Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Rate thread Print Thread
TDTexas!
500+ posts
12/07/09 10:17 AM
Nick Saban's live interview on ESPN last night

I was intrigued that he called out the studio guys [and Herbstreit in particular] on painting what Saban called the 'David vs Goliath' matchup. he insisted it be in perspective and said effectively that Herbstreit and studio guys were seting his guys up on the idea that Texas is overmatched with Alabama. He also praised Muschamp & Major when asked. interesting face he puts up considering his rep fro being an abusive SOB to work with.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

TxnByBirth
500+ posts
12/07/09 10:22 AM
Re: Nick Saban's live interview on ESPN last night [re: TDTexas!]

In reply to:

I was intrigued that he called out the studio guys [and Herbstreit in particular] on painting what Saban called the 'David vs Goliath' matchup. he insisted it be in perspective and said effectively that Herbstreit and studio guys were seting his guys up on the idea that Texas is overmatched with Alabama.

That was Saban telling the media, "quit giving them material for their bulletin board!!!" That's all it was.

~ If it looks like a jerk and acts like a jerk, it must be a Miami Hurricane

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

UTEE
2500+ posts
12/07/09 10:27 AM

Absolutely. Not only does Saban know that this is giving Texas bulletin board material, but he also knows his own team is going to be reading this stuff and watching it on TV for the next month, and it's pretty tough NOT to get full of yourself when the mediots are all coddling you for a month.

But it isn't going to work. The mediots had decided the SEC champion would dominate hapless Texas even before Alabama whipped Florida and Texas struggled against Nebraska. There's nothing Saban can do to stop it, and I am glad about that. I am really going to enjoy watching the mediots make complete fools of themselves one more time, as Mack Brown walks off with another crystal football.

"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word." -- John Steinbeck

MTF
1000+ posts
12/07/09 10:27 AM

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.

Whiterock Horn
25+ posts
12/07/09 10:35 AM
Re: Nick Saban's live interview on ESPN last night [re: MTF]

Keyser Soze?

Oilfield
5000+ posts
12/07/09 10:40 AM

After this weekend I am convinced that Alabama is -- say it with me now -- "the Greatest Team of All Time".

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. -- Abraham Lincoln

Dr.Spot
< 25 posts
12/07/09 10:44 AM

Saban & his players heard all last year how they would wax Utah in the Sugar Bowl & were 10 point favorites. Did not work out so well for them . End of the 1st quarter Utah 21 Bama 0. Give Saban a month to prepare & that was the best he could come up with. He sure as hell does not want to be the favorite again he knows his players can't handle it.

TexLaw04
1000+ posts
12/07/09 11:20 AM

Well, I don't know about you guys, but Saban and the Tide scare me quite a bit. They aren't "the best team of all time," but I don't see the media billing them as such like they did for USC and other teams back in the day.

Saban seems to have his head on straight, and from the performance of the Tide against Florida, it looks like the players do, too. They may not have gotten up for their bowl game against Utah last year, but this year, it's for all the marbles.

Now, the things we have going for us are (1) it will be very, very hard for Alabama to match the level of play they showed against Florida, and (2) it will (or should be) very, very hard for us to play as poorly as we did against Nebraska. That, and the fact that no matter how hard Saban tries, the media will give us at least some bulletin board material.

Still, it's clear to me that Saban isn't underestimating us. We should not underestimate Alabama.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man.

Oilfield
5000+ posts
12/07/09 11:27 AM

Oh, they're a great team, without a doubt. I'm just counting on the Heisman Trophy and endless ESPN hype to build them up in their own minds beyond belief. Love being the underdog since we get that opportunity so rarely.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. -- Abraham Lincoln

NorthCoastHorn
250+ posts
12/07/09 11:29 AM
Re: Nick Saban's live interview on ESPN last night [re: TexLaw04]

In reply to:

Well, I don't know about you guys, but Saban and the Tide scare me quite a bit. They aren't "the best team of all time," but I don't see the media billing them as such like they did for USC and other teams back in the day.

It isn't the same as SC, but I've heard just about all media sources talking that 'Bama is the prohibitive favorite and it very well could be a mismatch.

We haven't underestimated anyone IMO.

It is just noteworthy that being someone no one feels like can win, and having the talent to do it gives you an advantage when the media takes the tack that it has.

Can't wait for Pasedena!

Hook'em

RabidLonghorn
5000+ posts
12/07/09 11:31 AM

To late, the Bama Qb is already running his mouth about how great his team is.

when we beat UT and win the bowl, we are at 6 wins. 6 of 13 == bowl eligible for our recordbooks
Aggy Poster

Vote For Pedro
500+ posts
12/07/09 11:38 AM

I find it amusingly hypocritical how even these SEC coaches year in year out all season long will tell you that the SEC is the best conference and their in league competition is the toughest. Now when the media is simply following in that logic (SEC competition is best in country and you beat them 32-13 so you should be a big favorite against non SEC competition) all of sudden he wants everyone to back off from that line of thinking.

I understand the reason for the hypocrisy. Most of the time they're stumping for poll votes and positioning. Now that they're in the NC game it's suddently the one time that doesn't matter. Hypocritical nonetheless.

HousHorn09Sponsor
2500+ posts
12/07/09 11:54 AM

I am of the opinion that Saban wishes to avoid that [censored] Karma at all costs. He saw how his team partied on the field in Atlanta as if they had already won the Super Bowl & were destined for Disney World. Hell even the Great RB Ingram passed out on the field from yelling & celebrating after felling Lord Jeebus. I guess you can't blame him for that, but I digress.

Saban seems to "envision" his team getting too full of themselves while listening to all the media hype of how they should "roll" Texas over like yesterday's laundry.

Perhaps its the Ghost of that he fears? Nicky should remember all that noise ESPiN made over the golden children of the university of spoiled children in '05. That set up the curse of the "threepeat" - the one of which I understand still puts Pete Carroll into cold sweats.

Whatever his motivation for "correcting" Herby & gang about the superiority of 'Bama and the SEC, Saban is simply looking to side-step any potential Karmic land mines. And he should because they're being planted in every nook & cranny.

One more game Colt, Sergio, Lamar & Jordan. Let's go to work! Win number 46 for Colt, Longhorns and let's bring another crystal football home... all the waaaay to Auw-stin, Texas Baby.

Note to opposing offenses for the 2009 season... PAIN! Courtesy of Mr. Kindle

jdelatorreSponsor
250+ posts
12/07/09 12:55 PM

I was listening to Birmingham Sports radio and you wouldn't even know Alabama has an opponent in the BCS game. The experts here will be suprised if anyone besides Ingram is invited to New York on Saturday.

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy