Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
Shark4
1000+ posts
01/04/10 09:06 PM
Re: B10 Expansion. Horn fans need to read this...

...and I'd love to hear your comments. It is the most thoughtful piece I've seen and completely changed my mind about the possibility of...well, read the article.

All in favor say "Aye"

This would bury the SEC

\/\/\/\/
Shark4
/\/\/\/\

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Back to Texas
250+ posts
01/04/10 09:22 PM
Re: B10 Expansion. Horn fans need to read this... [re: Shark4]

I have a lot of respect for the academics in the Big 10, but this just doesn't excite me. Texas has almost nothing to gain by playing most of the schools in football and wouldn't mean more to me than winning out current schedule.

OU>tOSU
UNL=PSU
Ok State = Wiscy
Tech = Iowa
A&M = Michigan
etc
etc

He makes great points about the power position Texas is in with bringing the Texas TV markets, but this isn't what I would blow ups status quo for.

"It takes a special person to understand and love being a part of the traditions that encompass being an Aggie. The "average" person will never understand what it means to "Bleed Maroon"." -texags poster

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

SitraAchra
100+ posts
01/04/10 09:26 PM

Aye.

kgpSponsor
2500+ posts
01/04/10 09:33 PM

Aggy=Michigan???

pax,
kp

texas_ex2000
1000+ posts
01/04/10 09:39 PM

Texas does not belong to a conference that includes Pennsylvania.

smwhornSponsor
2500+ posts
01/04/10 09:42 PM

aggy = Michigan ? Please tell us all you were joking.

"Meet me in the Land of Hope and Dreams. . . . . "--Springsteen

general35
5000+ posts
01/04/10 10:01 PM

Geographically it makes little sense, however, academically it does. TX would not be a good match for the SEC. Tx couldnt leave alone though. I think we would be stuck with A&M.

dmkhorns
< 25 posts
01/04/10 10:06 PM
Re: B10 Expansion. Horn fans need to read this... [re: Back to Texas]

UNL=PSU??

Not in 1994.

Texasboozer
1000+ posts
01/04/10 10:07 PM

When Texas went to the Big12, the state politicians got involved. Not sure that wouldn't happen again. It would certainly spruce up our schedule.

BigWill
10,000+ posts
01/04/10 10:10 PM

Northwestern would kick the [censored] out of aggy.

BevoJoe
2500+ posts
01/04/10 10:20 PM

No way!! We don't belong with all those yaqnkee schools. That would suck.

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Shark4
1000+ posts
01/04/10 10:21 PM
Re: B10 Expansion. Horn fans need to read this... [re: BigWill]

In reply to:

Northwestern would kick the [censored] out of aggy.

Yeah, pretty much.

\/\/\/\/
Shark4
/\/\/\/\

TexanneSponsor
10,000+ posts
01/04/10 10:29 PM

I'd like to see the Texas powers that be explore this. It's an interesting proposal, and one I'd prefer to the Pac 10.

Oklahoma: First they stole the land. Then they stole their colors from Harvard, their fight song from Yale, their players from Texas, and their state song from a Broadway play. -- Elgin Hot Sausage

Orangesweat
2002 Omaha Challenge Champion
01/04/10 10:37 PM

In reply to:

A&M = Michigan

Shark4
1000+ posts
01/04/10 10:40 PM
Re: B10 Expansion. Horn fans need to read this... [re: BevoJoe]

In reply to:

No way!! We don't belong with all those yaqnkee schools. That would suck.

Perhaps but I'd bet that $30 million/yr in TV money (up from $12 million now) would diminish the suckage.

\/\/\/\/
Shark4
/\/\/\/\

jdelatorreSponsor
250+ posts
01/04/10 10:42 PM

Any major conference realignment at this point will likely involve "geographic challenge" if the goal is bring in new television markets.

Friday
1000+ posts
01/04/10 10:49 PM

Interesting. Eventually, I think Notre Dame will come around. If Texas did bolt, the remaining scramble would be mayhem. Colorado, Aggie, Nebraska, and Oklahoma would start banging on the Pac 10 door.

catfishhorn
500+ posts
01/04/10 10:51 PM

Not just no, but HELL NO!!

At least now it's pretty easy to travel to the away games.

A Democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover...

TexLaw04
1000+ posts
01/04/10 10:53 PM

I am not a fan of Texas moving to the Big Ten, but this guy has put forward the best arguments for both sides and unquestionably the best analysis I have read. There's no doubt there would be a good academic and program-profile match with the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc.

However, I cannot simply get over the geography. The poorest analogy of this guy's piece is the Cowboys and the NFC East. When it comes to pro sports divisions, geography can be meaningless (remember when the Braves were in the NL West? And the Falcons in the NFC West?). It's not a big deal for the Cowboys to make a trip to New York, Philly and DC over the course of a season.

For college sports, though, it's a whole different story. In sports like basketball, we'd have to make trips all the way to State College in the middle of the week in some instances. The closest Big Ten city to Austin is farther away than the farthest Big XII city. This means that there's no way we could make the move by ourselves.

In the long run (say 10-15 years), I just don't think the Big XII is viable. The population base is by far the smallest of the BCS conferences, and this means our TV deals will never be what the SEC's or Big Ten's is. Eventually, the large TV markets of the west coast will be tempting to Colorado, or the Big Ten markets will tempt Missouri or possibly Iowa State. If either of those things happens, the conference will be hard-pressed to survive, as Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma simply have a fraction of the TV sets as Texas does.

I really think that we could see a shift toward some 16-team "superconferences," which I personally think is long overdue. For example, you could have a Pac-10 that includes Colorado, Utah, BYU, Boise State, Colorado State and Nebraska. An expanded Big Ten could add Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Notre Dame. The SEC could add Texas, A&M, OU and Oklahoma State.

The next step would be to further define the strata in Division I athletics. Whereas we currently have I-A and I-AA, a new I-AAA subdivision could be created, with the likes of New Mexico State, Idaho, Ball State, Florida International, etc. These schools really have no business competing at the I-A level anyway.

With 16-team conferences, you'd have two 8-team divisions, and you'd play only the teams in your division during the regular season. Then you'd play the other division in a CCG. This sets things up perfectly for an eventual national championship playoff.

Just my two cents.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man.

Longhorny630
500+ posts
01/04/10 10:54 PM

Aye, as I currently get the Big 10 network and would love to see every single game on TV.

IM Legend 2009
"Civil Engineers build targets, Aerospace Engineers build the bombs."

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy