Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
RoyalMemorial
100+ posts
12/08/10 09:15 AM
$1M per win

The headline reads: "Texas' Mack Brown delivers lowest rate of return among college coaches"

Link

Ouch. Not used to seeing headlines like that associated with UT Football.

Here's hoping Mack's housecleaning rights the ship (to mix metaphors), and soon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

I_Live_In_OK
1000+ posts
12/08/10 09:17 AM
Re: $1M per win [re: RoyalMemorial]

In reply to:

Ouch. Not used to seeing headlines like that associated with UT Football.

I'm not surprised considering how much of a tight grip Bellmont holds on local UT sports reporting.

Is everyone on the AAS staff a Texas shill, besides Bohls? I couldn't imagine a local news outlet daring to run that piece.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

FWHORN
5000+ posts
12/08/10 09:19 AM

False premise using only wins. How much money did Texas football make last year. Every game was televised, every home game was sold out (at lest in ticket sales if not actual attendance). Every suite sold and merchandising is always number 1 or 2 and that is because of football. Compare revenue from pre Mack to now and compare revenue to all the other major colleges and then try to suggest Mack's salary is lowest "rate of return".

From a business perspective Mack has been a great deal financially for the University.

Used to be in Fort Worth now living in the Cayman Islands and loving life.

john_h
500+ posts
12/08/10 09:32 AM

....because we're all so proud that while we're not going to a bowl this year, we're raking it in hand over fist

Longhorny630
1000+ posts
12/08/10 09:56 AM

In reply to:

False premise using only wins. How much money did Texas football make last year. Every game was televised, every home game was sold out (at lest in ticket sales if not actual attendance). Every suite sold and merchandising is always number 1 or 2 and that is because of football. Compare revenue from pre Mack to now and compare revenue to all the other major colleges and then try to suggest Mack's salary is lowest "rate of return".

How long will that continue to happen if 5 win seasons get repeated?

"[political parties] serve to organize faction; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation, the will of a party, rather than the organ of consistent and wholesome plans digested by common counsels,"
-George Washington

MarylandHorn
250+ posts
12/08/10 09:58 AM

As dissapointed as I am with the results of this season, the win over Nebraska was worth at least $3M. That brings the average cost for the other 4 wins down to $500K. None of the coaches on the cost-effective end of this scale came close to beating a team like Nebraska. However, I'm not sure any of them lost to teams like ISU or KSU...

bronco
1000+ posts
12/08/10 10:04 AM

Of course the Texas football program under MB brings in more than enough money to justify his salary. This is simply some guys way of showing which big time coaches had bad years. It is not surprising.

FWHORN
5000+ posts
12/08/10 10:07 AM

Not long but as with any CEO you dont fire him for one bad quarter especially if there is a proven track record of years of profit as there is here.

Used to be in Fort Worth now living in the Cayman Islands and loving life.

Texas Jack
1000+ posts
12/08/10 04:21 PM
Re: $1M per win [re: FWHORN]

In reply to:

Not long but as with any CEO you dont fire him for one bad quarter especially if there is a proven track record of years of profit as there is here.

Firing Mack isn't in the cards, but don't get it twisted.

This wasn't a bad quarter, it was a bad year. No it wasn't even a bad year, it was a monstrosity.

A MNC participant had never gone 5-7 the next year in NCAA history.

In terms of colossal failures it was the worst ever, so lets call it what it was...

Oilfield
5000+ posts
12/08/10 04:49 PM

Kind of cool seeing some love for Houston kid Mike Haywood at Miami (Ohio). He may be one to watch.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. -- Abraham Lincoln

tholly
1000+ posts
12/08/10 05:03 PM

I've got to believe there was a 1-11 team whose coach made more than 1Mil. Worse yet, any 0-12 team got less for their money..

Branyon
500+ posts
12/08/10 05:06 PM

This article or a derivative of it is on every sports page in the country. Local staff writers are plugging the cost per win of the local college coach. The Nevada papers are using the story to tout what a bargain Chris Ault is.

The Link

Interesting that Brewster is ranked as one of the worst, yet he is on the list for HC at Texas State.

Edited by Branyon (12/08/10 05:32 PM)

Texas Jack
1000+ posts
12/08/10 05:47 PM
Re: $1M per win [re: tholly]

In reply to:

I've got to believe there was a 1-11 team whose coach made more than 1Mil. .

This took only a moment to find.
The Link

In reply to:

Worse yet, any 0-12 team got less for their money.

No.

No one lost all their games.

BTW only 4 teams finished with only 1 win and none of them had a million dollar coach.

LikeMike
500+ posts
12/08/10 05:53 PM

FW

How many more years of 5 wins will the seats sell out?

Bevo Incognito
5000+ posts
12/08/10 07:04 PM

In reply to:

This wasn't a bad quarter, it was a bad year. No it wasn't even a bad year, it was a monstrosity.

Actually, it WAS only a bad quarter ... September, October, and November.

We were in the national championship game earlier this year.

theiioftx
250+ posts
12/08/10 07:29 PM

I propose Mack's salary be raised to 13 million next year.

Santafe
1000+ posts
12/08/10 09:33 PM

I like Mack and have said he is good for Texas, but I'm not in the mood to defend him this year. Recall that Mack said he would fix the problem this season, he didn't come close. The problem got worse. So, I'd say Mack earned a solid "F" for his coaching/team management this season. And I think it is safe to say there will be even more empty seats next season if he doesn't "fix" the problem. As much as John Mackovic was disliked, Mackovic never finished dead last in the south division and Mack had more overall "talent" on this year's team than Mackovic.

Hell, not even Bob Stoops in 2009 (with all of the key injuries his team suffered) came close to the 5-7 mark Mack earned this year.

The Greatest
1000+ posts
12/08/10 10:53 PM
Re: $1M per win [re: Longhorny630]

In reply to:

FW

How many more years of 5 wins will the seats sell out?

In reply to:

finally some people who get it. if the administration had any guts, this is how the last contract negotations with mack should have gone.

BoR: "Well Mack, it looks like you've had 12 great years here. The last 6, just spectacular, maybe the best 6 year run the school has had. But we're concerned. We've run the numbers, and if you start stringing together 5 win seasons - and lets face it, you're due for a down year and there's pretty much no way you could ever turn it around if you had one - revenue might not be where we'd like it to be after 12 years of being beyond our wildest dreams. Forget that raise you were hoping for, it's looking like a massive pay cut is in the works. So we're hoping you'll be a good guy and own up to your failures and take our offer."

MB: "Well doggone it, I'm sorry I'll let you guys down like that. What kind of man would I be if I didn't own up to my problems? Taking that pay cut sounds like the right thing to do. Where do I sign?"

BoR: "Wow, well we're glad this could work out so well. We didn't want any nasty stories about us paying you something crazy like $1M per win, especially with revenue down and the program in complete shambles like it will be."

MB: "Heck, I'm just glad you didn't fire me. I'm probably ripping you guys off, given how little clue I'm going to have what I'm doing, ha ha."

tholly
1000+ posts
12/09/10 04:11 AM

"I propose Mack's salary be raised to 13 million next year." _____________ What! You don't want to win the bowl game?

tholly
1000+ posts
12/09/10 04:13 AM

Oops.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy