Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
omnipresent
1000+ posts
12/07/12 12:24 AM
Jake Waters

Yet another JUCO QB getting attention from Harsin.. WTH is up with QB's?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Hook 'Em Danno
1000+ posts
12/07/12 01:06 AM
Re: Jake Waters [re: omnipresent]

According to hookem.com, this guy really has potential and is interested in Texas. He's also getting attention from K-State, Penn State, N.C. State, and Alabama.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden (1910-2010)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

omnipresent
1000+ posts
12/07/12 07:01 AM

Not doubting him.. my questions/concerns are:

1) is Brewer leaving?
2) is confidence in Ash at an all time low?
3) Overstreet = Chiles? (aka John Childs)
4) Case proved he's no Colt
5) what does this say to QB's we're already recruiting?

dillohorn
1000+ posts
12/07/12 08:05 AM

^^ I feel like omni does. 2 years ago I thought UT's future was qb rich. Now all of a sudden there is no adequate qb? What in the hell is going on with this position? Get out the duct tape?

Horns11Sponsor
1000+ posts
12/07/12 08:24 AM

1) is Brewer leaving?
There were no signs of this, but if MackHarsin aren't getting what they want out of Ash/McCoy, AND they've already made it clear to Brewer that he's 3rd in the pecking order behind both of those underachievers, then it wouldn't surprise me.

2) is confidence in Ash at an all time low?
It can't be great. He had such a great stretch from Baylor to ISU that I think he got a little overconfident heading into TCU. Then his rib got hurt and he doesn't have the tools to compensate for playing hurt, like Colt did in several games.

3) Overstreet = Chiles? (aka John Childs)
Because of Brewer, I've said that since he signed his LOI. I can't imagine that Harsin hasn't created plays/packages for him because that's the way Harsin rolls. But if he's discontented by the way the QB situation has been handled, AND sees Swoopes/Heard coming in for the next two years, the writing might be on the wall for him. He could be biding his time until Mike Davis leaves.

4) Case proved he's no Colt
Uhh... yeah.

5) what does this say to QB's we're already recruiting?
Well, considering the JUCO guys we're recruiting are about the same eligibility level as Ash, it's more of a message to the guys we already have on campus than the guys who are incoming. I'll be honest: I don't see Swoopes starring here like VY. From every old and recent piece of evidence and film, he's neither a gunslinger nor a speedster, and would be at a huge disadvantage showing up so raw. Heard looks like the real deal compared to Swoopes, but he's two years away from being a college freshman, and by then, whoever we get from JUCO will either be a senior (or a 4th-year junior in McEvoy's case).

Statalyzer
25,000+ posts
12/07/12 08:35 AM

If we had more consistent WRs, and/or a less consistent(ly dominated) OL we could win with "Case not being Colt" at QB. Many of the MNCs lately have been won by guys with "game managers" or even just flat-out mediocre players at the QB position. Craig Krenzel, Chris Leak, Greg McElroy, AJ McCarron, Matt Mauck, Tee Martin. How closely McCoy, Ash, Brewer, Overstreet, or anyone we're looking at is to those specific guys isn't really the issue, but none of that group of MNC-winning QBs would look nearly as good as they did if you put them on the 2010-2012 Texas Longhorns.

Hook 'Em Danno
1000+ posts
12/07/12 08:38 AM
Re: Jake Waters [re: Horns11]

As I understand it, a kid like Waters would have 2 years of eligibility left. I don't think that necessarily impacts Brewer since he would theoretically have to sit two more years behind Ash anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see Overstreet and Swoopes change positions and Heard (like any other 2014 recruit) would still be in the same place in the pecking order. Ash would be the odd man out if Waters came on board and started.

That's my $.02 anyway.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden (1910-2010)

ViperHornSponsor
2500+ posts
12/07/12 08:57 AM
Re: Jake Waters [re: Statalyzer]

I agree with Statalyzer on the OL. The OL drop-off has been greater than the QB drop-off. There was noting in the OL tank or pipeline after 2009. This is my issue with Mack.

Ash had a year to prove he had his mechanics down so the in the ground 5 yards behind the receiver and the 10 feet over the receiver head passes would be eliminated. These did stop EXCEPT when he was pressured an/or the pass was needed in a critical situation. Unfortunately, like the business world, it is how you perform in must have pressure situations that separate the good from the great. Perhaps the JUCO search is to put more pressure on Ash than McCoy can.

Brewer and Overstreet knew they were going to be red-shirted going into the season so there should not be worries this off-season with those two.

The pressure is on everyone associated with the Texas program now. As I said in another thread, if Texas is not 11-0 going into the Baylor game in 2013, the only question will be will Mack announce his resignation before or after the game.

2013 - No Excuses

dalhorn1
1000+ posts
12/07/12 09:09 AM

If this Jake Waters QB is being heavily recruited by KState, then by all means, keep the heat on him. Seems that Snyder has a knack for turning singles into in-park HR's, where we've been swinging for the bleachers to come up with bupkis.

Since BigXII founding:
aggy 5-11 vs OU
aggy 6-10 vs Tech
aggy 5-11 vs Texas

Clean
1000+ posts
12/07/12 09:17 AM

In reply to:

If this Jake Waters QB is being heavily recruited by KState, then by all means, keep the heat on him. Seems that Snyder has a knack for turning singles into in-park HR's, where we've been swinging for the bleachers to come up with bupkis.

It's like finding out what stocks Warren Buffet is buying and buying the same ones. Our staff is obviously totally incompetent to evaluate QBs (i.e. Conner Wood, Case, Ash, John Brantley, GG, while passing on RG3, Manziel, etc. etc. etc.)

omnipresent
1000+ posts
12/07/12 09:19 AM

Snyder makes more with less...polar opposite of Mack

I agree re: OL depth/recruiting drop off. Maybe we could put WTH about almost any position, come to think of it

gahornphan
100+ posts
12/07/12 03:36 PM

I just believe that Mack learned his lesson from the Garrett Gilbert disaster. That episode set this program back at least 3 years, IMHO. Not only did he miss terribly on GG, but by assuming he would be "the guy", he let other potential star qb's pass us by. "We have a 5 star, Gatorade player of the year - the rest of you chumps either play safety or move on." Seems he didn't even want to entertain the idea of recruiting another qb for fear of losing his prize - Gilbert.
Now, he's going all over the country looking for qb talent, not leaving any stone unturned. He dosen't care which of the current qbs on the roster threatens to transfer. He's going to force competition at that position for a change. That's how it's done in the SEC. If you can't play, you sit. If you want to transfer - go.

wadster
2500+ posts
12/07/12 04:03 PM

Case was never recruited to be a starter. That was supposed to be GG and Case was here as insurance. GG and Ash were supposed to be the starters and neither materialized into trusted commodities. Now we gotta go find one so by all means find one. If Ash or McCoy transfer, it's not that big a deal, however with Case being a Sr. can't imagine he'd transfer. He can still get his degree and get a job in the real world. He was never going to play pro ball anyway.

Finger Likcin'
250+ posts
12/07/12 04:15 PM

Mack is what's up with QB's.

Texas Taps
5000+ posts
12/07/12 04:24 PM
Re: Jake Waters [re: Finger Likcin']

In reply to:

Mack is what's up with QB's.

Uh, VY and Colt, plus everyone and their brother wanted Gilbert and Simms

How you like me now?

Edited by Texas Taps (12/07/12 04:35 PM)

LonghornCatholic
2500+ posts
12/07/12 05:01 PM

I actually think Ash is a very good QB but with our defense giving up so many points, they don't make it easy on him.

ViperHornSponsor
2500+ posts
12/08/12 07:15 AM
Re: Jake Waters [re: LonghornCatholic]

In reply to:

defense giving up so many points

The defense lost the WV game, and the coaches lost the ou game. However, the last half of the season the defense played ok. All the offense had to do was score 21 against TCU. Take away the 14 K-State points on turnovers and Texas is in that game.

2013 - No Excuses

VYFan
2500+ posts
12/08/12 08:17 AM

Ash has had far more good days than bad, especially if we are going to revise the TCU experience to be an injury explanation. Sure, I'd rather have a better guy, but there were a lot of weaker links in the chain than Ash this year. Even against OU, it wasn't like Ash was missing wide open receivers or throwing the weak outs to the sideline like Case did against KSU. It was an OL jailbreak every down and no receiver could get open.

It could be that the staff already knows that Brewer is the best guy on campus, or that he's useless--I just have no way to know that. I guess you guys think this Juco pursuit means the latter.

envgeo
1000+ posts
12/08/12 08:18 AM
Re: Jake Waters [re: ViperHorn]

Is there any truth to Ash being hurt during TCU? if it was a rib injury i can see how that would cause him to be off kilter. Most of the year he was pretty good.

el squared
1000+ posts
12/08/12 08:31 AM

In reply to:

Uh, VY and Colt, plus everyone and their brother wanted Gilbert and Simms

More whiffs than these 2 geniuses (Gilbert and Simms), but having the QB run for their lives because you cannot protect him is a bigger issue. What if Colt really had even semi legit protection in 2008-2009. Would Saban or Mack be the genius now? I guess the CEO didn't think the OL matters much (until he was desperate). I guess the CEO didn't talk about the OL while driving a golf cart at Steiner Ranch......

A little squirt like McElroy beats us in the NC. Now Bama has another little Mr. Average (AJ)...but their OL and DL have been strong as most elite teams have known this is critical for success. Just not on the 40 acres...

....you are unique, just like everyone else....

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy