followed them that year...

Mack Brown recruited the Texas City 4 from that team.

DustySponsor
1000+ posts
08/19/09 07:05 PM

So Texanne, you didnít make it over to College Station in í75?

Temple vs. Bryan at Kyle.

Gen. Applewhite
100+ posts
08/19/09 07:59 PM

2001 - Fort Worth Country Day JV vs Trinity Valley JV

One of the most exciting finishes I have ever seen. FWCD was trying to take a safety on fourth down from their own 20 in the final minute to preserve a 5 point lead. The ballcarrier, making a dash for his own end-zone, is run down by the TVS cornerback.

Officials ruled that forward progress was halted when the defender initiated the tackle, and the ball is turned over on downs inside the five yard line. The mighty Trojan JV O punched it in on the next play.

Game, set, match.

FireRC
250+ posts
08/19/09 08:56 PM

THE Plano East vs. Tyler John Tyler game
Hightower v. North Shore 2008
Katy v. Alief Taylor in 2004
North Shore v. Westfield 2005
Burnet v. Jasper 2001
McKinney v. West Orange Stark 1985(?0

TexanneSponsor
10,000+ posts
08/19/09 08:57 PM

Dusty,

I didn't grow up in Temple. I didn't move here until 1983.

Oklahoma: First they stole the land. Then they stole their colors from Harvard, their fight song from Yale, their players from Texas, and their state song from a Broadway play. -- Elgin Hot Sausage

Texas Jack
500+ posts
08/19/09 08:58 PM
Re: Best High School football game you've seen [re: El Sapo]

In reply to:

For me, it was when Austin High beat Westlake a couple of years back for the first time in... a long time. Very exciting game.

Austin High had never beaten Westlake before that game.

TexaninOregon
25+ posts
08/19/09 10:07 PM

1973 Class A Semi-Final: Troup vs. Falls City.Troup won 21-20 on a last second pass.Falls City had been ranked either 1 or 2 all season and nobody gave our Tigers a chance.We were like 10-15 pt underdogs.Take that Beavers!!

UTChE2000
250+ posts
08/19/09 11:10 PM

Plano East vs. Tyler John Tyler - 1994

Nothing comes close.

Jammal Brown said he knew Peterson would fit in without a transition "the first day I saw him with his shirt off."

topwater
250+ posts
08/20/09 03:43 PM

just for the record. it was brack that decided to kick off deep one time and it was linus baer that ran it back for a TD

SabreHorn
500+ posts
08/20/09 10:42 PM

Without a doubt the Lee Breck game was the all time classic. While I didn't see it personally, our HS coach got a copy of the tape. Indeed, McVea was put at QB to get the ball every play, but Richard Castillo's arrest for rape left it uncertain as to whether or not he would be available. As previously mentioned, there was only one deep kick the entire game and McVey took it back for a TD.

The 1955 Port Neches/Garland State Championship Game at Garland was a classic. Garland, coached by Bill Ellington (yes, same on that was later at Texas), was led by Bobby Boyd (AA at OU and All Pro at Baltimore). PN was lead by Gordon LeBouf. Garland led and thought they had won, but there was one second left on the clock. LeBouf took the ball some 60+ yards, Coach Ellington told me that Garland hit him 13 times on his way to the endzone. LeBouf collapsed in the endzone - reportedly with 103 fever and pneumonia. Coach Ellington just got this really distant look in his eyes and said, "How close can you come". In 56, Coach Ellington won it by beating Nederland at Nederland in a driving rain storm 3-0. Nederland, coached by OA Phillips, had the ball inside Garland's 20 (IIRC) five times and never attempted a FG. Closest Bum Phillips ever came to winning a championship at any level. FWIW, the Nederland defense was anchored by an undersized LB, who went on to play for Bear Bryant at Alabama. Guy's name was Leon Fuller, Wonder what ever happened to him.

Another classic was Permian PNG in Texas Stadium in 1975 before 50,000. I believe it was 20-14. Great atmosphere with two schools with great traditions.

The 1964 Galena Park/Garland game at Rice Stadium was one of the best ever and included perhaps the most controversial call in Texas HS history. To this day, Larry Davis swears he caught the pass that would have won the game for Galena Park.

For those interested, when Gene McCollum hired his old friend Bum Phillips to be HC at Port Neches in 63, the runnerup for the job was the coach at Borger named Gene Mayfield. The latter went on to start a program in West Texas known as Odessa Permian. Anybody know if that program ever won anything?

Vince4Heisman
250+ posts
08/21/09 07:10 AM

vince vs north shore in the astrodome

texasorange
< 25 posts
08/21/09 07:51 AM

Medina Valley vs. Daingerfield for the '84 AAA state championship. MV was a big underdog but pulled off a 21-13 victory.

kbrown
1000+ posts
08/21/09 08:17 AM

Permian vs. Tascosa 1968

CenTex Horn
100+ posts
08/21/09 09:36 AM

Had the privilege to watch the aforementioned Mexia/Vernon AAA state championship in 1989. Also got to participate in one myself my junior year.

Mexia's 1988 team was considered better, having gone to the area round, finishing 11-1 losing 7-6 to Navasota at Pyle Field. Plus, considering Mexia started 2-2-1 in non-district play. Ironically, we beat Needville the later in the year 7-6 at Pyle Field in the semi-finals to reach the championship the next week.
The final was all you could want in a high school football game. Vernon had a stud RB who ended up gaining almost 200 yds on our "Crunch Bunch" defense. He scored all 3 of their TD's. It was 14-7, Vernon entering the 4th qtr. Our fullback, who was playing both ways with a separated shoulder, took the first play from scrimmage after Vernon had made it 21-7 50+ yards for a score. 2pt conversion was successful. The defense stepped up and got Richardson to fumble inside Vernon's own territory. Cats drove down to get a passing TD (only one of the day) and the coach's sophomore son booted the xpt. It was sweet redemption since a blocked xpt knocked up out of the playoffs by another kicker. Vernon continued to drive inside the Mexia 40 but the Crunch Bunch stuffed Richardson on a 4th and 3 to regain possession and run out the clock.
There's a really cool postgame pic here under the "1980" section.

The latter was between Mexia and Groesbeck in 1995. New coaching staff for both teams, home field for us. Both teams had a 4-1 season record in the third district game. The buildup was phenomenal, newspapers and tv broadcasters interviewing both teams during the week...something 3A kids weren't used to back then. Plus it was Friday the 13th...in October. Blackcats, Goats, the whole bit. The house was packed as we jumped out to a 9-0 lead (I was the kicker and backup QB) off 2 of 4 overall Goat turnovers. Took that lead into halftime. Groesbeck pulled within 9-7 going into the 4th. We made it 16-7 with about 10 minutes left in the game. They marched down and scored, 16-14, as we tried to eat up the clock on the ensuing drive. FUMBLE!! Goats took the ball about 70 yards in 3 plays with their all-everything back scoring his 2nd TD. 2pt conversion was good, making it Groesbeck 22-16 with just under 2 minutes left. Our two-minute drill was put to good use for the first time as we got the ball on our own 20. Near interception the first play, but 2 plays later our receiver caught a stop route around midfield and outraced about 3 DB's (he wasn't known for his speed too) nipping at the back of his jersey. Brought down just inside the 10. A couple plays later we score to tie it up. Yours truly boots the xpt to make it 23-22 with one minute to play. Groesbeck drives to about midfield with :01 left to attempt a 67-yard FG. Their kicker was a foreign exchange student who was hitting from 60 in pregame warmups. It fell short, about 3 or 4 yards into the endonze. Final: Mexia 23, Groesbeck 22. The Corsicana Daily-Sun and Waco Tribune-Herald voted it their respective region's game of the year.

Ahh, good times!!

Edited by CenTex Horn (08/21/09 09:42 AM)

hornnuts
25+ posts
08/21/09 12:25 PM

Conroe v Temple @ Killeen Stadium in 85.
Voted game of the year and also got play of the year honors. Bubba Jacques staring QB for Conroe funbles snap on 4th and 4 about the Temple 20 yd line. Down 24-27 with under a minute to play. Fumble caught in air by pulling Gaurd and he rumbles for a 1st Down. Barely. Clock stopped Temple coaches all over the field arguing about illegal lateral to no avail. Conroe sets up for FG and hits it with about 8 second left in game to tie at27-27. Pre overtime days. Conroe advances on penetrations. I was a sophmore riding with team bus to take stats during game. Got to watch instead since double booked. We met CyFair the following week in QuarterFinals and lost because we were so beat up after the Temple Game. Great one - nobody mentioned yet!

majorwhiteapples
2500+ posts
08/21/09 02:41 PM

So was Anna Nichole in attendance?

utwheels86
25+ posts
08/21/09 04:08 PM

1994 - Plano East/Tyler John Tyler, for sure. Wish I had a tape of that one!!

CenTex Horn
100+ posts
08/21/09 06:58 PM
Re: Best High School football game you've seen [re: majorwhiteapples]

In reply to:

So was Anna Nichole in attendance?

Yep. She was a cheerleader. Put the USC girl to shame!

PhantomHorn
5000+ posts
08/21/09 07:28 PM

1982 L.D. Bell 14, Euless Trinity 14

Two arch rivals just 5 minutes apart on Airport Freeway play for the second time in four weeks, the first in front of 29,000-plus at Texas Stadium and both 9-0 in the regular season final. This time close to 40,000 fans show up on a chilly December night and the two rivals battle to a 14-14 tie with Bell advancing with a 4-2 penetration edge. Bell eventually loses to first-year Beaumont West Brook in the state championship in the Astrodome.

If you let Rome teach
your children; don't be surprised when they grow up to be
Romans.

TexasUFO
100+ posts
08/22/09 07:50 AM

Garland vs. Texarkana 1964, state 4a regional. Garland was defending state champions and had beaten Texarkana badly in the playoffs the previous year. This game was in Texarkana and Texarkana was leading by less than a touchdown with about 7 minutes left in the game. The Texarkana offense had the ball on the goal line 1st and goal, the game seemed all but over...not so. Garland's All American linebacker made four straight plays in a goal line stand at the one foot line. With time running out the Garland offense took the ball and drove 99+ yards to take the lead with seconds on the clock and win the game on the way to back to back state titles. A man in front of me literally had a heart attack during the final drive. The state final that year was incredible as well with Galena Park and Howard Twill losing to Garland with seconds left in the game on drive stopped by a turnover.

SabreHorn
500+ posts
08/22/09 11:41 AM

UFO, I had forgotten about that game. I listed the Garland Galena Park game in my list.

FWIW, that LB was Gene Mayes, considered by most coaches as the best OL in the history of Texas HS football. He made the stops, then stayed on the field to block for Scoggins (or was it Scroggins), who had a career day against Galena Park in Rice Stadium behind Mayes' blocking.

Again, anyone know what happened to Mayes after TCU; (not talking abou the family tragedy), but where he is and what he's done since?

rosevilleblock
250+ posts
08/22/09 05:20 PM

Groesbeck vs Marlin in 1998 at Groesbeck stadium. Marlin was in top 15 and the Goats were 0-4. Marlin led 26-7 going into the 4th quarter only to see Groesbeck storm back to score 32 points durning the final 12 minutes winning going away 39-26 at homecoming. The Bulldogs would get revenge in bi-disrtict winning 34-6 though.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy