Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
Hornia
100+ posts
10/20/11 12:33 PM
Re: Case McCoy? [re: planohorn84]

LOL...exactly. Well, more like some of it. McCoy got hurt in the 1999 Cotton Bowl. Simms won starting position at the beginning of 2000 season. Threw two INTs against Louisianna LaFayette. Major replaced him that game. Yes, Major won back the starting position that year after the OU game, got hurt against Baylor, I think, but never got a chance again until the Big XII Championship debacle in 2001. So, no, it didn't go quite the way that poster said it did.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

gdu
500+ posts
10/20/11 12:39 PM

Perham1,

than I'd hate to see what he said about Ash, because so far Case has been better in games. Niether of them is a superstar or even much above average, but Case has been the better of the two. Ash is starting because of potential; nobody has said he is the starter based on what he has done during games.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Hornia
100+ posts
10/20/11 12:41 PM

In reply to:

Per Charlie Pallillo, sports-radio God, Case McCoy just isn't that good.

Who???

Perham1
5000+ posts
10/21/11 11:27 AM
Re: Case McCoy? [re: Hornia]

Who???

McCoy. Case McCoy. Plays qb for the Longhorns.

Jeez.

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. Oscar Wilde

LonghornCatholic
2500+ posts
10/21/11 11:33 AM

I think he meant Charlie, not Case.

"Text without context is a pretext for error."
(original author unknown)

Perham1
5000+ posts
10/21/11 11:37 AM
Re: Case McCoy? [re: LonghornCatholic]

I think he meant Charlie, not Case.

Lol.

You think?

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. Oscar Wilde

BigVegasHorn26
250+ posts
10/21/11 11:51 AM

If Case's last name was not McCoy, he would not have been offered by Texas, nor any other D1 team for that matter.

gdu
500+ posts
10/21/11 11:57 AM

Dumb. Colt wasn't exactly a high profile recruit when Texas offered him.

Clean
1000+ posts
10/21/11 12:11 PM

In reply to:

So why did Case alledgedly not want to go back in the OU game?

Believe it or don't:

The Link

BigVegasHorn26
250+ posts
10/21/11 12:19 PM

There's a difference between not being a "high profile" recruit and being a D1 level quality recruit. Colt was one of these, Case is neither.

SabreHorn
500+ posts
10/21/11 01:05 PM

What that diminutive, mental midget, NY reject from Syr-excuse knows about football would roll around a thimble like a BB rolls around the Astrodome. Pallillo is truly a tribute to the fact that Houston cannot attract even minimal sports radio talent.

Edited by SabreHorn (10/21/11 01:08 PM)

horn4jc
500+ posts
10/21/11 01:27 PM

I'm not sure how accurate Barking Carnival is but their articles have proven to be true. If Case really did pout and tap out of the OU game, then he did himself no favors nor anyone on the team. But, based on the article, it also looks like they're grooming him to be one play away from being in the game. If he sticks it out at Texas, he is a solid backup. I hope he embraces this role like Matt Nordgren and get the best education you can get at UT. Also, it would allow Mack to redshirt Brewer.

The article has good nuggets of info like Steve Edmond and Kendall Thompson getting more reps at LB and Myckkal Thompson at Safety.

Xcalibur
500+ posts
10/21/11 02:30 PM

If that article is true, then I've lost a lot of respect for Case. I think if we'd been able to play both qbs against OkSt, we would have won. But I can't accept that article as true without more corroborating sources.

And it's goodbye to A&M! Final score: 75-37. GG, no re.

Hornia
100+ posts
10/21/11 02:42 PM

In reply to:

If Case's last name was not McCoy, he would not have been offered by Texas, nor any other D1 team for that matter.

Yea, kink of makes wonder how Ash or any other 3-star QB's get D1 offers, since their last name is most likely not McCoy.

Hornia
100+ posts
10/21/11 02:49 PM

As far as McCoy not wanting to go back into the OU game, it was most likely out of frustration more than anything. If you go back to the Iowa State game, I noticed there was a time when he looked pretty upset because he was not left in the game. Call it attitude or what you may, but I really don't think it had anything to do with "tapping out", IMHO. Could that be a reason for not playing in the OSU game, absolutely. A bit of an attitude adjustment. Hopefully he will learn from it. Furthermore, I seem to remember the same type of "attitude" out of Applewhite, especially his Senior season.

horn4jc
500+ posts
10/21/11 03:39 PM

In reply to:

Furthermore, I seem to remember the same type of "attitude" out of Applewhite, especially his Senior season.

If you mean that he was frustrated not playing, I agree with you. I'm sure off camera with his family and closest friends he vented.

But, I don't remember any public outward display of frustration being pulled. Assuming its true with Case, Major would never refuse to go back into a game. With the performances against Colorado in the 2001 CCG and the Holiday Bowl, it shows that he stayed prepared. It would behoove Case to listen to Major on how he handled it and accept his role. Case has been one of the reasons why we're 4-2 and still have a shot at a good bowl. But, he has to know that having your older brother's number retired doesn't guarantee squat.

All of us who have ever played organized competive sports at any level hated not starting or getting pulled. But pouting or throwing a fit in front of the team on camera will not sit well with coaches.

Hornia
100+ posts
10/21/11 03:49 PM

In reply to:

If you mean that he was frustrated not playing, I agree with you. I'm sure off camera with his family and closest friends he vented.

Not to harp on this subject, but I seem to remember Major not being at all pleased with his reps in fall camp of his senior year, and yeah, he let the coaches know about it.

horn4jc
500+ posts
10/21/11 04:01 PM

In reply to:

Not to harp on this subject, but I seem to remember Major not being at all pleased with his reps in fall camp of his senior year, and yeah, he let the coaches know about it.

In retrospect, I'm not pleased about the amount of reps Major got in his Senior year.

I_Dont_Exist
500+ posts
10/21/11 04:51 PM
Re: Case McCoy? [re: Perham1]

In reply to:

Per Charlie Pallillo, sports-radio God, Case McCoy just isn't that good.

I think Charlie's right.

I didn't hear this comment but I'll bet he qualified it as "right now" or some other way so as not to rag on him. Charlie's the best talk show host in Houston by a mile and has never been anything but fair and objective towards the horns. Sometimes his opinion isn't what horns want to hear. That's not his job.

dukesteer
100+ posts
10/24/11 12:11 AM

If I may enter the fray...

Let's assume for a moment that neither Ash nor McCoy have done anything to clearly win the job. Let's also assume that both have showed signs, at times. Finally, let's assume that to measure either player's performance based on the past two games may not be reasonable...

What baffles me is simply this: Why in the world did Case McCoy not see the field against OSU? Not even one series. Wow!

If -- as some have reported -- Case was pouting, I for one cannot blame him. With GG melting down last year, Mack Brown never gave McCoy one iota of a chance. That didn't work out very well now did it?

Hey, the kid's 19 years old (I'm assuming, again). He's human. What the heck do we expect out of him?

It it were my call, I'd start McCoy. The occasional flashes of brilliance -- yes, I said "brilliance" -- we have seen this year from the QB position have occurred when he has been at the helm.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy