Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
omnipresent
1000+ posts
11/17/12 06:28 PM
the SEC is....

a FARCE. I know, I know..and water's wet

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Trusted Insider
500+ posts
11/17/12 07:46 PM
Re: the SEC is.... [re: omnipresent]

it's such a joke.
lsu eeks by ole miss. s. carolina slips past mighty wofford.

"I agree that you think that" - Aaron P. Simpson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

omnipresent
1000+ posts
11/17/12 10:32 PM

Backing into the big game.. damn

NBHorn7
1000+ posts
11/17/12 10:33 PM

going to be in MNC game again.

If you invite trouble, he usually shows up.

havoc7701
< 25 posts
11/17/12 10:44 PM

Now I have to root for the hated Domerz or SEC team. We need a playoff. Look at the high school quality opponents the SEC played today!

Bevo Incognito
1000+ Posts
11/18/12 12:30 AM

In reply to:

lsu eeks by ole miss. s. carolina slips past mighty wofford.

South Carolina was actually outgained by Wofford, which threw the ball only three times.

Loma Vista
100+ posts
11/18/12 07:33 AM

The should go the entire season without an OOC top 25 win like the Big XII and THEN they'd get the respect they deserve.

scottyhorn
250+ posts
11/18/12 07:37 AM

SEC wins another national championship and the conference gets another Heisman trophy winner!

Bill in Sinton
5000+ posts
11/18/12 09:03 AM

Unfortunately thanks for Stanford and Baylor we are going to have to hear the SEC crow again with another NC. I don't think ND can beat one of them and maybe not even USC. I am not an ND fan at all but I hope I am wrong.

1963_Frosh
250+ posts
11/18/12 09:10 AM

If USC upsets ND, we'll have another all-SEC Championship!

BigEarlinBastrop
500+ posts
11/18/12 03:41 PM

Ole Miss takes LSU to the final seconds of game. mmmm, did any SEC opponent demolish Ole Miss like we did? The Link

horninchicagoSponsor
1000+ posts
11/18/12 04:00 PM

Unless you are in a conversation with a fan of a team like Bama, who can win the SEC, what difference does it make to any Texas fan about "SEC fans" bragging about their conference? If they are so stupid that they feel self worth based on conference, then what does their opinion matter?

Hookem123
1000+ posts
11/18/12 04:31 PM

The SEC is only considered good from playing themselves.

giveemhell
1000+ posts
11/18/12 04:36 PM

In reply to:

Unless you are in a conversation with a fan of a team like Bama, who can win the SEC, what difference does it make to any Texas fan about "SEC fans" bragging about their conference?

I don't think anyone cares about SEC fans bragging about their conference. The bigger issue is that the SEC's overblown reputation (based on the fact that their conference has parity and a bunch of crappy offenses) enables them to squeak one (or even two) of their teams into the BCS championship game every single year.

Loma Vista
100+ posts
11/18/12 05:13 PM

In reply to:

And Michigan.

And Louisiana Tech

And Florida State

And Clemson

Of course, the Big XII did have one game against an top 25 team this year so there is that.

cygnus
100+ posts
11/18/12 05:48 PM

Can someone explain to me how Georgia is deserving of a #3 ranking when they have only played two ranked opponents all year, and got blown out 35-7 by one of them?

envgeo
500+ posts
11/18/12 06:56 PM
Re: the SEC is.... [re: Loma Vista]

Mich is #20. La Tech is unranked. FSU hasn't played a SEC team, Clem beat Aub. so what's your point?

Trinity Ag
500+ posts
11/18/12 07:13 PM

In reply to:

The "SEC over rated" theme will be tested in the bowl games. But it isn't just bias and magic that gives the SEC its reputation.

Over past five years In the regular season, Alabama is 5-0 against ranked teams OOC. Add bowl games and Bama is 7-1. Since 2008 Alabama has played as many regular season games against ranked OOC opponents as Texas has in the entire Mack Brown era (5).

OOC in 2011, LSU beat #3 Oregon 40-27, and #16 WVU 47-21 -- both "spread" teams. Over the past five years, they are 4-0 OOC against ranked teams regular season, and 5-1 including bowls.

Those two teams set the tone for external perceptions of the SEC.

Over that same time period, Texas has played no ranked OOC teams in the regular season, and is 1-1 against ranked bowl opponents, and 0-1 against ranked SEC opponents (Alabama).

OU, the bell cow of the BigXII is 5-4 overall against OOC ranked teams, and 0-1 against ranked SEC opponents (Florida).

Does the SEC unfairly benefit from the well deserved reputations of LSU and Alabama? Sure.

If there is a conference that has a better argument against non-conference opponents, then make it with numbers

Vol Horn 4 Life
2500+ posts
11/18/12 07:15 PM

I believe he was talking about playing ranked opponents. Florida plays Florida State in the last game and La Tech was ranked after Aggy beat them.

Still, that's no stellar ooc schedule just like the Big XII. I think the point is that everyone complains that the SEC plays no one worth a damn out of conference, but neither does the Big XII.

giveemhell
1000+ posts
11/18/12 07:21 PM

In reply to:

If there is a conference that has a better argument against non-conference opponents, then make it with numbers

"Judging by inter-conference records -- that is to say actual games as opposed to media guesswork and bestowed rankings -- the SEC plays other BCS conferences about equally. Witness the record since the start of the BCS era in 1998":

SEC vs. PAC-12 regular season: 10-12
SEC vs. PAC-12 bowl games: 1-0
SEC vs. Big 12 regular season: 6-10
SEC vs. Big 12 bowl games: 21-8
SEC vs. ACC regular season: 42-36
SEC vs. ACC bowl games: 16-9
SEC vs. Big 10 regular season: 7-4
SEC vs. Big 10 bowl games: 19-19
SEC vs. Big East regular season: 16-15
SEC vs. Big East bowl game: 3-8

"The record is clear. In head-to-head match-ups against other major conferences, the SEC has either a combined losing record or one that's generally only a little better than even."

Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy