Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> Cactus Cafe

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
LostinTime
1000+ posts
11/30/07 02:00 PM
Re: Can an airplane takeoff from a treadmill? [re: CottonEyedHorn]

Yep ^
^

Aggy the Home of Delusional Grandeur
The 12th man = 60,000 maroon morons.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

longhrnfan
5000+ posts
11/30/07 02:02 PM

some people dont understand how aircraft fly.

It seems to defy logic, and people refuse to look into the physics.

Idoits.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Dionysus
2500+ posts
11/30/07 02:03 PM

What if the plane were a Harrier with hover capabilities, and it was made of balsa wood filled with helium and the treadmill was in a zero gravity environment? That might work.

Hayden_HornSponsor
25,000+ posts
11/30/07 02:06 PM

this question is such [censored]. the REAL question that people should be approaching is this: what is the air speed velocity of an unladened sparrow?

mez2
2500+ posts
11/30/07 02:19 PM

what if it's inverted?

Never ask a man where's he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you, if he isn't, don't embarass him

TrashMaster G
10,000+ posts
11/30/07 02:28 PM

In reply to:

I say yes, If the treadmill was as long as a runway. Flat surface is all that would be required for take off. If it was a running tread mill it would just make the wheels turn faster, but wouldn't prevent the plane from moving.

So, if we are talking about a runway that is a treadmill down its entire length, you are actually making it harder for the plane to takeoff. The speed of the airplane relative to the treadmill belt is meaningless, and it only represents wasted energy by the engines. The engines would be forced to overcome the rotational speed of the treadmill belt and then provide enough thrust to attain groundspeed over and above that that reaches the rotation velocity for the aircraft.

texashorne
500+ posts
11/30/07 02:31 PM

The fat women at the gym never take off anywhere..

pmg
10,000+ posts
11/30/07 02:46 PM

Fan? What fan? Who said anything about a fan? There's no fan, and no fly.

never mind.

miguelito
2500+ posts
11/30/07 03:01 PM

In reply to:

So, if we are talking about a runway that is a treadmill down its entire length, you are actually making it harder for the plane to takeoff.

Now, if the treadmill was running backwards, it would have a nice slingshot effect.

miguelito
2500+ posts
11/30/07 03:05 PM

CottonEyedHorn
1000+ posts
11/30/07 03:11 PM

What if the treadmill was moving forward, in the direction of takeoff. Would the plane get airborne any faster?

I'm going to TEXAS

S197HQQKEM
1000+ posts
11/30/07 03:15 PM

uh, wouln't them there two vertical bars rite thar in front rip them wings right off as that lillte aeroplane went by?

make a hell of a mess it would.

now if you too a big ass tread mill and hooked it to a aerocraft carrier catapult and then put the aeroplane on top pf the treadmill and then fired that catapult, that treadmill would shoot right off of the end of the carrier whoooooosh!!!!!!!!!!! but what would happen to the airplan on top?

what if it was an osprey?

why am I not wearing any pants?

Be seeing you!

Superfan
500+ posts
11/30/07 03:24 PM
Re: Can an airplane takeoff from a treadmill? [re: Hayden_Horn]

In reply to:

this question is such [censored]. the REAL question that people should be approaching is this: what is the air speed velocity of an unladened sparrow?

You should probably watch that movie a few more times... A SPARROW?

Vince Young Vince Young Vince Young. Rocks your ass. All night long. The paragon of how to play a football game and we’ll never see better.

tx 3 putt
1000+ posts
11/30/07 03:25 PM

I post on hornfans, owned by a person with an airplane degree, and i'll say no.

Are they serving Whataburger or In / Out on the plane ? This factor alone would way the heaviest in my yes / no decision.

mantaray
500+ posts
11/30/07 03:41 PM

You just have to know where to look for such answers.

austintexas
2500+ posts
11/30/07 03:59 PM

88 miles per hour!!!!

1949 - 1950 - 1975 - 1983 - 2002 - 2005

chuychanga
500+ posts
11/30/07 04:08 PM

In reply to:

True, but once the plane passed the fan its airspeed would drop precipitously. If the plane was not moving fast enough relative to ground and wind to meet its rotation velocity, it would crash after it passed the fan.

If a fan was the only thing producing the airflow, the plane would never pass it, it would just lift off and hover. The airflow will produce lift, but not forward motion. You can hover or even move backwards in a small plane if you slow way up and have a big enough headwind.

As has been said, the whole treadmill notion is ridiculous.

LonghornGirlieAdministrator
5000+ posts
11/30/07 04:12 PM

African or European? It isn't a question of where he grips it. It is a question of weight ratios.

Hook 'em Horns

Beau Vine
1000+ posts
11/30/07 04:19 PM

Yes, as long as the treadmill is strapped to the top of a very fast train.

kangstaSponsor
1000+ posts
11/30/07 04:23 PM

I think the more important question here is where the hell are you going to get a treadmill that big? They only come in human size, and maybe dog size. Not DC-10 size

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy