Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Sports
   >> On The Field

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
SectionThree
500+ posts
08/28/13 05:20 PM
4,000 autographs and no money AT ALL

Got it. Makes perfect sense. So ESPN backtracks if aggy agrees to not sue.
Aggy says 'nothing to see here, move along', and we are getting back to
the Sherrill days of aggy malfeasance. These boyz r fitting right in with the SEC.
Play ball.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

l00pSponsor
25,000+ posts
08/28/13 05:22 PM
Re: 4,000 autographs and no money AT ALL [re: SectionThree]

The NCAA needs to be dismantled. Not just because of this but because they have become useless and more of a problem. They are virtually toothless when it comes to legal matters unless evidence is right in front of their face. Some schools get in trouble, others don't. Their very lack of subpoena power demonstrates a major shortcoming of theirs.

They need to be torn down and a new version created that will actually provide the function they started out to do.

I am not a sunshine pumper and I am not a MB/Diaz/whoever hater. I am a Horns optimist and plan on remaining so for years to come. - HornSwoggler

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

No le hace
250+ posts
08/28/13 06:03 PM

I agree with you 100%. The first thought that I had was that I need to talk with a friend that is a big gun in a major Vegas book. There has got to be a decent proposition bet, somewhere in Vegas, that will quote odds on whatever may become of the NCAA.

“Although the alumni have many ways of reaching a football game, they usually ride the coaches”
-- The Ranger, 1956

Third Coast
10,000+ posts
08/28/13 06:30 PM

I don't know if it will be 5 years, or 10 years, but the NCAA is living on borrowed time - at least in it's present form.

Dennis Dodd at CBS has written several articles on the NCAA's inevitable demise in conjunction with the emergence of a "Division 4" in college football.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby appears to be on board.

Division 4 to revolutionize college athletics

militaryhornSponsor
500+ posts
08/28/13 06:44 PM

Can we start Division 4 football tomorrow?

HOOK'EM

#2is#1
500+ posts
08/28/13 07:07 PM

He did it for his favorite charity. The Sam Adams restoration foundation

"He counted on America to be passive. He counted wrong." President Ronald Reagan April 14th 1986

VYFan
2500+ posts
08/28/13 07:50 PM

Who can possibly believe Manziel would sign that many balls for sports merchandisers for nothing? And be caught on tape saying that it never happened? Who believes that?

Larry T. Spider
2500+ posts
08/28/13 09:27 PM

Nobody believes it. But there has to be some burden of proof that the NCAA must meet.

I f-ing hate OU.

Crockett
2500+ posts
08/29/13 06:10 AM

He beat the rap, fair and square. The issue is decided. A&M and Manziel are almost as innocent as Auburn and Cam Newton (Just a half a game suspension more consequences.)

Obsession about fairness can really be a bummer, so I'm moving on.

Texas Taps
10,000+ posts
08/29/13 06:16 AM
Re: 4,000 autographs and no money AT ALL [re: l00p]

In reply to:

Their very lack of subpoena power demonstrates a major shortcoming of theirs.

Uh, obviously JM took money, but he committed no crime. When the NCAA can jail folks, that's when they should have the power of subpoena

How you like me now?

Texas Taps
10,000+ posts
08/29/13 06:18 AM
Re: 4,000 autographs and no money AT ALL [re: Larry T. Spider]

In reply to:

Nobody believes it. But there has to be some burden of proof that the NCAA must meet.

Exactly. JM stuck with his story and no one else was willing to cooperate

How you like me now?

Tommy_Grand
1000+ posts
08/29/13 06:48 AM

Congrats to aggy; he beat the rap. "deserve" got nothing to do with it. somebody save that lawyer's business card -- might be a good # for the rolodex now that old Johnny Cochran is underground

WabashCannon
500+ posts
08/29/13 07:35 AM

WhatShouldHeDo

Texas Taps
10,000+ posts
08/29/13 11:26 AM

The Link

How you like me now?

l00pSponsor
25,000+ posts
08/29/13 11:27 AM

I was expecting the link above to be to Longhorn Network or the Texas Athletic site.

I am not a sunshine pumper and I am not a MB/Diaz/whoever hater. I am a Horns optimist and plan on remaining so for years to come. - HornSwoggler

Texas Taps
10,000+ posts
08/29/13 11:32 AM
Re: 4,000 autographs and no money AT ALL [re: l00p]

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

How you like me now?

SeaGail
100+ posts
08/29/13 11:37 AM

Compare to Dez Bryant, who was not so "lucky"! And he is mad - not necessarily at Manziel, but at the NCAA for being so unfair and inconsistent in its rulings!

Dez Bryant - 4 games into the season ruled ineligible for LYING to NCAA officials - lying! Read this article:
The Link

Texas Taps
10,000+ posts
08/29/13 11:39 AM
Re: 4,000 autographs and no money AT ALL [re: SeaGail]

Kabongo got punished for lying too. JM must not have ever changed his story

How you like me now?

SeaGail
100+ posts
08/29/13 11:50 AM

In other words, he never told the truth! That's my instinct - and one day, one day, there will be some kind of payback.

El Sapo
2500+ posts
08/29/13 11:50 AM

I'm thinking Dez Bryant probably didn't have an attorney versed in NCAA laws coaching him through what and what not to say. The Manziels played this very well.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy