Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> Basketball

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
IndyHornSponsor
500+ posts
02/18/12 03:00 PM
Re: Texas tourney watch [re: Knoxville-Horn]

Kansas State won in Waco today. That sucks for us. Baylor comes to Austin fully focused, if ever they aren't versus Texas. And Kansas State gets a top 25 RPI win that Texas lost. If we lose at Okie State and on Monday we can pack our bags for the NIT in my view, unless we somehow win the Big 12 tournament.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Vol Horn 4 Life
2500+ posts
02/18/12 04:18 PM

In my opinion the loss to OSU today sealed our NIT fate unless we at least make the conference tourney finals. OSU had a 107 RPI ranking coming into today.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Horns11Sponsor
500+ posts
02/18/12 04:24 PM

I still think an upset of either BU or KU will be enough to get a solid 10-11 seed if we win the other games we're supposed to (Tech/OU).

FWHORN
5000+ posts
02/18/12 04:28 PM

Okie State is a really tough place to win on the road and the Horns just didnt have it today. This makes Monday a must win to have any shot at the NCAA tournament. I felt 3-2 over last five would be enough and that is still possible but now is going to take an upset.

Used to be in Fort Worth now living in the Cayman Islands and loving life.

Handler XIII
1000+ posts
02/18/12 05:21 PM

Big 12 will get at least 5 but probably 6 teams in, as long as we beat Tech and OU we should be ok as at a minimum the 6th team. The only wrench in those plans would be if OSU gets hot and goes on a run to finish the season.

Either way we will have a chance at the end of the season because we will be playing BU, KSU, or Iowa St. in the first game in the tourney. If we fall to 7 due to tie-breakers, we'll at least get to pick up another W against Tech in the first game.

Branyon
1000+ posts
02/18/12 05:52 PM

The Horns need to face the fact that they stepped on their dicks today and need to show up on fire Monday.

NBHorn7
25+ posts
02/18/12 11:24 PM

Back to being squarely on the bubble again. Same scenario as the Missouri game a couple of weeks ago.

Need a big time win over a ranked team. That team is coming to the Erwin Center fresh off a loss. In this case, the team is Baylor. We really need to win this game.

Kansas St. now has two of those kind of wins over Missouri and now Baylor. They certainly at this point in time have an edge over us to get into the Tourney.

If you invite trouble, he usually shows up.

andyokstate
< 25 posts
02/19/12 09:47 AM

Checkout the Big 12 tournament GENERATOR. An ISU grad wrote it, so excuse the gold/garnet color craziness. Anyway, you plug in the wins/losses you expect for the rest of the Big 12 season and it spits out a tournament bracket based on those choices.

KSU has some really good wins, and a few perplexing losses (swept by OU?), but that win at Baylor was huge for them. Baylor is only 5-5 in their last 10 games. It is certainly a winnable game for UT. I still think UT has great chance to make the tournament. You can finish out the season 3-1. Do that and you most likely get a 6 seed to play ISU in the 2nd round of the Big 12.

I went to the game yesterday. UT has not been kind to Keiton Page over his career, so it was a nice surprise to see him finally go off like that. All season long, I have been amazed that teams buy into his little pump fake over and over again. I have truly enjoyed watching him play here, as he gives his all every game.

J'Covan Brown is a steadying influence for you guys. And Kabongo is a gamer - wish we had him. Barnes always has a knack for getting a crazy quick PG. Hell, he's had a knack for getting talent up and down the roster for years, so this 'off' year for UT is surprising to me.

I wish our off years were like yours...

Vol Horn 4 Life
2500+ posts
02/19/12 12:42 PM

Latest RPI has KSU #50 and Texas #51.

steerfan
25+ posts
02/19/12 07:27 PM

We dont need any upsets to make the NCAAs. We are a slight favorite over BU, as it should be at home.We will be favored over OU and at Tech. Win those three and we are in. Simple as that.

Rex Kramer
5000+ posts
02/19/12 09:09 PM

Even with a loss to BU, if we finish 9-9, we still have a shot. I don't get the NIT doomsayers. I'm not there yet. This team has improved immeasurably in the last 3 weeks. I like our chances.

Chapman must stay out of foul trouble or Acy is going to have double digit dunks on us.

Third Coast
10,000+ posts
02/19/12 09:49 PM

We certainly have a chance at the dance and I am hopeful, but the way this team has played in the first half of the last three games doesn't make me overly optimistic.

Vol Horn 4 Life
2500+ posts
02/20/12 06:33 AM

When Texas was 39th in RPI we were considered by most as one of the last four in. I think we will go 2-2 to finish the season and the conference tourney will be big for us.

majorwhiteapples
5000+ posts
02/20/12 06:54 AM

Back on the Bubble.

Knoxville-Horn
2500+ posts
02/20/12 11:37 AM

Yep. This last game certainly didn't help. IMO, the next 3 AND first round tourney game are must-wins. Guess our direction will be much clearer this time tomorrow.

George Bluth Sr.: Michael. You've got to get me out of here.
Michael: I thought you wanted to be here instead of prison.
George Bluth Sr.: No. In prison, you have to close your eyes and take it. Here, you have to close your eyes and give it.

Vol Horn 4 Life
2500+ posts
02/20/12 09:55 PM

Our NCAA tourney hopes are done unless we win the conference tourney. Good luck in the NIT Horns!!!

Statalyzer
25,000+ posts
02/20/12 10:02 PM

That's an overreaction.

We're Texas

orangecat1
500+ posts
02/20/12 10:15 PM

even though I considered tonight to be the season, I guess winning two of the last three, to put us at 19 wins, and then winning two games in the conference tourney, 21 wins; that should get us to the NCAAs?

But, to win that 2nd tourney game, you have to most likely beat Kansas or Mizzou.

FWHORN
5000+ posts
02/21/12 07:44 AM

Barring an upset on the road of Kansas or a run in the Big XII tourny to the finals, last night was the final nail in the coffin. Looks like 19-12 (19-13 assuming fquarterfinal loss in the tourny) is most likely record and that just isnt going to get it done. You can point to 4-5 games this year all of which had they gone differently might have Texas on the good side of the bubble, but none of them did.

Used to be in Fort Worth now living in the Cayman Islands and loving life.

Horns11Sponsor
500+ posts
02/21/12 07:46 AM

As of this moment, we'd need either:
A. to upset KU in the regular season, or
B. beat Tech/OU AND make a run in the conference tournament

And this is just to get in.

I think the pollsters might pity us come Selection Sunday if we're at 20 wins (Tech, OU, and first round of conference tourney). Kind of like the PJ Tucker year when with went 9-7 with a hurt Aldridge and poor guard play. But right now, I'm thinking we're a "home" seed for the NIT.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy