Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Rate thread Print Thread
Orangeblood90
1000+ posts
10/14/09 11:17 AM
Looking for I35 alternatives for Austin-Dallas

Heading to Dallas on Friday with my son for OU. Leaving after his school lets out. Are there any good alternatives to I 35? I always remember traffic being bad on the Friday before the game.

We'll be staying in Rockwall. Thought about heading over to 45. Can anyone comment on the traffic on 45 heading to Dallas before the OU game?

OOPS meant to put this IN THE STANDS, mods move if necessary

Edited by Orangeblood90 (10/14/09 11:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Bevo-Stevo
2500+ posts
10/14/09 11:24 AM
Re: Looking for I35 alternatives for Austin-Dallas [re: Orangeblood90]

We took FM 308 just past Waco a few times. It bypasses the I-35 East-West split and Hillsboro area, which always seems to be a problem. This route takes you thru several small, one-light towns and hooks back up with I-35 at Italy. Good luck and drive safe.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

LakeErieHorn
250+ posts
10/14/09 12:09 PM

183 and make your way to Hico, beautiful country and it is surprisingly quick. You can cut across to Dallas on any number of state roads.

LakeErieHorn
250+ posts
10/14/09 12:11 PM

Did not notice the Rockwall thing. I used to drive it up from Marble Falls, Burnet. 183 might be out of your way unless you are leaving from the west or north side of Austin.

BevoNation
25+ posts
10/14/09 12:16 PM

Like the poster above me, I prefer to take back rounds near Hico. You do have to go a bit out of the way but I really like the scenery and there are rarely any cars out there.

I'd take 183 to Lampasas, then hop on 281 all the way to Hico where I get on 67 until I get inside the Dallas loop.

dthree36
25+ posts
10/14/09 12:29 PM

Well, A plane works best but if that is not an option, then 281 up to Dallas is a nice alternate route. the only problem is that slow traffic can delay you a bit, but it is a nice drive with minimal traffic usually.

treball
250+ posts
10/14/09 12:45 PM

Southwest Airlines

BevoJoe
2500+ posts
10/14/09 12:59 PM

I like 183 to Lampasas then 281 to Hico. From Hico take 220 to Glen Rose then 67 into Dallas. You'll end up on 35 in Oak Cliff.

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

senorhuba
25+ posts
10/14/09 01:09 PM

Actually, traffic usually clears at Hillsboro now that they have mostly finished construction. I find that Belton to about West is the real difficult stretch these days. Hico is a pretty drive but doing that brings you in so that you have to cross the entire metroplex where traffic is going to be poor all weekend. I'd take the tollway to 79 to 45 to 635E to 30 if Rockwall is your destination.

immtex
25+ posts
10/14/09 01:22 PM

281 up through Hico, stop at the Koffee Kup Cafe in Hico for lunch/dinner and save room for pie.... You can thank me later.

omahawk
formerly goo
10/14/09 01:32 PM

i like 35 because it's always fun to give the hook'em to others on their way up there. traffic don't skur me. that drive to dallas with all the cars window painted and flags and what is what gets me all excited about the trip.

just got that feeling in my stomach. gotta go potty! EXCITED!

TEXAS LONGHORNS - STAND THE [censored] UP

Edited by omahawk (10/14/09 01:33 PM)

UTEE
2500+ posts
10/14/09 01:34 PM

Yet another vote for 183/281 route. It takes longer than I35 on a normal day, but on the Friday afternoon of TX-OU it's definitely faster, and less frustrating too because you're not bumper-to-bumper the whole way. In fact, you might go miles at a time without seeing another car.

"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word." -- John Steinbeck

SunBurntOrange
250+ posts
10/14/09 01:43 PM

I like to take 35 to Waco and then Hwy 31 up to Corsicana. From there you can get on IH45 and it takes you straight to the fairgrounds,

valencia
100+ posts
10/16/09 07:17 AM

Take 130 as far as you can then from Waco head east to Coriscana. I-45 will be easy breezy/

Horns11Sponsor
2500+ posts
10/16/09 08:23 AM

I still think I-35 is faster than all of the alternates. Even if you're sitting in traffic for 2 hours.

Now, if traffic pours back about 3-4 hours (I've had this problem in Hillsboro before), I'd say the best alternate is probably Hwy 79 to I-45 (the "aggy" way). The 183-281 route is nice, but takes you outside the realm of a 5-hour trip.

centexorange
1000+ posts
10/16/09 08:29 AM
Re: Looking for I35 alternatives for Austin-Dallas [re: Bevo-Stevo]

This route takes you thru several small, one-light towns and hooks back up with I-35 at Italy.

And if you do this make sure you observe the speed limit signs because they will pop you.

everybodygodeep
1000+ posts
10/16/09 11:45 AM

Southwest AIrlines.

"You will have plenty of time to think about it, when you're living in a van down by the river." Matt Foley (Chris Farley)

pike
250+ posts
10/16/09 11:50 AM

I35 is by far the best way. Whoever said to go to corsicana from waco is out of their mind.

The hico route sends you too far west.

Traffic will be bad but you wont be bumper to bumper the whole way.

BevoJoe
2500+ posts
10/16/09 12:12 PM

In reply to:

Southwest AIrlines.

Classic!

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy