Support our SPONSORS Home | Site Map | Shopping Cart Shop the Co-op | Email A Friend | Contact Us
Home
HornFansTV
Interactive
Sports
On The Field
In The Stands
Recruiting
Basketball
Basketball (W)
Baseball
Other Sports
Other
Cactus Cafe
West Mall
Quackenbush's
Rusty's Grill
Esther's Follies
Horn Depot
Swap Meet
Manor Downs
Prayer Requests
Horn Network
On The Road Again
Archives
Around Austin
Classics
PCL
Locker Room
Senior Salute
2001-02 Seniors
2002-03 Seniors
2003-04 Seniors
2004-05 Seniors
2005-06 Seniors
Other
Chat
Email
Links
Posting Guidelines
Football
Recruiting
Basketball
Baseball
Other Sports
Around Austin
About Us
Fiesta Bowl Tickets
Rose Bowl Tickets

Become a HornFans Sponsor

Other
   >> West Mall

Pages in this thread: << 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | (show all)   Rate thread Print Thread
Coelacanth
2500+ posts
08/12/10 10:37 PM
Re: North pole to melt this year? [re: hornpharmd]

GT_WT was Hindu?

How did I miss that thread?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

mop
5000+ posts
08/12/10 11:10 PM

you didn't coel...i am having fun extrapolating from things he has said. i could be wrong....my point is that stereotyping is ridiculous and bigotry is too....although so far i haven't actually said anything bigoted at all, while he says bigoted things all the time.

GT....were you ever Hindu?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Email Post   Notify Moderator  Nominate for Classics

Coelacanth
2500+ posts
08/12/10 11:23 PM

Ok, I was starting to wonder which caste he had relegated me to. Who knows: maybe there's a caste for science deniers.

mop
5000+ posts
08/12/10 11:45 PM

yeah..i guess that's quite possible as there are thousands of castes in Hinduism. GT....is this what's going on here?

pasotex
2500+ posts
08/13/10 12:53 AM

I believe your caste is the unthinkables ...

Hook 'em!

mop
5000+ posts
08/13/10 01:09 AM
Re: North pole to melt this year? [re: pasotex]

nice paso....that's actually quite funny!

are you claiming Hindu origins?

would you be from the elpasobles?

hornpharmd
10,000+ posts
08/13/10 08:04 AM
Re: North pole to melt this year? [re: mop]

In reply to:

it's very simple hornpharmd...i get it because no matter how many times i agree that we have seen a downtrend over the past 30 years, you pretend that i don't believe that or that i somehow deny that fact.

My quesiton was regarding this statement:

"but because i mention my thoughts on why we have seen a downtrend"

I don't believe I have questioned you on why you are thinking there is a downward trnd. I have questioned you on why you try to point your fingers in every other directions as if to take away from the fact that arctic sea ice is on the decline right now (30 year trend).

hornpharmd
10,000+ posts
08/13/10 08:06 AM
Re: North pole to melt this year? [re: pasotex]

In reply to:

I think there is more than enough science and more than enough danger that reasonable steps toward limiting carbon output should be taken. I do not think we should wreck our economy over it because we almost certainly can adjust to some change. The problem I have is that we are doing absolutely nothing and this is very foolish given the time frames involved for the impact of any changes. The real danger that I see is to global food production.

Great point Paso. Fact is that we only can produce the food we currently do globally b/c of the hidden sunlight found in fossil fuels. We are living on borrowed time. I heard an estimate that the planet could only support a population of about 1/2 Billion if it were not for fossil fuels. Very interesting.

Texoz
5000+ posts
08/13/10 09:54 AM

In reply to:

This past winter's negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation transported old ice (four, five, and more years old) from an area north of the Canadian Archipelago. The ice was flushed southwards and westward into the Beaufort and Chukchi seas, as noted in our April post. Ice age data show that back in the 1970s and 1980s, old ice drifting into the Beaufort Sea would generally survive the summer melt season. However, the old, thick ice that moved into this region is now beginning to melt out, which could further deplete the Arctic’s remaining store of old, thick ice. The loss of thick ice has been implicated as a major cause of the very low September sea ice minima observed in recent years.

The Link

So, will the Arctic continue to lose ice at a rapid pace?

Magic 8 Ball says, "It is decidedly so."

Texoz
5000+ posts
08/13/10 09:59 AM
Re: North pole to melt this year? [re: MojoMan]

In reply to:

Clearly, the Earth was colder then, and it is warmer now. The observation that the Arctic ice cap is melting is an observation that goes back around 12,000 years. Nearly all of the melting that has occurred, occurred prior to the industrial age (which goes back less than 200 years). All of the melting that occurred prior to the beginning of the industrial age is obviously NOT a result of "anthropogenic global warming".

And now, over the last 10+ years, the Earth has actually cooled a bit. We are not at all time highs even within our lifetimes. Here is an article from the BBC on the topic:

What happened to global warming?

If the effect of CO2 that has been and is being pumped into the atmosphere is as compelling and dangerous as the AGW alarmists suggest, then how is it possible that the Earth has actually cooled over the last decade? If you take the predictive climate models used by Al Gore and his associates at the United Nations seriously, then we are in a state of crisis, the situation is dire, the need for corrective action is urgent and their is no time for delay.

But truth be told, none of these predictive climate models used by Al Gore and the UN predicted the cooling period that we are now entering. But here it is anyway. What are we to make of that?

What these people have been preaching to us is not reliable science. It is agenda-driven propaganda. Once again, the Earth has certainly warmed. But the so-called science surrounding the claims of the AGW alarmists is weak and not sufficiently substantiated to warrant betting our economic futures on. There needs to be a lot more work done on this.

The Link

The fact that you don't know that the last 6 months has been the hottest 6 months GLOBALLY on record speaks for itself.

Two other very important things you need to know.

By some measures 1998 was the warmest year on record, others say 2005. What was going on in 1998? The strongest El Nino on record. The El Nino we just experienced wasn't even close to being as strong as the one in 1998. The next time we have an El Nino like 1998 we will easily surpass 1998's global temps.

Secondly, solar activity was in the mid range of activity during 1998 and 2005. During 2010, it was at its lowest level in decades.

So with a moderate El Nino and zero solar activity we just had the warmest 6 months on record.

Edited by Texoz (08/13/10 10:14 AM)

GT WT
1000+ posts
08/13/10 10:10 AM

In reply to:

don't kid yourself GT...you are a bigot of the worst kind.

How does disliking your attitude towards science make me a bigot?

[subliminal]May Shiva lay your fields to waste![/subliminal]

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
-Sinclair Lewis

mop
5000+ posts
08/13/10 10:35 AM
Re: North pole to melt this year? [re: GT WT]

GT....because you don't criticize my attitude on science...you criticize some strawman caricature of my attitude on science based on your personal bigotry. you are clearly a bigot and can't even admit it. if i said the things you say about any other religion or about gays or blacks or asians or indians, i would rightfully be considered a bigot.

so are you a former HIndu?

GT WT
1000+ posts
08/13/10 10:44 AM

In reply to:

if i said the things you say about any other religion or about gays or blacks or asians or indians, i would rightfully be considered a bigot..

Quote me MOP.

In reply to:

so are you a former HIndu?

No.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
-Sinclair Lewis

mop
5000+ posts
08/13/10 10:47 AM

GT...i don't need to quote you...it is clear to anyone who has read this thread that i am correct. you are biased against me because i am a Christian not because my arguments in any way reflect the accusations you levy against me.

and i think you are a former hindu.....where all have you done your studies?

GT WT
1000+ posts
08/13/10 12:37 PM

In reply to:

you are biased against me because i am a Christian

Quote me MOP. Or is it simply that you feel persecuted? If persecuted, it must be because of your faith, right? It's good to be persecuted for your faith. That puts you with the saints.

In reply to:

and i think you are a former hindu

What business would that be of yours? Do you think that my putative Hindu past would predispose me to a prejudice against good Christians such as you? That's silly. One doesn't have to be a Hindu to dislike science denial.

-Sinclair Lewis

mop
5000+ posts
08/13/10 01:19 PM

GT...i could pull out quote after quote from this thread, but i am too tired (and moving to california in 2 days with my entire family in tow)......sorry, just don't have the energy to show you that black is black (that's a reference to your bigotry)

but you are right...i can rejoice that i am being persecuted for my faith. it does somewhat amuse me though when supposedly "liberal-minded" people show their true colors.

In reply to:

What business would that be of yours?

you rag on me for my faith so it becomes of great interest to me to figure out how you became so anti-Christian. i am guessing you grew up Hindu, or at least your father and mother were Hindus and had already become secular when you came along. at any rate, you probably learned this bigotry somehow and i am understandably interested in finding out why....

In reply to:

Do you think that my putative Hindu past would predispose me to a prejudice against good Christians such as you?

not necessarily...but if you grew up Hindu and then rejected your faith and decided all faith was false then it would make great sense. i know most Hindus would be quite the opposite of you actually...but an academician who has embraced secularism and atheism like you have would have an axe to grind with someone like me who believes in God and also happens to disagree with you on unrelated issues like AGW.

In reply to:

That's silly. One doesn't have to be a Hindu to dislike science denial.

oh i agree......but i think you are an x-hindu and that's different. it is also clear that your issue isn't my alleged science denial but the fact that i don't agree with you and happen to be a Christian. you have been trying for years to cram those facts together and relate them in ways that are logically untenable. (not unlike most of your feeble attempts at logic actually)

GT WT
1000+ posts
08/13/10 01:48 PM

In reply to:

GT...i could pull out quote after quote from this thread...

Don't be lazy MOP. Either find quotes that demonstrate my bigotry or admit that you pulled the accusation out of your butt.

-Sinclair Lewis

mop
5000+ posts
08/13/10 02:17 PM

tell you what....we have been on this thread for 2 plus years now and it has only been kept alive because of me......so give me a few weeks (we are going to take our sweet time getting out to California) and i will gladly show you your bigotry.....but let me make a prediction very early...you will deny it (as you have done a dozen times) and claim that you just hate me for my "science denial" but you have many times referenced my faith as the cause of my alleged "science denial" despite the fact that i have told you repeatedly that my faith has nothing to do with it. furthermore, i have plenty of friends who have near identical spiritual beliefs to mine but nonetheless believe in AGW. in fact, i could still be convinced.....just not yet and see lots of reasons to doubt the link.

so when did your family leave Hinduism? was it before your birth or after?

GT WT
1000+ posts
08/13/10 02:30 PM

You're a coward MOP.

-Sinclair Lewis

pasotex
2500+ posts
08/13/10 02:54 PM

If it helps, I can pretend to be Hindu but I would rather pretend to be a Buddhist.

Hook 'em!

Pages in this thread: << 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to

HornFans Home | Contact Us

If you see any typographical errors (it's so hard to find good help these days), or have suggestions about this site, please send us feedback.

© 2000 - 2014 HornFans.com, LLC, all rights reserved. HornFans.com is an independent site and is not affiliated with The University of Texas Athletic Department or the Longhorn Foundation. Opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of HornFans, the University of Texas, the Longhorn Foundation, Anheuser-Busch, Brown-Distributing, or any other of our sponsors, affiliates, partners or users.

Privacy Policy