Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> In The Stands

Rate thread Print Thread
J.R.69
500+ posts
01/31/10 09:51 AM
Walter Fondren, R.I.P.

Walter Fondren has died, in Houston. Played for UT in mid-50s. All-Conference, great player.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

TexasTower
1000+ posts
01/31/10 11:37 AM
Re: Walter Fondren, R.I.P. [re: J.R.69]

Never heard of the man, but he's a Longhorn and has my respect.

RIP

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. - Einstein
Algebra Help
College Algebra

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

torre
100+ posts
01/31/10 01:43 PM

The Link

His Grandson, Robert, was on the UT Baseball team last year. A great Texas family.

"Always been a Horn" (Taylor Jungmann reply to Kirk Bohls on why he came to Texas)

sandypoley
25+ posts
01/31/10 04:11 PM

Walter Fondren was the QB qt Texas when I was a freshman. He also was the punter. He was a star player for Texas way back then. RIP

Olhorn
1000+ posts
01/31/10 04:23 PM

I didn't know he had passed. Of course I knew of Walter Fondern. Great player and of course from a prominent Houston Family. Fondren Road. And of course the building(s) in the Medical Center named for Fondren.

TexasStew
100+ posts
01/31/10 08:51 PM

Great story from Houston in the 50s:
Walter Fondren Jr (the old man) was shopping one evening when the sales clerk asked if he could help. Mr. Fondren said he was looking for a business shirt. The clerk said "how about these over here"? Mr. Fondren said they were too expensive. The sales clerk then replied "those are the shirts your son buys when he shops here". Mr. Fondren then said "There's a difference between me and my son. My son has a rich father".

Bernard
1000+ posts
02/01/10 12:00 AM

I was all set to attend Fondren Jr. High in Houston until they built Louis Welch.

In you like to fish, Fondren founded the GCCA, now called the CCA.

I believe the Columbe d'or Restaurant and Hotel is located in what used to be the Fondren mansion on Montrose Blvd.

Bernard

RomaVicta
10,000+ posts
02/01/10 10:05 AM

RC Horn
100+ posts
02/01/10 11:04 AM

In his book, DARRELL ROYAL TALKS FOOTBALL, Coach Royal once commented that his 1957 team would have never survived without Walter Fondren's quick kicking. Once hailed as the second coming of Doak Walker, Walter Fondren was more like Eric Metcalf(an above average player on a very bad team),

BTW, didn't the Fondrens donate a lot of money to build a library at a very prominent Houston university???

RIP

Edited by RC Horn (02/01/10 11:04 AM)

longyak
1000+ posts
02/01/10 01:42 PM

In reply to:

BTW, didn't the Fondrens donate a lot of money to build a library at a very prominent Houston university???

Yes. The Fondrens are one of Houston's great philanthropic families and have donated the funds to build many many things.

Mr. Fiesta
100+ posts
02/01/10 06:54 PM

His grandfather was one of the founders of the Humble Oil Company which became Exxon.

hamhorn
500+ posts
02/01/10 10:05 PM

He was the first Longhorn I idolized. I was nine years old in 1956.

Not that Bob
1000+ posts
02/11/10 09:46 AM

Like hamhorn, Walt Fondren was my first childhood idol. Royal inherited a 1-9 team in 1957, and I believe that Fondren was a major reason that Darrell was able to turn things around. My memories are dim...I was only 10 that year, but we had only a few good players, and Fondren was one of them. We had a back, Rene Ramirez who was also a hero of mine. Twin brothers Will and Wes Wyman were "gangsta" 50 years before the term was coined. Those twins from McCallum High School in Austin made people hurt.

Guys like these, the few good players Royal inherited, played a major roll in bringing us back to the quality football that Texas had earlier enjoyed under D.X. Bible. Fondren is a major reason we are where we are today.

Hail! Hail! The gang's all here.

drborangeSponsor
1000+ posts
02/17/10 08:52 AM

R.I.P.

HOOKEM HORNS!!!!!!!!!

A&M ---Where "Comrad in Arms" takes on a whole new meaning

ghost
2500+ posts
03/01/10 01:15 PM
Re: Walter Fondren, R.I.P. [re: drborange]

I heard the news of Fondren's passing this past weekend from my Mom. My grandfather coached him at Lamar HS, which won the 1953 state championship. She ran into one of the other players from that team while we were at lunch on Saturday and that's when I found out about the death.

Bust The Clock

yelladawgdem
1000+ posts
03/13/10 05:13 PM
Re: Walter Fondren, R.I.P. [re: hamhorn]

In reply to:

His grandfather was one of the founders of the Humble Oil Company which became Exxon.

I am so old that I can remember when Exxon and Bill Clements were both still Humble.

S/Sgt. Lloyd Gene Austin
Viet Nam
AR COMM
My big brother
KIA 18 Aug 69

Support Our Troops.
Bring them home ALIVE....NOW!!!

parkerco
500+ posts
03/17/10 04:48 PM

So he was the starting QB for Texas and a multi-millionaire? now that is a truly charmed life.

Texas Rugby
1000+ posts
04/15/10 01:31 AM

[img]http://images53.fotki.com/v536/photos/6/1267826/7797945/zzzxx123-vi.png[/img]

Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy